Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Trione
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin/VST/Reaper window depth

Heya,

Trying to figure out how to the control which plugins and windows appear in front of others. So far most have behaved reasonably, but I have one vst, Helm, that goes in front of everything, even Reaper's settings windows.

Is there any way to control this sort of behavior?

Thx~
Trione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
... but I have one vst, Helm, that goes in front of everything, even Reaper's settings windows.
Sounds like this window might be currently pinned (so it's always on top of other windows). This can be toggled with the little pin icon at the top right in the window title bar.

More info in the User Guide - chapter 2.23 Keeping a window on top
Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Trione

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Sounds like this window might be currently pinned (so it's always on top of other windows). This can be toggled with the little pin icon at the top right in the window title bar.

More info in the User Guide - chapter 2.23 Keeping a window on top
Thanks for the reply.

I already looked through the manual, including this section, and figured it was out dated, as none of my windows in reaper 5.974 have that pin icon and the manual doesn't mention anything else about it that I'm seeing.

How do I make that appear, or access that setting in the current version of reaper?

Last edited by Trione; 05-03-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Trione

bump

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
solger

Very strange. I just had another look at this and it seems that the the pins aren't showing up here anymore on Windows either (I guess something might probably have been broken by a Windows update since it was working before. Also the pins show up fine in the macOS version).

But try if the following helps:

1) Options > Show Reaper resource path ...
2) Move the reaper-pinstates.ini file outside of this folder or delete it - if you have file extensions hidden it will only show 'reaper-pinstates' as file name
3) Restart Reaper afterwards
Old 05-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Trione

Quote:
Very strange. I just had another look at this and it seems that the the pins aren't showing up here anymore on Windows either (I guess something might probably have been broken by a Windows update since it was working before. Also the pins show up fine in the macOS version).

But try if the following helps:

1) Options > Show Reaper resource path ...
2) Move the reaper-pinstates.ini file outside of this folder or delete it - if you have file extensions hidden it will only show 'reaper-pinstates' as file name
3) Restart Reaper afterwards
Just tried moving that file elsewhere, didn't seem to do anything. Tried opening and closing reaper a couple times and saving, still no pins. Also, the program never made a new pinstate file in the resource folder.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trione View Post
Just tried moving that file elsewhere, didn't seem to do anything. Tried opening and closing reaper a couple times and saving, still no pins. Also, the program never made a new pinstate file in the resource folder.
Have you also re-checked if the Helm VST window is still in front of everything else?.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous post that this won't necessarily bring back the pin icons itself (that's a different issue for which I haven't found a solution yet, either), but this should at least reset all window pin states back to being unpinned.

Besides moving/deleting the reaper-pinstates.ini file itself, it's also possible to open the reaper-pinstates.ini file with a text editor and edit all line entries to zero (=0) in order to set them to 'unpinned' this way.
As example:

Pinned state (=1):
Code:
b65f0a6e86976e9a=1
Unpinned state (=0):
Code:
b65f0a6e86976e9a=0

Last edited by solger; 05-03-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added example
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #8
johnteddy

all pins showing on my version though i just installed latest version of reaper.
johnteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Trione

Quote:
Have you also re-checked if the Helm VST window is still in front of everything else?.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous post that this won't necessarily bring back the pin icons itself (that's a different issue for which I haven't found a solution yet, either), but this should at least reset all window pin states back to being unpinned.

Besides moving/deleting the reaper-pinstates.ini file itself, it's also possible to open the reaper-pinstates.ini file with a text editor and edit all line entries to zero (=0) in order to set them to 'unpinned' this way.
As example:

Pinned state (=1):
Code:
b65f0a6e86976e9a=1
Unpinned state (=0):
Code:
b65f0a6e86976e9a=0
Oh, I see. K, well this did unpin Helm, and I can control that plugin's pin state view the file, so thanks. Though pins are still missing, and since only that plugin has a line in the pinstate file, I'm unsure how to adjust other plugins' or windows' pin states.

And updated to reaper 5.978 and the pins are still missing in windows.