Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default v5.80pre3 - April 21 2018

+ MIDI editor: improve behavior with multiple pooled items as secondary editable items
# MIDI editor: fix latent editability bug [p=1981123]
# MIDI editor: when opening multiple selected items via action, make the item closest to the edit cursor active [p=1981299]

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
mccrabney

"selection follow" bug seems fixed.

i'm still finding myself losing full-track selection/editability while changing active items in the midi editor with "media item selection is linked to visibility" OFF.

i want to be able to change active items without losing the ability to edit the entire track's midi, and having to select-all-on-track again in order to regain the capability.

watch what happens when i select all items on the track with lasso, then change active item from within ME:

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
i'm still finding myself losing full-track selection/editability while changing active items in the midi editor with "media item selection is linked to visibility" OFF.

i want to be able to change active items without losing the ability to edit the entire track's midi, and having to select-all-on-track again in order to regain the capability.
seems like using the “selection linked to active item” but not “selection linked to editability” would be the best mode for this (along with having it open all items on the track as editable to begin with)?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
seems like using the “selection linked to active item” but not “selection linked to editability” would be the best mode for this (along with having it open all items on the track as editable to begin with)?
yes, that provides the desired full-track-editable workflow.
however, doing this prevents me from seeing transparent midi from other tracks. having both is the desired workflow, because seeing other track midi is great for comparative editing.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
mccrabney

maybe it's "Media Item Selection is linked to Visibility"

when this is ticked, changing active midi item from the editor does not effect arrange view selection.

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection. if this weren't the case, i think my issue would be resolved.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
maybe it's "Media Item Selection is linked to Visibility"

when this is ticked, changing active midi item from the editor does not effect arrange view selection.

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection.
try it with both “visibility” and “editability” unlinked and then have it open all items in project (but only making those on the same track editable) = done
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection. if this weren't the case, i think my issue would be resolved.
So you want the ability to change the active midi item by selecting in the arrange, but to not make changing the active midi item affect the arrange selection?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
So you want the ability to change the active midi item by selecting in the arrange, but to not make changing the active midi item affect the arrange selection?
(with all the linking disabled you could do it using a double click in arrange to switch active context...)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
tusitala

Hi Justin,
The behaviour I reported here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...99&postcount=8
seems to be better in this Pre3 release.

What I don't understand is why when closing and reopening the editor the zoom level goes back to a default level?
...i think it should stay at the zoom level i had just chosen otherwise I have to recreate the zoom level I need every time I open the midi editor:

thanks for your help
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
mccrabney

Quote:
(1) So you want the ability to change the active midi item by selecting in the arrange, but (2) to not make changing the active midi item affect the arrange selection?
1, i want to always be able to edit the whole track midi as if it were all active --
2, yes this! it will allow me to do the above.

Quote:
try it with both “visibility” and “editability” unlinked and then have it open all items in project (but only making those on the same track editable) = done ... (with all the linking disabled you could do it using a double click in arrange to switch active context)
doing this still results in loss of editability once i change active midi items from midi editor. watch the purple notes as they become un-editable as i double click different midi items from within the editor. (note, my theme has set active item sharp/flat colors to be the same as inactive items, don't let this confuse)

Old 04-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
# MIDI editor: fix latent editability bug [p=1981123]
This seems to also have had a positive effect on the matters I posted in pre1 that were also present in pre2.

-----------------------------------------------

Ideally from my perspective, I would stay in the one at a time/visible secondaries only mode (which I was able to find for the most part in pre1) as a main/default mode. Then I would have the ability to go into multi item mode. I personally don't want to open all items on a track, or not be able to edit items on other tracks, while in the Multi-Item mode. Of course, I'm not saying this to oppose mccrabney getting what he wants, just saying there is other styles too.

So far, seems I can toggle the "Make secondary items editable..." pref to achieve opening some items as an editable group. Then as long as I keep every one of them selected in arrange, or unselect all but the one I want to switch to, I can keep that group of items as editable. (maybe that could be a little slicker). Then I can toggle back to Visible-Only mode afterwards. (this was very problematic/impossible in pre1-2)

But I can't find a way to activate a different editable item via MIDI note double click without leaving the currently Active item behind as visible only. I CAN maintain the Visible-Only workflow with MIDI note double click and that is most important to me, but it would be nice to find an alternative for when I go into Multi-Item mode.

But, all in all, lots of improvement to be thankful for so far.

Last edited by FnA; 04-21-2018 at 01:38 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
doing this still results in loss of editability once i change active midi items from midi editor. watch the purple notes as they become un-editable as i double click different midi items from within the editor. (note, my theme has set active item sharp/flat colors to be the same as inactive items, don't let this confuse)
Hmm this is not what I'm seeing -- switching active context via doubleclicking the piano roll here preserves editability of the old context... hmmmmm.

e.g.:

Last edited by Justin; 04-21-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
FnA

I changed piano roll double click to No Action, because it seemed to be interfering. Changed MIDI note with no modifier to "Activate..." and am using that.

Also using [open all selected items].

Last edited by FnA; 04-21-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
mccrabney

Quote:
hmmmmm.
hm indeed, unless i'm missing something obvious.
tried on portable install and i definitely lose editability.
win10x64

Last edited by mccrabney; 04-21-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
FnA

With the prefs Justin shows, it will make ALL visible/editable items on a different track Editable, even if some were just Visible before. (I don't want that, but I prefer [open all selected items] and will probably avoid "Avoid...")

But it sets current item Visible when switching to different item on same track.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
hm indeed, unless i'm missing something obvious.
tried on portable install and i definitely lose editability
Can you reduce it to a minimal project, then send the .rpp+.ini?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
FnA

Quote:
...switching active context via doubleclicking the piano roll here preserves editability of the old context...
It worries me that it would sink my happy little ship if it did. Because making item Active also makes it Editable.

Does it have to?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
D Rocks

Mccrabney: If I understand it, you want to treat seperate MIDI items (blocs) as one that would be glued? Then why not use glue?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
mccrabney

^ that's not really it, but thanks!

anyway, it looks like my issue was that my track's parent track was hidden, resulting in the behavior i've been giffing all over the place. well spotted, Justin.

if it's worth explaining, how did you find something like that based on REAPER.ini? when i've had problematic behavior before i've been able to find the responsible .ini lines by deleting half of REAPER.ini at a time and trying to reproduce, and then repeating, continuing to delete half of REAPER.ini until i corner the problem.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
^ that's not really it, but thanks!

anyway, it looks like my issue was that my track's parent track was hidden, resulting in the behavior i've been giffing all over the place. well spotted, Justin.

if it's worth explaining, how did you find something like that based on REAPER.ini? when i've had problematic behavior before i've been able to find the responsible .ini lines by deleting half of REAPER.ini at a time and trying to reproduce, and then repeating, continuing to delete half of REAPER.ini until i corner the problem.
Didn't need the .ini, that was in the project, but it would've been the next step had I not reproduced...

For me, it would be about seeing the behavior, then tracing through the code to see where it occurs, which is hard to do when it doesn't happen due to .ini file settings etc...
Old 04-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #21
Trancit

With all these changes to the midi editor, is there any chance to get the initial zoom level of new midi items fixed???

Requested since 2011 ( https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3353 + https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91048 )and still behaves Reaper quite strange...

Every new inserted midi item gets a different zoom level depending on its clip size...

1 bar clip: zoomed to 1/16th notes
2 bar clip: zoomed to 1/8th notes
4 bar clip: zoomed to 1/4th notes

And that with a maximised editor window, where the editable space taken for the opened clip is just 1/3 of the available screen space...

I find this a bit more important than the changes implemented in the last 2 builds...

Please give us the option to set an initial zoom level, that makes sense for us, like every other DAW out there has since it´s first days and without having to fight against Reaper´s will...
No AI necessary, just a simple setting....
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote