Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Dzirka
Human being with feelings

Default Midi editor doesn't open at cursor position

Hi, Need help. Example: I'm going through the track in Reaper and I'm hearing something I need to fix in the midi editor, I'll stop playback then I open midi editor to fix a note or whatever but the window open in different location not at the playing cursor location which I expect logically. (all DAW I worked do that) So I have to go always through the midi editor to find the location to find the place I need to fix. Any help?
Dzirka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
solger

How exactly are you opening the MIDI Editor?

And have you already tried placing the mouse cursor at the Play Cursor position before doing a double-click on the Media Item to open the MIDI Editor?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Dzirka

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
How exactly are you opening the MIDI Editor?

And have you already tried placing the mouse cursor at the Play Cursor position before doing a double-click on the Media Item to open the MIDI Editor?
Just double click.. and yes, I always place the cursor at the area I need to edit. It seems, wherever the play cursor is, the midi editor window always open to the center of the project
Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Fabian

This has been a problem for a long time... and it has been posted several times. Here is just one of those posts
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183092
There is a custom action given by James HE in that thread that may fix it. Please let us know if you can get that to work.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Tod

What I've done is set up opening the midi item with shorcut key "E", which I use instead of double clicking. Then in the ME I set up "E" to go to the edit cursor. That way I just double click it.

But just setting up a shortcut key is all you really need, the action is "View: Go to edit cursor".

Also if you have the ME set up as project synced it should open at the edit cursor. To do that go to the menu and select "View/Piano roll timebase/Project synced".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Dzirka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
This has been a problem for a long time... and it has been posted several times. Here is just one of those posts
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183092
There is a custom action given by James HE in that thread that may fix it. Please let us know if you can get that to work.
Thank you Fabian. I tried the custom action recommended at that link... It's weird, it worked for sometime but then I added double-click as a command for that action and then it stopped working... I reset double-click to my default but the custom action I created doesn't open midi editor at the cursor position anymore.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzirka View Post
Thank you Fabian. I tried the custom action recommended at that link... It's weird, it worked for sometime but then I added double-click as a command for that action and then it stopped working... I reset double-click to my default but the custom action I created doesn't open midi editor at the cursor position anymore.
What Mouse Modifiers are you currently using for [Media Item] [left click] and [Media Item][double click]?
I'm just asking, because the left click Action is usually triggered (with the first click) before the double click Action is executed ...
Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #8
Dzirka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
What I've done is set up opening the midi item with shorcut key "E", which I use instead of double clicking. Then in the ME I set up "E" to go to the edit cursor. That way I just double click it.

But just setting up a shortcut key is all you really need, the action is "View: Go to edit cursor".

Also if you have the ME set up as project synced it should open at the edit cursor. To do that go to the menu and select "View/Piano roll timebase/Project synced".
Thank you Tod "View: Go to edit cursor" seems to be the best solution right now
Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
Dzirka

Quote:
What Mouse Modifiers are you currently using for [Media Item] [left click] and [Media Item][double click]?
I'm just asking, because the left click Action is usually triggered (with the first click) before the double click Action is executed ...
[Media Item] [left click]: select item
[Media Item][double click]: MIDI: open in editor
Old 10-23-2017, 02:39 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzirka View Post
[Media Item] [left click]: select item
[Media Item][double click]: MIDI: open in editor
OK. You can try using [Media Item] [left click]: 'Select item and move edit cursor' which should move the cursor to the mouse click position before opening the MIDI editor .
But this will also move the cursor when using a single left click on a Media Item.

Not sure, if this fixes the issue in your case, though ...

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of: under Preferences > Editing Behavior > MIDI Editor, does using a different setting for One MIDI Editor per: media item / track / project make any difference?

Last edited by solger; 10-23-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #11
Dzirka

Quote:
OK. You can try using [Media Item] [left click]: 'Select item and move edit cursor' which should move the cursor to the mouse click position before opening the MIDI editor .
But this will also move the cursor when using a single left click on a Media Item.

Not sure, if this fixes the issue in your case, though...

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of: under Preferences > Editing Behavior > MIDI Editor, does using a different setting for One MIDI Editor per: media item / track / project make any difference?
non of your advice really worked I think I can survive without that. The advice from Tod is the best. Thank you so much anyway

Last edited by Dzirka; 01-29-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #12
Dzirka

Just wondering if any news about this topic? Still having the issue. In other DAW if I open midi editor during playback it will always open at the cursor position, logically.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
_Stevie_

What helped me a great deal:

MIDI editor menu -> Piano roll timebase -> Project synced
That way, the MIDI editor will always have the same position and zoom level
as the arrangement.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post

as the arrangement.
Hi Stevie, yeah that works good if you have your midi editor almost full screen, but it you have the left edge of the ME past the first 3 or 4 bars, then you can't access those bars.

I've got a switch in my toolbar so I can switch between "Timebase Beats" or "Synced to Arrange".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
ChristopherT

Quote:

as the arrangement.
Thanks!!
This is a HUGE timesaver for me, all day long I am opening and closing midi windows, swearing at Reaper every time I open and then need to find where I am.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Stevie, yeah that works good if you have your midi editor almost full screen, but it you have the left edge of the ME past the first 3 or 4 bars, then you can't access those bars.

I've got a switch in my toolbar so I can switch between "Timebase Beats" or "Synced to Arrange".
Hah, sorry Tod, I overlooekd that you already mentioned that method!
But yeah, for me that's the best way I could find.
What's still annoying: some notes hit the ceiling of the ME. Meaning, they aren't centered horizontally, which always involves manual scrolling.

@ChristopherT, glad it helped!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #17
Rusty Falcon

Quote:

as the arrangement.
Thanks for the tip! Been wondering how to get the MIDI piano roll synched every time I open it!
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #18
ivansc

Sad that ALL of the above was addressed and *fixed* in Bars n Pipes Pro for the Amiga computer back in the eighties!!! And it was all done with drop down menu options or hot keys, your choice.

I really wish there was some way to incorporate some of the excellent features that old sequencer had into Reaper....
Old 10-23-2023, 07:04 AM   #19
keaton

I just wanted to add that I too am finding this a problem. Even the suggestion to use the action "View: Go to edit cursor" doesn't work for me in Reaper 7. (It either does nothing or just jumps back to the start).

EDIT: I was confusing the play cursor and edit cursor. Weirdly the jump to edit cursor action is mapped to the " key but then shift+2 is mapped to filtering to channel 2 (on my keyboard they're the same key combos). Very confusing, but just replaced the "jump to edit cursor" shortcut key.

Last edited by keaton; 10-23-2023 at 07:13 AM.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote