Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #201
RJHollins
Human being with feelings

just following this thread ...

My first question ... will WhiteTie's 'Imperial' theme [Masterpiece] work with Reaper-6 ?

thank-you
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #202
SubbaseDnB

In the colour option in the script theres 2 options to dim colours.

wouldnt it make sense if there also was a option to brighten colours?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #203
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Transport - time selection section on the left and tempo on the right could go more to the middle, maybe even be center-aligned with the transport buttons so I don't have to turn my head when searching for them. (25inch screen, 2560px width, sitting at an arm distance)

In general, I find the transport too fragmented. Either, it should be possible to decide how close the elements are to each other or the default setting should take bigger resolutions into account. It just doesn't make sense to look for each element on the transport an a huge screen (1440 x 3440 here).
Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #204
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

For reasons of consistency I have been spelling colour wrong both in this thread and within the script. And I have winced every time.

I'd like to point out that many colours would look much different depending on monitor calibration...depending on the color it might look a little brownish...keeping things consistent is a very good thing.

.ps Sorry in advance!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #205
bFooz

Transport:

For me, the single most important button is a loop button.

loop - very often looked at, never clicked

position readout - almost never clicked, often looked at

play button - never clicked, never looked at. I know that I'm playing either by the ear or by moving numbers in play position readout or by text [Playing] next to it.

record button - sometimes clicked, sometimes looked at. Good for right-click record mode selection and info which mode I'm in. Info if I am recording taken from the red-colored ruler in the arrange (SWS thing?)

go to next/previous marker - never clicked, never looked at

stop button - never clicked, never looked at

pause button - never clicked, sometimes looked at. Good for info if I am paused or not.

time selection readout - never clicked, sometimes looked at

BPM number - often clicked, often looked at
BPM tap tempo - often clicked, often looked at
time signature - often clicked, often looked at

global automation - never clicked, never looked at

rate - almost never clicked or looked at
Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #206
bFooz

What if these lines on top of activated functions in mixer were repeated at top of activated toolbar buttons?

Edit:
They could maybe also be repeated at top of the route button indicating, that the track has any signal going out, thus when master enabled OR send. But that may be too much lines there.

And they could be also over mute and solo buttons.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #207
fladd

Asking again: Can someone explain the Hdpi function of this theme, because it is not working here. I am using the latest dev version of Reaper, but by default the theme is blurry and not sharp like other applications on the macbook here. Decreasing the size in the theme script just makes things even more huge. There does not seem to be any Hdpi functionality as far as I can see.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #208
hopi

WT just wondering if separators as a layout choice for both TCP and MCP will eventually find their way into this theme?

They have become important to me and I assume others.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #209
chema001

Quote:
Transport - time selection section on the left and tempo on the right could go more to the middle, maybe even be center-aligned with the transport buttons so I don't have to turn my head when searching for them. (25inch screen, 2560px width, sitting at an arm distance)

What about using the transport bar blanks with a note/chord display like Logic Audio 5.5 (pc version) did when a midi ir a virtual instrument track is selected?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #210
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema001 View Post
What about using the transport bar blanks with a note/chord display like Logic Audio 5.5 (pc version) did when a midi ir a virtual instrument track is selected?
The toolbar itself can't do that, so the theme won't help.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #211
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
In the colour option in the script theres 2 options to dim colours.

wouldnt it make sense if there also was a option to brighten colours?
On the surface? Yes.

But the big difference between this theme and the previous ones is that all of your previous colors will now get much brighter. So the option is so that you can open your old projects, then dim them to your preferred colors. So they look the same as before or similar.

Or you can start over with the included palettes.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #212
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Please get the latest theme and script files from the first post for:

Version 1.02

- 'Wrong Theme' display fixed
- Scale now reads correctly when stored, also fixes some layout assignment bugs
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #213
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Asking again: Can someone explain the Hdpi function of this theme, because it is not working here. I am using the latest dev version of Reaper, but by default the theme is blurry and not sharp like other applications on the macbook here. Decreasing the size in the theme script just makes things even more huge. There does not seem to be any Hdpi functionality as far as I can see.
By default HiDPI works here on iMac 5K | Mojave, using 5974+dev0425a, no additional settings…
Theme 6.0_a101 on rel. 5.97.400 (left) compared to the dev version (right): https://snag.gy/z7TuFI.jpg
Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #214
PhelixK

Quote:

Version 1.02

– really happy to have a sneak peek on what’s cooking for v6!

I totally agree on the proposed panel additions, and the theme adjuster feels promising for easy customization and appearance. Trying out 6.0 a1.0.1 I had much fun tweaking different sections of the arrangement, each applied with a unique layout from the script. It’s great being able to make visual adjustments for selected tracks on the fly

The idea of using rules to show and hide various elements is awesome, and I do hope there will be options to define a more restrictive coloring approach e.g. all track titles in white, border size by pixels, partly or full colored panels and so forth.

I’m sure everything will be further evaluated, polished and streamlined, and hopefully it will be part of future Reaper releases!

Btw. is there a trick to port the script settings from v1.0.1. to 1.0.2 ?

Last edited by PhelixK; 04-29-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #215
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I have absolutely no idea how much experience you have with coding
None whatsoever. This is my hello world, and its alpha. And I'm putting it unfinished in public on this forum, while planning for it to be hopefully included in a program made by Justin Frankel.

I mean, imagine the size of my balls.

So yeah. Settle down. If you want to help, great, please do. But be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
One thing I would like you to have a look is: size. Inn general, some things seem huge to me, my own personal priority is having as many things as possible in the screen
It is indeed a little bigger; 3px per track on the TCP. I'm afraid that was a deliberate plan; there's such a huge range of sizes to cover and I have to make difficult decisions on where I place my end-stops. And we have to acknowledge that the 'fit as much in as possible' need is already being met by a huge number of themes.

Its a bummer of a compromise; sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
It just doesn't make sense to look for each element on the transport an a huge screen (1440 x 3440 here).
Have you tried docking the transport elsewhere so its not filling the width of your screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
WT just wondering if separators as a layout choice for both TCP and MCP will eventually find their way into this theme?
No, the decision that separators are not appropriate for the default theme was made many years ago, on the basis that while they are extremely useful for experienced users, they are a cockup-trap for new users.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #216
SmajjL

It would take Minimal effort/time for me to personal-taste-this into a thank-you-very-much sir!
I like it!
Pssst, a rabbit have poo'ed on the reaplugs mix knob.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #217
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Pssst, a rabbit have poo'ed on the reaplugs mix knob.
Hmm, should be fine. Screenshot please?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #218
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Btw. is there a trick to port the script settings from v1.0.1. to 1.0.2 ?
Should just carry across fine with no intervention from you.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #219
franzwam

Quote:

Version 1.02

Bug explained in post 149 with MCP (see gif attached here : https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=149) still exists.

So does the bug explained in post 159 with auto track name length (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=159)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #220
Lokasenna

Quote:
None whatsoever. This is my hello world, and its alpha. And I'm putting it unfinished in public on this forum, while planning for it to be hopefully included in a program made by Justin Frankel.

I mean, imagine the size of my balls.

So yeah. Settle down. If you want to help, great, please do. But be cool.
For a Hello World it's pretty damn good.

Maybe what I wrote previously came across wrong... I was trying to be nice and not presume too much either way, since what I see as messy could easily be someone else's long-held preference. Definitely happy to help, though this thread is probably not a good place to have that discussion in any organized fashion.

Quote:
No, the decision that separators are not appropriate for the default theme was made many years ago, on the basis that while they are extremely useful for experienced users, they are a cockup-trap for new users.
Tracks can also have borders added on either side in the MCP now, which probably ends up covering most use cases for wanting a separator there. Can it be limited to top-level tracks/folders in the current script? If not, that would be a lovely option.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #221
SmajjL

reaper5975pre1_x64
Windows 10 64Bit
And your latest alpha

Old 04-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #222
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

So. Er. Um.

Anyone else?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #223
SmajjL

Found the reason! since it looks ok now.
It was simply because I was running Windows 10 at 125% scale, trying 100% worked and easy to try if it is the same at your place.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #224
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzwam View Post
Bug explained in post 149 with MCP (see gif attached here : https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=149) still exists.

So does the bug explained in post 159 with auto track name length (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=159)
I can't replicate the first, it looks almost as if Reaper is reading a second click - one to select the track, the second clicking on the empty insert. Is there anything non-standard about your mouse?

The second isn't fixed, but I'm after it. Try going up then down on the scale buttons, clears it up here, so my error shouldn't be far from that. Stay tuned!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #225
SmajjL

And a custom scalefactor up to 117% works fine, not 118%.. aight.
I can live with this.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #226
PhelixK

Quote:
Should just carry across fine with no intervention from you.
hmm, here on Mac when switching to v1.02, the script looses all user-settings that was saved with the project. Tried also to reload the script. Going back to theme v1.0.1 it's correctly restored. Maybe someone else encounter same, let's see.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #227
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Oh no, dammit of course it doesn't remember because I've been renaming the theme file with the version. So Reaper thinks its a completely different theme.

Sorry; I'll stop doing that.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #228
hopi

Quote:
OMG... really? Now there is some thinking I truly do not grasp... I mean in light of all the complexity of reaper that does often confuse new users.

I know my voice is tiny but maybe... a 'years ago' decision might come up for a timely review?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #229
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
OMG... really? Now there is some thinking I truly do not grasp... I mean in light of all the complexity of reaper that does often confuse new users.

I know my voice is tiny but maybe... a 'years ago' decision might come up for a timely review?
Without natively-implemented separators, any separator layout is still a fully functional track that users can accidentally arm, mute, automate, add effects to, route to, etc, and potentially have no idea that they've done so because there are no controls visible.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #230
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Without natively-implemented separators, any separator layout is still a fully functional track that users can accidentally arm, mute, automate, add effects to, route to, etc, and potentially have no idea that they've done so because there are no controls visible.
Separators can show the Arm, Mute and Solo buttons when they are armed, unmuted or soloed and hidden or invisible otherwise.
The same could be done for FX and ENV buttons if desired.

While the new border function eliminates some needs filled by separators, it doesn't solve it completely.
I haven't had a chance to look too deeply at what is capable from the scripts for the borders, so my first questions are these:

1) Can we set the borders to different sizes or is it a pre-determined size and that's all we get.

2) can the MCP_BG.png now have a collapsible section and the border function can be used to make it viewable?
I'm guessing it does not, but if it did or does we can make one side look a separator instead of a border.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #231
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Separators can show the Arm, Mute and Solo buttons when they are armed, unmuted or soloed and hidden or invisible otherwise.
The same could be done for FX and ENV buttons if desired.
So what they can't?
Old 04-30-2019, 12:24 AM   #232
DaveKeehl

Will the splash image also be updated to retina or is it gonna stay blurry?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 AM   #233
Reno.thestraws

Maybe I didn't find but do the script allow to re-order elements on tcp?

I think it's the most important part because I would prefer to get the pan knob just next to the volume knob.

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 04-30-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 AM   #234
Reno.thestraws

Default Bug in script

MCP -> narrow -> if trakc not selected seemed to be broken

check this licecap -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oT...210Mc3bJNqt2OO
Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 AM   #235
Vagalume

Quote:

It is indeed a little bigger; 3px per track on the TCP. I'm afraid that was a deliberate plan; there's such a huge range of sizes to cover and I have to make difficult decisions on where I place my end-stops. And we have to acknowledge that the 'fit as much in as possible' need is already being met by a huge number of themes.

Its a bummer of a compromise; sorry.
No problem, ... I had to try Ty for answering.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 AM   #236
bFooz

Quote:
Have you tried docking the transport elsewhere so its not filling the width of your screen?
When the transport is docked, it uses that space which could be used by toolbars. There is a dedicated transport position "Top of main window" and in this way, there can be three layers above arrange (pic) - transport, top toolbar, docked toolbar.

But when the toolbar is in this position, it stretches the whole width of the screen making some of good space wasted with the current layout.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 AM   #237
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
By default HiDPI works here on iMac 5K | Mojave, using 5974+dev0425a, no additional settings…
Theme 6.0_a101 on rel. 5.97.400 (left) compared to the dev version (right): https://snag.gy/z7TuFI.jpg
Thanks for the screenshot. On my Macbook Pro 15 it always looks like on the left. Even with the dev version of Reaper.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #238
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
...do the script allow to re-order elements on tcp?
This was answered before, and the answer is no.

But I think it would be possible, but it would probably need a lot more coding. It could be done by manipulating the rtconfig itself straight from lua.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #239
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default pan

Old 04-30-2019, 03:15 AM   #240
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

As in the V5 theme, the pan and width readouts stick to the right hand side of the TCP panel. We played with doing it the other way last time around, once you factor in the occasions where it interferes with the volume readout its not good.

Quote:
It could be done by manipulating the rtconfig itself straight from lua.
Only if the theme is unpacked, and it also would require a theme refresh. Which is too hacky for a default theme, but something I'm sure will be explored by mods and 3rd party themes.