Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
X-Tech
Human being with feelings

Default Ultimate Pan - Representation. Ultimate Paning IDEA ()

I invented another BIG simple idea....this idea is about auto- representation of pannings of each track created in project in visual way by one circle with point in center and lines which represent each single folder/bus/track pan in project.. Very simple and powerfull...now management of used tracks will be fast and simple...
each color can represent track color...there could be little names of tracks on each single line...i think its simple to make and very powerfull..to control pans.
as extra these color lines could to represent stereo width of each but at beginning just pan could be amazing and simple toolll..

Basically:

for example:
5 project tracks

1 bass (yellow)
2 perc (red)
3 synth1 (green)
4 synth2 (violet)
5 strings (blue)
Attached Images
File Type: png Bez nazwy.png (17.4 KB, 486 views)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
X-Raym

Note: this is definitly possible via scripts. :P

About pan representation, I made this one: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209884

I think it is more convenient
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 AM   #3
X-Tech

i do understand your script. i see some breaks on these automations this is problematic.
this is not full information but overall i get idea and yes it can help in another way
- time view of value changes - like map. but still this is not full solution for panning i guess....

circle with lines - specifically for panning special representation - extra would be amazing and spare a lot of time. pan is about position in 180 half of circle of each track pan position.

when i do pan i want to know where is panned specific track used in project.
half of circle representation is perfect for that purpose with track names and color.
mostly usefull for hard panned tracks cause able to quick set pan position on different positions especially when moved lines on graph could be fully rotational by center point on circle. if these lines on circle can change position in real time by custom refresh rate - it could be another amazing view of pan mechanics. lines width could represent the stereo width of each panned track. by clicking them by example 2 times it would jump into stereo width mode change where selected lines can change wisth by mouse move (stereo width) this could be total solution for panning set and view for automated pan and not automated pan tracks with option to set pans for all used tracks from 1 graph (!) record automations for pans from this graph by moving lines left and right by center point ? another extra option.

I would like to make script for this by my self but i didnt know where even start to get specific values which i need and how to program this. this is bad. anyway my intuition
tells me this is simpler than i think and this is brilliant. i introduced basic mechanics above.

Last edited by X-Tech; 08-18-2018 at 04:29 AM.
X-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:35 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Completely useless when you have more than 8-10 colors going on there.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
X-Raym

Quote:
i see some breaks on these automations this is problematic.
Of course if it can do the really advanced task of only displaying automation below items, it can display whole track automation, items or not. It was the initial version of the script. Adding the "break" features took several hours by itself :P

Anyway, it doesn't answer your particular request but it shows you that yes it is possible to build custom track pan visualization in REAPER.

Quote:
I would like to make script for this by my self
All you need is to get familiar with ReaScript (check my totorial link in signature), with GFX with lokasenna tutorial https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176662, and with the REAPER API.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
X-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Completely useless when you have more than 8-10 colors going on there.
of course there need to be track names close to these pan lines. in my vision these names is fully rotational - it means - change positions with lines - or in simple way - as list
below - marking selected line and track name.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
X-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Of course if it can do the really advanced task of only displaying automation below items, it can display whole track automation, items or not. It was the initial version of the script. Adding the "break" features took several hours by itself :P

Anyway, it doesn't answer your particular request but it shows you that yes it is possible to build custom track pan visualization in REAPER.

All you need is to get familiar with ReaScript (check my totorial link in signature), with GFX with lokasenna tutorial https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176662, and with the REAPER API.
ill try what i can get from this. maybe someone discover my idea faster and turn it into fully functional script (before i learn how to do it)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Lunar Ladder

It's a swell idea, but it has the same sort of problem the Track Wiring view has without filtering/keywords/etc. Then, if you need to create pan visualization groups and filterings and whatnot, it stops being a quick and intuitive way to see all panning at once.

In other words, this is what the wiring looks like when looking at a large amount of tracks in a real-world Kontakt project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJGCkkvdaA

Hnnng (0:06 is a whopper)
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
X-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
It's a swell idea, but it has the same sort of problem the Track Wiring view has without filtering/keywords/etc. Then, if you need to create pan visualization groups and filterings and whatnot, it stops being a quick and intuitive way to see all panning at once.

In other words, this is what the wiring looks like when looking at a large amount of tracks in a real-world Kontakt project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJGCkkvdaA

Hnnng (0:06 is a whopper)
of course it's gonna be fast to locate. at graph each line representing pan position should have little name nearby line.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Tech View Post
of course it's gonna be fast to locate. at graph each line representing pan position should have little name nearby line.
Erm.. "Of course" it's fast to locate? The implied problem was, how does this design scale up when there is a considerable amount of tracks instead of a convenient small amount, in order to have space for that sort of labeling? Especially if a lot of channels are panned approximately in the same position, and many inevitably share similar colors.

Don't get me wrong, as I said it's a swell idea. For projects with a compact enough amount of tracks.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
X-Raym

For my script it just mimic track selection so that any tool can be used to filter the displayed tracks on the chart. Simple as that.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
X-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
Erm.. "Of course" it's fast to locate? The implied problem was, how does this design scale up when there is a considerable amount of tracks instead of a convenient small amount, in order to have space for that sort of labeling? Especially if a lot of channels are panned approximately in the same position, and many inevitably share similar colors.

Don't get me wrong, as I said it's a swell idea. For projects with a compact enough amount of tracks.
track list at one side of graph. when one track name is selected from list this pan line will be selected too. so simple even for tons of tracks.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
X-Raym

Another Track Pan visualization in progress:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=282
Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #14
X-Tech

Ok so i decided to show my idea closer. I know it's b.r.i.l.l.i.a.n.t idea and simple at same time. this is more close to complete my vision. it resolve all problems that you guys thinking would have with that - but it's not true. there is no problems like that at all. Look at this.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph pan.png (51.4 KB, 280 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 05:12 AM   #15
X-Raym

I wanted to test a track pan visualization with my own requirements, and I remembered there was this almost similar request. :P

Here is my attempt:

Just a small experiment for now no, no release plan on the way (releasing for public require way more advanced precautions, and customization possibility I think).

But it looks pretty good for dialog pan visualization for audio fiction (one character per tracks).
Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #16
Dafarkias

@ X-Raym

Interested!

Is this going to be one of your premium scripts, I assume?

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
X-Raym

And here is an equilateral triangle mode, maybe better (for simulating ideal stereo speaker position).

@Dafarkias
Quote:
Is this going to be one of your premium scripts, I assume?
If I release it, yes surely. It is the kind of script for wich people would expect support. :P
Old 10-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #18
Dafarkias

I would probably buy it. Graphical display of panning via integration of audio tracks really appeals to me

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
enroe

Of course you can install all kinds of scripts and stuff.
Nevertheless I would prefer a lightweight native solution,
something like this.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
X-Raym

@enroe
Your example shows a per track pan knob display. My graph is about All tracks in the same display (and not for panning, just for visualizing).
For script VS native, I prefer a script solution which works than a 'native' which may never be implemented :P
Old 12-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
TobyAM

Quote:

And here is an equilateral triangle mode, maybe better (for simulating ideal stereo speaker position).

@Dafarkias

If I release it, yes surely. It is the kind of script for wich people would expect support. :P
Where is the buy button man? the money is trying to find a way there!
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #22
SaintIdiot

Quote:
I wanted to test a track pan visualization with my own requirements, and I remembered there was this almost similar request. :P

Here is my attempt:

Just a small experiment for now no, no release plan on the way (releasing for public require way more advanced precautions, and customization possibility I think).

But it looks pretty good for dialog pan visualization for audio fiction (one character per tracks).
A little sad to discover this isn't a thing yet! I'd love to buy it if it's still in the making. Likewise for your MultiTracks Envelope Chart from another thread!
SaintIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:22 PM   #23
SaintIdiot

Checking back again just to say I still think this would be a dope feature.
SaintIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote