Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #441
godly
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Well, it seems that Win 10 does phone home even when told not to.
Well ofcourse. What do you expect.
I installed a network traffic monitor yesterday and you should see the spikes in the traffic, when you change system settings ;-)
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #442
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Wonder how the Germans will decide to enforce their law?
Me too

But it will take some time until politics react, if they do at all ... the first press reports about all this in German language are only a few days old and most politicians understand nothing about IT.

And I expect this topic being discussed in EU parliament too, at least I hope so ... I guess it's not only German law, that's affected here ... maybe even US law? But I fear the US is a special case because of the Patriot Act.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #443
paulheu

Quote:
And of course it really all comes down to exactly WHAT data MS is gathering & how they are using it. For me that is of far more relevance than "can we shut it off or not"
This..

It's a requirement for certain parts of Windows to be able to function that data needs to be collected, it's also in some cases a requirement for a US based company to collect certain data to be able to do business in the US. And that's not a specific Windows thing either.

What annoys me is the wild accusations and generic claims with no real substance, also the 'yank a sentence out of context as that makes it look bad' attitude.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #444
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Where in the EULA does it state that Microsoft _sells_ the collected data to _any_ 3rd party? In some cases they are required (by law) to collect and hand over data .. For this provisions need to be made in EULA.

If you can't agree to the EULA, feel free to choose another OS which you can use. No one forces you to use WIN10..

The whole privacy 'issue' is now a prime click bait topic for a lot of sites who will.... use your activity on their site to profile you and target specific adds towards you..
You must be even more naive than I reckoned. The euphemism "share with partners" doesn't maybe literally mean sell, but it is certainly within realistic expectations.

Which you found a "fair point" before.

And when it comes to security sites, you have no idea what you're talking about. Most of this inof isn't even on the web. And none of the researchers would risk their reputation for something as vain as increasing the number of viewers.

On the contrary, the entire sec community has had about enough of people like you, whoe easily criticize and call names, but who are either to dumb or to lazy to study the info.

But then again, you're a real expert when it comes to Microsoft.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:17 AM   #445
cyrano

Quote:
And of course it really all comes down to exactly WHAT data MS is gathering & how they are using it. For me that is of far more relevance than "can we shut it off or not"
Until someone breaks the encryption, we won't know. It's a bit strange that these data are completely encrypted. I suppose MS learned something from the past.

Quote:
I would be amazed if companies like Apple MS et were NOT doing this as matter of course - certainly if you us any of the major search engines you can pretty well guarantee your activities online are being logged and harvested.
Google is a bit more upfront about it. Apple is even more secretive. It's a little known fact, but OSX sends even unsaved documents to the cloud. If you believe Apple, it's for backup and synchronization with your iOS devices. But even if you disable the cloud, there's still a lot of background traffic going on. Even Linux (Ubuntu fi) has had it's cloud debacle lately.

Quote:
So the most relevant question now that this particular horse has bolted is "what are we going to do about it" bearing in mind that your average 14 year old hacker can easily circumvent any attempt to police this stuff, let alone professionals with all the resources the major OS companies can throw at it in order to hide their dirty little secrets.

Wonder how the Germans will decide to enforce their law?
Not only the Germans. The EU has fairly strong privacy rules. I'm hoping this is high profile enough to start something.

And how will the Chinese government react? Their own Linux, Red Flag, is no more, because of fraud in the govt run development organization. Clearly, OSX is no alternative. And with all accusations of spying going on, this might get mildly interesting.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #446
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The EU has fairly strong privacy rules. I'm hoping this is high profile enough to start something.
Yes, but I fear currently the Greek's financial disaster is the top topic in Europe

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #447
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You seem to have a memory problem. About a week ago, you were still claiming Microsoft wasn't selling the collected data, while it's in the EULA.

This has been reported by Forbes, about a year ago. Various other sources have confirmed, amongst which, Ars Technica.

There may be errors in the listing, but nobody claimed it was a perfect report. But I guess you didn't even bother reading that.

Sigh. Sheepish believers alaways amaze me.
Yes keep it realistic please. Call them illuminati or whatever you want, still, th business intrests are there.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #448
SmajjL

http://winaero.com/download.php?list.2

Personalization Panel for Windows 10
Winaero Tweaker

Thank gawd halleluljah!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #449
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Yes keep it realistic please. Call them illuminati or whatever you want, still, th business intrests are there.
Of course the business interest is there, I have never said that it isn't. I'm just not buying into the 'MSFT is selling your personal data to the highest bidder'nonsense.

Some of the data they collect is simply needed to make certain services work and frankly, the stuff they get for Cortana is not any different to what any PA does for their employer.

I'm also perfectly clear on, and OK with, MSFT collecting my behavioral data and using it to create a profile which they then offer to customers of their add services in the form of 'Person X would be interested in your add for product Y, if you want we'll present it for a feee'

While there is a lot of course/rough finger pointing based on parts of the EULA often taken out of context, there is yet to be anyone actually showing that any of these wild claims and accusations are anywhere near accurate. These 'security sites'and companies are just parroting each other using the same catchphrases trying to get attention and clicks on their own pages for commercial purposes. These are no different than your average financial analyst in that they guess the meaning and outcome of something in the hopes to be right often enough.

They are basically really bad poker players splashing around hoping to get lucky.

And then there are those who will blindly accept what they get fed and because they really have nothing to actually backup these claims then resort to the usual name calling and personal attacks.

If there is one example of a company which has shown to not take privacy lightly, while complying with (inter)national laws and regulations by not easily or readily handing over any data it would be Microsoft.

Now obviously my opinion on this for those to whom this applies will make me a shill, a plant, a mole, a MSFT employee trying to white-wash this scandalous behavior. In reality I'm just someone who uses Windows, thinks that Windows 10 is a great step forward and believes Microsoft to be well above either Apple or Google in being trustworthy with my personal data which all of them hunt for and collect wherever possible.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #450
sveinpetter

Default Speedy test

http://www.moltenmusictechnology.com/ upgrades to 10
https://youtu.be/gKmM-kbkx9E
sveinpetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #451
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinpetter View Post
Interesting !
Hope to see quickly some tuts how to optimise 10 for music. What to disable etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:21 AM   #452
innuendo

After performing a few upgrades to Win10 and looking closely at some win10 machines coming into the lab I work in, there is only one thing to say at this point: using it on a production machine is asking for trouble.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #453
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
After performing a few upgrades to Win10 and looking closely at some win10 machines coming into the lab I work in, there is only one thing to say at this point: using it on a production machine is asking for trouble.
Can you define why?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #454
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
specifics would be good. I have seen no trouble on 4 different machines. as always: with a new OS or upgrade/update always its hi noon for paranoia. that is what is asking for trouble.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #455
paulheu

Quote:
using it on a production machine is asking for trouble.
Such as? I've done quite a few upgrades now for myself and people around me, including some heavy lifters as far as hardware demands go and have not seen anything that would cause concern or 'trouble'

There may be some issues yes, but these will mostly be because 3rd party stuff where the manufacturer choose to not do their jobs and have drivers ready at release.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #456
dea-man

Quote:
using it on a production machine is asking for trouble.
Please describe in detail.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #457
richie43

Quote:
My i7 is busy all day, every day, and the upgrade has been not only fine, but great. I also use Nebula/Acqua products (which are known to be persnickety) and even those have all been flawless. Maybe the "issues" are more system-specific and I am "lucky"....?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #458
Endisol

Quote:
Of course the business interest is there, I have never said that it isn't. I'm just not buying into the 'MSFT is selling your personal data to the highest bidder'nonsense.

Some of the data they collect is simply needed to make certain services work and frankly, the stuff they get for Cortana is not any different to what any PA does for their employer.

I'm also perfectly clear on, and OK with, MSFT collecting my behavioral data and using it to create a profile which they then offer to customers of their add services in the form of 'Person X would be interested in your add for product Y, if you want we'll present it for a feee'

While there is a lot of course/rough finger pointing based on parts of the EULA often taken out of context, there is yet to be anyone actually showing that any of these wild claims and accusations are anywhere near accurate. These 'security sites'and companies are just parroting each other using the same catchphrases trying to get attention and clicks on their own pages for commercial purposes. These are no different than your average financial analyst in that they guess the meaning and outcome of something in the hopes to be right often enough.

They are basically really bad poker players splashing around hoping to get lucky.

And then there are those who will blindly accept what they get fed and because they really have nothing to actually backup these claims then resort to the usual name calling and personal attacks.

If there is one example of a company which has shown to not take privacy lightly, while complying with (inter)national laws and regulations by not easily or readily handing over any data it would be Microsoft.

Now obviously my opinion on this for those to whom this applies will make me a shill, a plant, a mole, a MSFT employee trying to white-wash this scandalous behavior. In reality I'm just someone who uses Windows, thinks that Windows 10 is a great step forward and believes Microsoft to be well above either Apple or Google in being trustworthy with my personal data which all of them hunt for and collect wherever possible.

Until all this http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffi...-of-windows-10

gets debunked im not touching Windows 10. Is above blog looking for advertising hits too? Come on! Enough with the profiling if you are fine with being mined to death bully for you I am not.

WTF does MS want my keystrokes for?

"All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com"
"...Typing a phone number anywhere into the Edge browser transmits it to the servers above. In another example, typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net"

Dont forget this is MS who tried same shit with XBone and did a 180 on always listening Connect etc etc only after a backlash. Have no idea why you think they are more trustworthy than Apple or Google. Google has everything invested in advertising and the most to lose if a scandal were to break out hence they are the most upfront about it. Have not heard of Google or Apple logging system wide keystrokes, even on ChromeOS which is a web terminal.

They will reverse this shit if people speak up and dont take the shaft, like they always do.

Last edited by Endisol; 08-18-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #459
innuendo

Ok, for everyone wanting specifics, here are just a few of the issues I have seen.
- there is a laptop right now in the lab that we performed an upgrade to Win10 on. It has issues with graphics, to the point that after 3 days of looking for a workaround, we had to give up and downgrade it back to Win8. If you are wondering, we did try a fresh install (to the same effect).
- did you know that without "hacking" the OS, you have no way to disable Windows update on Win10? And you can not disable individual updates? All updates will be installed, this is mandatory. That is not to say that controlling Windows Update is impossible, it is just much harder than on previous Windows versions.
As Windows update goes, it might and probably will sooner or later break something in your OS. Windows Update BTW is one major troublemaker on Win7 and Win8 too, the only difference being that it's easy to disable or control.
- a few cases of indexing breaking in a freshly-installed Win10 on a few machines which needed OS repair to fix
- 2 cases of windows update breaking on a machine, going into endless loop of reinstalling an update and failing (and then you can't disable WinUpdate easily, remember? As well as disable an individual problematic update)
- another issue with graphics which got corrupted because of an update (luckily, in this case uninstalling the update solved the issue)

Additional consideration is that at least for a laptop, you will usually need at least a few drivers from the manufacturer in order for your machine to function properly with a given version of Windows. In some cases you will also need a BIOS update. In case your machine is new enough, its manufacturer might have already developed and tested drivers for it and uploaded them to their site. Some manufacturers however are not very quick, so they still haven't put out an update to all their models. And for those who have, this is their first attempt to provide drivers for Win10, which inevitably makes them more prone to bugs.

Now if your machine is older than X years, most manufacturers won't ever bother releasing updated drivers or BIOS for Win10, so you will either left stuck with missing functionality, or will have to explore workarounds, such as running Win8 (or Win7) drivers on Win10.
Which is probably not the best way to go on a production machine.

It might well be that some machines there will have no issues at all. Perhaps the desktops are less prone to failures than laptops. Overall, somewhere around 60-70% of Win10 installations I've seen had major issues. But then we mostly deal with laptops. Obviously the statistics are a bit more complicated here because in some cases, upgrade-related issues was the reason for the computer to be admitted to the lab, while upgrades with no issues do not get admitted.

At some point of time it will all settle down a bit, drivers will be released and then fixed and fixed again to actually work. That's when it will be the right time to upgrade. But then you will have the next big thing coming, be it Win11 or whatever.

To conclude, now is just the right time to upgrade. To Windows 8.1.

Last edited by innuendo; 08-18-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #460
karbomusic

Quote:
It might well be that some machines there will have no issues at all.
Right, all the ones that didn't come into your shop that you never saw and are working just fine. You're mentioning issues that would still occur even today if someone upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 or XP to Windows 7 and so on. They are valid concerns but they don't fit this...

Quote:
using it on a production machine is asking for trouble
The more accurate point is that any upgrade runs the risk of some bumps in the road but the successful ones far, far outweigh those. Be smart run the pre-upgrade tool, listen to what it says, treat it like any other upgrade and make a good decision based on your individual needs because every single machine is different in some way.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #461
innuendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Right, all the ones that didn't come into your shop that you never saw and are working just fine.
Yes, I corrected this to not sound as exact statistics.
But then keep in mind that I have personally performed about 6 fresh Win10 installations, and only in one case it was all flawless. In the other 5 cases there were major issues that needed repairs/workarounds, and in one case as I mentioned it just wouldn't work no matter what. This is very far from statistics of fresh Win7 or Win8 installations. In fact there is yet to come in a [hardware-wise working] machine that I need to fix Windows Update on after a fresh Win7/Win8 install.

Quote:
You're mentioning issues that would still occur even today if someone upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 or XP to Windows 7 and so on. They are valid concerns but they don't fit this...

The more accurate point is that any upgrade runs the risk of some bumps in the road but the successful ones far, far outweigh those. Be smart run the pre-upgrade tool, listen to what it says, treat it like any other upgrade and make a good decision based on your individual needs because every single machine is different in some way.
Upgrades are generally more prone to problems, here we agree. However with Win10, it looks like they did a reasonably good job designing the upgrade process, to the extent that a techie can effortlessly make the machine work post-upgrade without the need to perform a fresh install. So surprisingly, issues here are not so much due to the upgrade but rather due to hardware compatibility issues and due to bugs in the OS mechanisms. For instance, the indexing breaking occured exactly the same way on an upgrade and on a fresh install, and so did graphics issues and update issues mentioned.

Now hardware issues in most cases are temporary and will mostly be fixed by drivers update in some observable future. What is not going to be fixed (or at least not in observable future) is hardship to control Windows Updates. Which is at my experience a rather error-prone mechanism. Disabling automatic updates on Windows for production machines is common knowledge and a common practice.
These 2 facts make me advise to refrain from upgrading at this point of time. Until Microsoft either bring back the option to disable automatic updates or radically improve the quality of updates (which is not going to happen ever soon).

Last edited by innuendo; 08-18-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #462
dea-man

Default After reading this thread......

......I'm going back to Windows 95.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #463
paulheu

Quote:
Ok, for everyone wanting specifics, here are just a few of the issues I have seen.
So you have a laptop with a GFX card for which the manufacturer decided to not provided drivers yet, despite Microsoft having had an extensive and open beta period.. I'd say, talk to the GFX car manufacturer. Also which laptop, what year and which GFX card?

Then the updates, when you use WIN10 home then yes, you will not be allowed to disable or defer updates. You have some choice with Pro and can defer as needed on Enterprise. Frankly, makes sense to me.

How does the indexing breaking relate to the WIN10 update? How do you know this issue was not already there and just showed because of the fact you updated the OS? There's nothing here to point the finger to WIN10 as the cause.

Obviously there's so many different installs out there, some will break during update. As you should have a backup, do a fresh install of the original OS and update from there. Chances are it'll be fine.

And finally another possible bad driver, without more info it's basically a random guess as to what caused it.

To me it sounds like you are running some funky installs and configurations which accumulated some issues for you. I assume you have brought this to MSFT as well and joined the insider program to get these resolved. Posting here will certainly not get the attention of MSFT.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #464
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endisol View Post
Until all this http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffi...-of-windows-10

gets debunked im not touching Windows 10. Is above blog looking for advertising hits too? Come on! Enough with the profiling if you are
First thing here is that there is _no mention_ of which version of WIN10 they used. We _know_ (and it is quite openly announced) the Previews log a number of user input telemetry and data for (IMO) obvious reasons in a preview/beta.

Also why does the site, which looks like a basic blogpost, need to add a cookie accessible to scripting and tracked to my computer? Seems like someone there is interested in where I am from and possibly what I am doing and when.

Then the first comment on the blog post (and feel free to try again);

The source article isn't very trustworthy. The website is quite obviously an "alternative news" (read: "we post edgy bullshit to stroke our insane ideologies and to get lots of clicks") website, and an anonymous one on top of that.

A quick look through the website using Google Translate should be enough to alert more perceptive readers to this fact, considering the quality of their other articles. For more evidence, you can check their Czech Wikipedia page: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronet.cz although again you'll have to use Google translate for this.

Since they seem to like pro-Russian propaganda, I suppose their motivation for posting this particular article is that Microsoft is an US company and everything from the US is evil.

I'm not saying there are no privacy or security issues with Windows 10 telemetry, but you should take this article with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more like a pound.

Last edited by paulheu; 08-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #465
Endisol

Quote:
First thing here is that there is _no mention_ of which version of WIN10 they used. We _know_ (and it is quite openly announced) the Previews log a number of user input telemetry and data for (IMO) obvious reasons in a preview/beta.

Then the first comment on the blog post (and feel free to try again);

The source article isn't very trustworthy. The website is quite obviously an "alternative news" (read: "we post edgy bullshit to stroke our insane ideologies and to get lots of clicks") website, and an anonymous one on top of that.

A quick look through the website using Google Translate should be enough to alert more perceptive readers to this fact, considering the quality of their other articles. For more evidence, you can check their Czech Wikipedia page: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronet.cz although again you'll have to use Google translate for this.

Since they seem to like pro-Russian propaganda, I suppose their motivation for posting this particular article is that Microsoft is an US company and everything from the US is evil.

I'm not saying there are no privacy or security issues with Windows 10 telemetry, but you should take this article with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more like a pound.
Right so you copy/paste the first comment on the blog defending microsoft as your response.
what is in the text I wrote? "Until this gets debunked".... many news sites are covering the telemetry.

Re hits there are no ads on that blog post.

Last edited by Endisol; 08-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #466
innuendo

Quote:
So you have a laptop with a GFX card for which the manufacturer decided to not provided drivers yet, despite Microsoft having had an extensive and open beta period.. I'd say, talk to the GFX car manufacturer. Also which laptop, what year and which GFX card?

Then the updates, when you use WIN10 home then yes, you will not be allowed to disable or defer updates. You have some choice with Pro and can defer as needed on Enterprise. Frankly, makes sense to me.

How does the indexing breaking relate to the WIN10 update? How do you know this issue was not already there and just showed because of the fact you updated the OS? There's nothing here to point the finger to WIN10 as the cause.

Obviously there's so many different installs out there, some will break during update. As you should have a backup, do a fresh install of the original OS and update from there. Chances are it'll be fine.

And finally another possible bad driver, without more info it's basically a random guess as to what caused it.

To me it sounds like you are running some funky installs and configurations which accumulated some issues for you. I assume you have brought this to MSFT as well and joined the insider program to get these resolved. Posting here will certainly not get the attention of MSFT.
Thanks for all the suggestions, however I fear they are not relevant to the situation at hand, since you obviously didn't follow the thread or even the post you had been replying to... You see, I work in a repair shop, and it's not one machine with all those issues but rather many machines with many issues. And as I mentioned, issues in question are NOT due to the upgrade but rather due to hardware incompatibility and bugs in the OS. Just read my previous post... Also your assumption that the manufacturer did not provide drivers is wrong. They did, and also Windows Update did, and also specific graphics cards' manufacturers did. We tried them all in different configurations.

I don't have any need or desire to mess with msft or talk to Microsoft or whatever. This is also completely unrelated to the question at hand which is whether it is safe to upgrade a production machine to Win10.

As to deferring updates: this is impossible for Win10 Home which is what actually matters. At least in my country, the vast majority of people are using the Home versions (or "Core") of Win7 and Win8. Also for Win7 and Win8, there is almost no point to buy and use anything else but Home. Apparently Microsoft is trying to change things with Win 10 by turning Home users into beta-testers of their updates before they push them to the Pro and Enterprise users, but I doubt many people here or anywhere will buy into this new paradigm.

Last edited by innuendo; 08-18-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #467
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endisol View Post
Right so you copy/paste the first comment on the blog defending microsoft as your response.
what is in the text I wrote? "Until this gets debunked".... many news sites are covering the telemetry.

Re hits there are no ads on that blog post.
I'm not defending anything, I am questioning the reporting, motivation and truthfulness of the claims made in the blog post on the fact there's no mention of _which_ version of Windows 10 they talk about and the fact we _know_ this data is collected in the previews for obvious reasons as Microsoft is very upfront and open about this in the T&C for joining the insider program. It's very easy, knowing this, to make it appear that this is happening in the actual release version while not showing, mentioning or even proving any of this.

Also knowing the background of the origin of this 'report'puts the whole thing in to a very different light. The response on the actual blog post is accurate and easily verified..

Again, if you, for whatever reason, do not like, trust or accept the conditions for using Windows 10 then don't. But stop posting these wild and really speculative links which do not prove anything.

But it's time for me to stop giving the scaremongering TFH club the attention it seems to crave so much. I'll just go back to doing useful and productive stuff..
Old 08-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #468
richie43

I tend to be paranoid about my DAW OS , and do quite a bit of research (and VM testing, and old computer installs, and..) before messing with my production rig. With 3 different OS images (using 3 different back-up software's), I went ahead and upgraded to 10 and it has been not only fine but great. I have also been monitoring the network traffic and from that I am assuming that the blog linked to above is about an early tester build. I am running home and have seemed to have been able to disable most things except the updates. I may pay for the upgrade to gain some more control, I haven't decided. But I do think that while this new OS is certainly more different than what it is replacing, it is not nearly as nefarious and evils the tin-foil hat wearers are preaching. Sorry for that comment, I actually have my own custom fitted tin-foil hat, but I am not wearing mine for this one.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #469
Stringer

I managed to get rid of the "Upgrade to Win 10" nag pop-up by uninstalling and hiding the update. Then I shrank the Windows partition and installed Linux Mint 17.2 with the "MATE" interface, which looks a bit like Win XP. It's now dual boot, Win 7 and Linux. I use Win 7 for Reaper and Netflix and Linux for everything else. Linux has come a long way since I last tried it eight years ago. Already I forget that I am using Linux.

There are ways to use Reaper and Netflix in Linux using Wine, but I will get to that later. The command line in Linux can be obscure. Makes me feel like I am back in DOS. But most ordinary things can be done with mouse clicks in the graphical environment. It's cool. Not for everyone, but cool. I am kind of happy that the Win 10 sneakiness pushed me in this direction.

I think Microsoft will fix a lot of things in Win 10 and address the privacy concerns in some way, as they have in the past. I think that turning something off should actually turn it off, for example, and updates should be voluntary whether you paid for Home or Pro. Maybe I'll try it later. But for now, I am enjoying the Linux adventure instead.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #470
SmajjL

I "believe that it is within MS business to protect us and the day something happens (oops) that will confirm & justify our current forum sceptics worries, the internet will blow up, so I am not worried until it's time to get worried.
Been on MS all their life, sure they know everything about me by now, or something.
I wish Linux the best and hope they will bring some serious competition one day, not kidding.
If I was only painting and watching movies, doing some reading and stuff then Linux is already there for me easy.

Del Två:

So let's Prrretend for one moment that all the data is for services to work and stuff, their business and that they give you in writing, what happens in Microsoft, stays in Microsoft, that would not be enough huh? = nope, *poff-gone*-> Linux?
And, since when is Linux all bulletproof top notch unbreakable fort knox? other then hackers prefer bigger audience.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-19-2015 at 10:22 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #471
godly

Hey guys,
here's a good tool to tweak W10 for music ! Even disable the updates
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...r-4-windows-10
Old 08-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #472
dea-man

Quote:
Hey guys,
This looks interesting.

Has anybody else had a successful experience with this?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #473
richie43

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am curious as to what the opinions are about this from a few of what I consider the deeply experienced Windows geeks around here. I am pretty PC savvy, and I have learned the hard way to distrust any 3rd party app that claims that it can safely tweak system-level things in a Windows OS.....Windows 10 has been awesome for me on 2 machines, one of which is my very busy "production rig". I would be very wary of this sort of app....
Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #474
richie43

Ha...warning #1 already...... on their download page they have a link that says "BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD: Click here to scan Windows for issues causing speed loss"......This is crazy stuff.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #475
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Ha...warning #1 already...... on their download page they have a link that says "BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD: Click here to scan Windows for issues causing speed loss"......This is crazy stuff.
I wouldn't touch that potentially spyware infested thing with a 10-foot pole. It's not the OPs fault though.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #476
richie43

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that potentially spyware infested thing with a 10-foot pole.
Oh, what could be wrong with a 3rd party app that can reach deep into your OS and disable and change things that the OS doesn't want messed with?!? Don't you know that Win10 is MS's tool to imprison our minds and take over the world?? I just re-fitted my tin-foil hat and re-supplied my bunker...I am ready for battle!!

Edit:
I am not attacking the OP......Sorry if it seemed that way. I am only trying to make a point...If you don't like Windows 10, don't use it. But it is very risky to think that an app like that can "fix" anything. Use an OS that you are ok with and one that works well with very little (or zero even) "tweaks". I used to tweak my OS very heavily, and when I had issues, it was always extremely hard (or impossible) to trace the problem. I have used little-to-no tweaks since Windows 7, and 10 is awesome for me so far.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #477
plamuk

does anyone know how to get rid of the feature that brings up all open windows in small form when you hit windowskey+arrow L or R in order to move something around your screen? i prefer the windows 7 version of this feature that doesn't try to baby you so much
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #478
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Edit:
I am not attacking the OP......Sorry if it seemed that way. I
It didn't, I just noticed that the download page has all the red flags of a malware site (as you also noted) and thought I'd chime in too but didn't want the OP to think we were dissing his helpful attitude which we aren't.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #479
richie43

Quote:
It didn't, I just noticed that the download page has all the red flags of a malware site (as you also noted) and thought I'd chime in too but didn't want the OP to think we were dissing his helpful attitude which we aren't.
Agreed Brutha.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #480
godly

Nah, I don't see any probs with it, it's even delivered as a zip file, so no install, just run it. Works fine for me.
I'm just doubting to switch my live windows 8.1 pc to W10.
Now my 8.1 restarts in 3.8 sec, that's as fast as a Tesla !!! ;-)

I have W10 on my desktop and the restart is as fast or rather as slow as my W7. What are your experiences Richie?