Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

They actually list the specs you want to meet or exceed here:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Granted, codecs et al can be extremely complex but uploading to YT and getting the better result they offer is typically pretty simple. If you watch YT, you'll see thousands, OK millions of videos with audio and video quality that is just fine for what YT offers, all of those use vastly differing software but what they have in common is meeting the required specs.

So to iterate, it's not actually that complex for normal operation.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #42
toleolu

Thanks Karbo, I've seen that help screen.

What I meant about whatever works best for you was all the things people were talking about as far as utilities and other things to run on your video before you upload it.

But getting back to my original question, the obvious answer is "NO", there is no commercial account available on You Tube that does what I was asking, but as is always the case on this forum, got a lot of good related information. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be uploading my video at 1280 X 720 thinking that's what You Tube reformats it to. The 1920 X 1080 .mkv files look great for what I do, and it seems to me they process a little faster and I don't get that message on the left hand side of the screen with the link to the help screen you referenced above.

Thanks to all.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #43
Nip

From what I been able to find out - YT nowadays does one "size" of audio stream disregarding video resolution you choose in player.

It makes sense in that audio is such a low bitrate anyway, compared to video part.

Which also shows in table that Karbomusic link supplied.

When visuals aren't important I go down to 144p, and audio is the same quality from what I hear.

But some that upload demos and reviews get really poor quality audio - lack of low end and harsch mids. So I intend to experiment a bit when I upload.

Are there any software tools that capture streamed audio as is and you can compare size with uploaded AAC 384 kbps or something?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Are there any software tools that capture streamed audio as is and you can compare size with uploaded AAC 384 kbps or something?

Thanks.
If your own video I think you can download it from within creator studio, then open that in an app that will expose all the video properties like VLC or something. Then again, you might be able to stream it from YT directly in VLC and see the actual stream stats. Be right back...

Looks like YT only hands VLC 640x

Right-clicking the video in YT and choosing stats for nerds probably has better info.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-15-2019 at 09:11 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #45
clepsydrae

Just for fun, I just did a test with one of my videos... the 1080p had a 128 kbps AAC stereo stream. 360p was the same, but 96 kbps. That would be a reasonable downgrade, IMO. But I saw these rates by downloading the videos with a firefox addon, and the results may be moot anyway: several places on the web agree with Nip and say that youtube streams the audio and video "seperately" (don't know what this actually means; on-the-fly mux'ing on the server side?) and they can scale the audio stream rate up or down depending on mysterious factors like connection speed, etc, but generally use the same audio rate, all else being equal, for most if not all video resolutions. So that's cool.
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote