Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
-Wolverine-
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Focusrite 2i2

I believe I may be a noob at this. I am using Reaper with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I have two questions:
1. I can record audio through the left 1/4" input. I cannot record on the right. Nor will neither one of my microphones work (both a dynamic and condenser) mic work on either one (even with the Phantom power turned on for the condenser).

2. I see that the 2i2 has the monitor dial so that you can mix between the DAW monitoring and the 2i2 monitoring. Is the data sent two ways (to and from the 2i2) via the USB cable? How do I get a wet signal sent back to the 2i2 so that I can hear the FX chain?

I have my head phones plugged into the sound card, however I would like less latency via the 2i2 and the wet signal from Reaper.

Thank you...
-Wolverine- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Sinner

"I can record audio through the left 1/4" input. I cannot record on the right. Nor will neither one of my microphones work (both a dynamic and condenser) mic work on either one (even with the Phantom power turned on for the condenser)."

I have a 2i2. It can certainly record from both inputs and simultaneously.

so i dont know what the problem is here.

1. Did you check in preferences, device, that both channels are active? probably 'ASIO Focusrite' 1 and 2

2. If yes to the above, Did you double check that you were assigning the 'input' to input 2 on the recording armed track.

Really at a loss at why you'd have different results from the 1/4 and the mics.

"I see that the 2i2 has the monitor dial so that you can mix between the DAW monitoring and the 2i2 monitoring. Is the data sent two ways (to and from the 2i2) via the USB cable? How do I get a wet signal sent back to the 2i2 so that I can hear the FX chain"

Yes sent two ways via USB, but you have to enable the outputs. iirc.

Make sure recording monitoring is enabled.
That should be all to get a wet signal thru the focusrite.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
bluzkat

In Reaper's 'Audio' preferences (under 'Device')... in the drop down list where you select your inputs, select the first input in 'first' then select the very last item in the list for the 'last' input. Then do the same for the Outputs.

If you don't select 'all' items in the list, they won't show up in Reaper. This could be why you aren't able to see all your inputs.

Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wolverine- View Post
2. I see that the 2i2 has the monitor dial so that you can mix between the DAW monitoring and the 2i2 monitoring. Is the data sent two ways (to and from the 2i2) via the USB cable? How do I get a wet signal sent back to the 2i2 so that I can hear the FX chain?

I have my head phones plugged into the sound card, however I would like less latency via the 2i2 and the wet signal from Reaper.

Thank you...
Yes, the audio is sent both ways using USB. On my Focusrite 2i4 I automatically get the wet signal in my headphones as soon as I turn on monitoring in Reaper (don't forget to turn the mix control to playback instead of input on the interface), as well as all other tracks in Reaper.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
-Wolverine-

Alright, the left input is working for 1/4" and XLR. The Right input is still silent.

So there is only one field for the Device, how do I express that I would like 1 and 2?
https://i.imgur.com/efvddI9.png

Also, any idea why the 2i2 software says it is not connected yet Reaper still recognizes its existence?
https://i.imgur.com/FpLvaqb.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
Alright, the left input is working for 1/4" and XLR. The Right input is still silent.

So there is only one field for the Device, how do I express that I would like 1 and 2?
https://i.imgur.com/efvddI9.png

Also, any idea why the 2i2 software says it is not connected yet Reaper still recognizes its existence?
https://i.imgur.com/FpLvaqb.jpg
You need to use the Scarlet ASIO driver!

If you haven't installed it, go to the manufacturer's website and download the proper one for your system.

Then in the Preferences where it says 'Audio System' select the ASIO driver. Then fill in your inputs and outputs as stated in my earlier post.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
-Wolverine-

THANK YOU!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
bluzkat

Quote:
THANK YOU!
Did that take care of it?

Hope so...

Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
You need to use the Scarlet ASIO driver!

If you haven't installed it, go to the manufacturer's website and download the proper one for your system.

Then in the Preferences where it says 'Audio System' select the ASIO driver. Then fill in your inputs and outputs as stated in my earlier post.

To clarify: theres only one input device, but it has two channels. You choose which one on the track IO, not in preferences (you'll have that option when you've installled and selected the correct drivers).
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
-Wolverine-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Did that take care of it?

Hope so...

Yes, it was like magic.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
bluzkat