Old 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
ClintF
Human being with feelings

Default Playback Audio problem

Hello,

After either the 5.981 or 982 upgrade, I've started having a problem w/my audio playback volume being greatly reduced. Normal audio plays fine (mp3s or streaming played thru Groove or Amazon music) but anything played thru Reaper is greatly reduced. I am using 5.983X64 on a Windows 10 PC. My default is to use the ASIO4All v2 driver installed by Reaper. The problem is not fixed if I change to either DirectSound or WASAPI for the Audio system. My PC - which has up until recently - worked fine for years is a Surface Pro 4 plugged into a Surface dock. My speakers are connected to the dock (and yes, I've reset the dock by removing power from it). The output range is set to First:Surface dock 1 - Last: Surface dock 2. I've tried changing this so both are set to either 1 or 2 but this doesn't make any difference. Interestingly, the volume of the track will reach a certain point where turning the volume up on the speaker (it's a logitech 2.1 set) doesn't result in the track getting any louder, just the background hiss.
I'm really at wits end as to how to fix this so any insight is appreciated.

Thank you
ClintF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
drumphil

Is the volume difference only with stuff you've recorded into reaper, or does it still happen if you import an mp3 that ordinarily plays fine, and play it with the track and master fader set to 0db?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
ClintF

It's on every existing project I open in Reaper. I will try opening a commercial mp3 today and post back. That's a good idea.

Last edited by ClintF; 09-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
ClintF

I inserted a commercial mp3 and played it back and it was affected in the same manner. I confirmed the volume level settings were zeroed out. I raised the output as high as it would go and the volume did go up but only barely. No idea what's going on w/Reaper now but its effectively useless to me now
Old 09-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #5
drumphil

I doubt it's a reaper problem. There have been various audio issues with the surface docks over time as microsoft has released updates.

Try playback with foobar or something else that supports ASIO. If the problem remains, then reaper isn't to blame.

I'm pretty sure the surface dock uses some kind of Dobly "enhancement" to get something resembling decent sound from it's tiny speakers, so maybe that was enabled before but is turned off now for whatever reason.

Last edited by drumphil; 09-21-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
ClintF

I tried different audio drivers in Reaper (DirectSound, WASAPI, WaveOut) thru both the Surface dock and internal speakers and they all exhibit the problem. Anything not played back thru Reaper plays fine and anything played back thru it is very muted.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
ClintF

I was able to download another DAW, set it to use the ASIO4All driver and playback the demo file w/no issues so I think there's definitely something amiss in my Reaper configuration
Old 09-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
drumphil

You should get the portable version of reaper and try with that. It will have a clean configuration.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintF View Post
I was able to download another DAW, set it to use the ASIO4All driver and playback the demo file w/no issues so I think there's definitely something amiss in my Reaper configuration
Anything in your monitor FX chain?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
ClintF

So, running the same files in a portable install of Reaper worked just fine so it's something in my regular install for sure that's messed up.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
ClintF

I don't believe there's anything in my monitor FX chain but I don't know how to confirm that for certain. How would I do that (sorry for the noob question) Still learning the ins and outs of Reaper
Old 09-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
ClintF

and after having said that I found the monitor FX chain and voila that's what it was. Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction.