Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
cfillion
Human being with feelings

Default v5.975+dev0501 - May 1 2019

v5.975+dev0501 - May 1 2019

+ MIDI editor: display CC events as square envelopes rather than bars
+ Media explorer: improve performance with large databases [t=220351]
+ Mousewheel: add undo points when changing track volume/pan/width via mousewheel [t=190260]
+ Project bay: always display position/length in time for time-based media, beats for beat-based media
+ Stretch markers: permit adding markers on audioless video items [t=220352]
+ Track panels: fix potential crash when renaming tracks and SWS auto-layout is used [t=220400]
+ Transport: improve jump to marker/region menu [t=220350]
# MIDI editor: allow selecting individual velocity bars for notes that start at the same time
# MIDI editor: fix drag-editing velocity
# Resampler: optimized build low-pass sinc filter (thanks Theo Niessink)
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
matt_t

+ Mousewheel: add undo points when changing track volume/pan/width via mousewheel [t=190260]

Thank you, you've made my day
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
nofish

- When dense and zoomed out distinguishing what's selected could maybe be a bit clearer imo. Maybe slighlty different colour? Here a part of it is selected:

- I wonder why we can't drag edit velocity without selecting first anymore as we could before

Last edited by nofish; 05-01-2019 at 08:06 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Nostrap

This has greatly improved the speed of my large media explorer database!
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
- I wonder why we can't drag edit velocity without selecting first anymore as we could before
Same...

Also, I still cannot edit velocities nicely. It's not smooth at all, and there's no way to actually drag it up/down by the extended line. It's impossible to drag up/down on the velocity bar and edit it. Why? It is expected for this to work with up/down mouse drag (like in any other DAW, actually), but the values are actually updated on left/right motions... this makes no sense.

We should be able to grab the velocity bar by it or that extended line, and drag it up/down to change its value. This works for CCs (except it's again impossible to grab them by the node and drag up/down to change their value in an expected manner)!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-01-2019 at 10:42 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
Yanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion
+ Project bay: always display position/length in time for time-based media, beats for beat-based media
Is it possible to make the project bay automatically retain deleted items from project, even when the project bay is closed? It seems there have already been requests for this or a similar topic.
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
Shootkin

How to return to this nice and simple behaviour of v5.973+dev0312a?

Velocity lollipops are pretty OK though.
Shootkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We should be able to grab the velocity bar by it or that extended line, and drag it up/down to change its value. This works for CCs (except it's again impossible to grab them by the node and drag up/down to change their value in an expected manner)!
You need to enable "Mouse Modifiers > MIDI CC lane > Allow selecting a single event in a CC lane with a mouse click" (which is enabled by default). We'll probably need to deprecate this preference.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You need to enable "Mouse Modifiers > MIDI CC lane > Allow selecting a single event in a CC lane with a mouse click" (which is enabled by default). We'll probably need to deprecate this preference.
Ah this explains some things for me. (It wasn't enabled here.)
Now this also works for me, thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
- When dense and zoomed out distinguishing what's selected could maybe be a bit clearer imo. Maybe slighlty different colour? Here a part of it is selected:

Excuse me if I repeat myself here, but as I said in the previous dev thread, it is my opinion that maybe something else should be highlighted apart from the selected events´nodes. It could be the space beneath the events, similar to what happened with CC bars, or maybe some kind of lines which can really present the selection range/s in a clear way. I think we´ll agree with the fact that CC bars were perfectly clear in that regard.

EDIT : I see that velocity bars, when selected, are highlighted in a dark fashion even with the default theme. I use a dark Default Commala theme and the effect if that of dimming rather than highlighting. I´ve tried to change it with the color customization window but there´s no way. Is it related exclusively to my setup or does anyone else notice this?

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 05-02-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Some good ideas, thanks.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:04 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Quote:
It is enabled over here, it's still behaving as I showed in the GIF.

The main problem here is that Reaper refreshes the value of velocity sticks on horizontal movement, rather than vertical (which should be expected behavior).

Quote:
Some good ideas, thanks.
That looks much betterer!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

What mouse modifier do you have set as default for MIDI CC event?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #14
EvilDragon

"Edit selected CC events if any, otherwise draw/edit". It's default for both CC event and CC lane left click/drag contexts.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #15
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Some good ideas, thanks.

Excellent, Schwa!! That´s much clearer to the eye! Thanks for listening!

Regarding the velocity dimming issue I commented above, now I see that as I override Gofer´s colormap, the one I use on most of my projects, velocities are highlighted in the same way as notes. So, I´ll have to change the colormap...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #16
mccrabney

ED - i can't reproduce that, i'm getting expected vertical behavior here. also, weirdly, your flagellate's head isn't filled in like mine is when it's selected:

------

while we're in the cc/velocity lanes, please, please give a mouse modifier option to move the edit cursor -- for example, while left clicking empty space in the cc/velocity lane.

while editing midi, i move the cursor via mouse in order to trigger play from different positions. it's counterintuitive that this doesn't work in the cc/velocity lanes. in this gif, i demonstrate the forced user error of clicking around to "play from"/preview different parts of the midi item from the note section, then try to do the same from the velocity section without success:

i would think that the expected default behavior would be to move the edit cursor upon clicking empty, gridded arrange space in EITHER section, rather than the current inconsistent behavior.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Here's my mouse modifier map, complete.

EDIT: If I revert "MIDI CC event" context to default, it all works (default modifier is "Move CC event on one axis only", which I don't find always useful because you cannot sweep events in one go, it slows down editing CCs considerably). So it seems there's a clash when using that same mouse modifier that I'm using in CC lane AND CC event contexts.

Maybe "Edit selected CC events if any, otherwise draw/edit" should be tweaked so that it triggers UI refresh on both vertical and horizontal movement? In fact this should apply to all mouse modifiers that edit CCs/velocities not limited to one axis.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ED mouse.ZIP (787 Bytes, 82 views)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-02-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #18
mccrabney

when "View: Toggle show velocity numbers on notes" is enabled, i've noticed that the velocity number disappears when notes reduced in height via vertical zoom. this is a nice touch, because a number appearing over a shrunken note would "look wrong" and probably give some ui geek a coronary

however, when this setting is enabled, it would be nice to have an optional number readout that appears above the selected flagellates (only) while they're being edited (or perhaps when they are selected). this way a user wouldn't have to change vertical zoom in the midi editor in order to see the actual number being edited, which is useful for those of us using velocity sensitive plugins/samplers/etc. it'd preserve the function of "show note velocity numbers on notes" without sacrificing ui points

Last edited by mccrabney; 05-02-2019 at 05:33 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
also, weirdly, your flagellate's head isn't filled in like mine is when it's selected:
That's because when no events are selected, the mouse modifier I use can edit all events in the lane. So those velocities are being edited without being selected first. It's faster to work this way in some cases
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #20
ovnis

Quote:
+ Media explorer: improve performance with large databases [t=220351]
Thx you. The contextual menu appears instantly now, but with the same filtered data, the navigation with the keyboard arrow (down and up) remains very slow (sometimes > 7 sec) while the mouse navigation is super fast ( < 0,1 sec).

For the same filtered data :

With the keyboard (big time lag > 7 sec):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsc...ature=youtu.be

With the mouse (all is OK):
https://youtu.be/nID8RatLatc

Last edited by ovnis; 05-02-2019 at 07:47 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #21
ovnis

It's strange. An arrow happears but we can't edit. For me, when the arrow happears it should be better to have the possibility to edit the velocity.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
EvilDragon

ovnis, see my posts above. Looks like you have mouse modifiers set up pretty much like I have, hence experiencing the same issue.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #23
lachrimae

Drawing right to left in CC Lane (ignoring snap) doesn't draw all the way to the left edge unless zoomed in:

Drawing left to right works correctly.

============
Related?
Drawing right to left in CC Lane (with snap) does not draw final cc until left edge of item is crossed back to the right:

============
When drawing with snap, can the mouse be made to adjust the value between grid positions rather than only at the grid line? (Some may not like this behavior so... mouse modifier option?)
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #24
svijayrathinam

Where is the installer link for this pls ? When I checked Landoleet..I only see the RC1 installer that got released today...
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #25
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
When drawing with snap, can the mouse be made to adjust the value between grid positions rather than only at the grid line? (Some may not like this behavior so... mouse modifier option?)

Oh yes! I would absolutely love this. This is what I meant by adjusting the values on both horizontal AND vertical mouse movement, for all mouse modifiers except "move CC on one axis only"!

By the way, by doing that, MIDI CC editing will instantly be percieved as much smoother and responsive. This is what's sometimes missing in Reaper's MIDI editor when comparing it to, say, MIDI editor in FL Studio, which works exactly like that - buttery smooth, always.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #26
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Where is the installer link for this pls ? When I checked Landoleet..I only see the RC1 installer that got released today...
old folder
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #27
ovnis

Midi CC should behave like automation envelope.

Bug ?
With "Mouse Modifiers > MIDI CC lane > Allow selecting a single event in a CC lane with a mouse click" enabled, randomly, I can't change the velocity inside an inactive MIDI item. Sometimes, it will change the velocity of a no expected note.

Last edited by ovnis; 05-02-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #28
ovnis

Bug ?

I can't "insert CC event" inside an inactive MIDI item.

Last edited by ovnis; 05-02-2019 at 11:42 AM.