Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Protection notices in G-Mail

Every time I open my gmail I get this notice. Of course I don't open them, but I'm wondering if anyone else is getting these notices.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Looks like spam.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Philbo King

McAffee is worse than most viruses...
As long as you have a clone of C: and important data backed up I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
grinder

Put their address in your blocked senders list and you will not have to worry no more Tod

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
ivansc

The other thing worth checking is that you dont still have some old Mcaffee stuff hanging around on your machine. I had the same problems for ages till I went on a real search-and-destroy mission for Norton.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Tod

Thanks every one, I'll see if I can put it in the spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The other thing worth checking is that you dont still have some old Mcaffee stuff hanging around on your machine. I had the same problems for ages till I went on a real search-and-destroy mission for Norton.
I've never had Mcaffee installed on this machine and it's a custom computer so I'm not sure how I could have gotten it.

Thanks Ivan, I will check to see.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
JamesPeters

It could be phishing. It's very common. I don't know if they are using McAfee as part of their shtick but it would be easy enough to do: they just need to make an email with some of their pics, etc.

Phishing scams involve the scammers pretending to be anyone: Nigerian princes, Microsoft, Google, airlines, your bank, the IRS, the police, someone who "already has your personal information" (and threatening extortion) and so on. The main trick is to get you to call them (or that you answer when they call you) and that you believe them when they tell you something that sounds "believable enough" partially because they try to scare you into paying them. "You have 24 hours to pay" (or else whatever consequences) etc. If they convince you to let them take control of your computer (using teamviewer etc.) they can lock you out (using syskey) and ransom the computer to you, or just dig through for financial info. Some of it is more convincing than other scams, but they usually prey on people who don't know much about computers/taxes/etc. (or their own rights). There are call centers set up for this sort of thing (India has a lot of them), and scam popups/ads on websites/in emails etc. to harvest in callers. You can find Youtube channels of "scam baiters" calling them to waste their time and enrage them (kitboga is one of my favorites)...I recommend watching some of the videos for information and entertainment.

Make sure your Gmail has this setting (under "general" in settings): "Ask before displaying external images". That way it's not going to load an image from some remote site, and possibly track you as a result (even so much as confirming you received the email).

If you hover your mouse cursor over any of the links in the email (don't click, just hover and look at the info for the link at the bottom of your web browser!), chances are none of them are official McAfee links. Even if they look similar (like "mcafee.security.com" or anything which isn't *exactly* mcafee.com), they're probably fake. I see "download10.pw" in the header there. That doesn't look suspicious at all.

Even if they are real, lol who uses McAfee.

As for your phone's Gmail app (assuming you have one):

-open the Gmail app.
-In the top left, tap Menu "hamburger" button.
-Scroll down to "Images".
-choose "Ask before displaying external images."

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-24-2019 at 02:58 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
serr

No phishing scams from gmail recently that I noticed. But I use my yahoo account mostly...

I did get one of the ebay phishing scams again yesterday though. "Please sign into our webpage pretending to be ebay and give us your account name and password please." (I might be paraphrasing.)

About once a month or so with that.
There's a Paypal one too.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
tack

Tod, have you ever visited download10.pw?

This looks like it might be a browser notification. Check to see if you've granted that site to push notifications. In Chrome it's under browser settings | Advanced | Privacy and Security | Site Settings | Notifications. In Firefox it's under Settings | Privacy & Security | Permissions | Notifications Settings. Check to see if download10.pw is listed there.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Tod

Again thanks to all of you for your great suggestons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Tod, have you ever visited download10.pw?

This looks like it might be a browser notification. Check to see if you've granted that site to push notifications. In Chrome it's under browser settings | Advanced | Privacy and Security | Site Settings | Notifications. In Firefox it's under Settings | Privacy & Security | Permissions | Notifications Settings. Check to see if download10.pw is listed there.
Thanks tack, as far as I know I haven't visited download10.pw.

This would be chrome.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #11
Not_Here

download10.pw?! That IS NOT a url
It is not a browser notification
It IS Phishing.

if anything its a failed (but maybe not) attempt to plant some malware.

That domain is registered in RUSSIA
Registrar URL: https://www.reg.ru/

Registrant Email: scovik@gmail.com
Admin Phone: +7.9194515625
Admin Email: scovik@gmail.com
Tech Phone: +7.9194515625
Tech Email: scovik@gmail.com

Reg.RU is a hosting site. SO unless some anti virus YOU NEVER HAD has moved it's business website to some small time Russian ISP then just block that email then delete.
NEVER EVER FOLLOW ANY LINK IN ANY EMAIL
If you think its real, go to the website you normally deal with and check things as you normally would.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Tod

Wow Not_Here, that's a lot of stuff.

For now I managed to do what tack suggested and I delete most every thing as well as blocked it.

I'll see what happens.

Thanks Not_Here, if things don't change I'll come back and look over what you've got.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
jinotsuh

With regards to McAfee, if you have Adobes Flash player installed, when updating it you have to be careful to deselect the option to install McAfee stuff along with the install/update, it's easy to miss, I always make sure to deselect it after being hit once. once was enough. There could well be other delivery methods that McAfee stuff finds its way on to your machine if you aren't vigilant. I personally treat McAfee and Norton/Symantec as a virus in its own right, worse actually.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
With regards to McAfee, if you have Adobes Flash player installed, when updating it you have to be careful to deselect the option to install McAfee stuff along with the install/update, it's easy to miss, I always make sure to deselect it after being hit once. once was enough. I personally treat McAfee and Norton/Symantec as a virus in its own right, worse actually.
I don't have Adobes Flash player installed, but thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
I personally treat McAfee and Norton/Symantec as a virus in its own right, worse actually.
Obviously you are not alone.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #15
grinder

I guess you will know these things Tod
I block with the real address of the spam / Phishing (under "Message ID")
and the given address.
in both
Thunderbird and my Internet Security program.
In Thunderbird I activate to see the whole headers of my spam where the real address hides. When I put this address in my protection I take the < and >
at the beginning and end off the address first, I do not know whether
you need to do it, I do it anyway.

I don't have my audio computer online.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
nicholas
Scribe

Tod ...

Sorry to be late to this one (time differences)....

One simple tip with any suspicious looking email is to see if the body of the email text is addressed to you by name. Not "Dear customer" or anything similar, but "Hello Tod" or "Dear Tod Bloggs" (if that was your actual name or "Mr Bloggs" or .. well you get the idea.

If it isn't there's a very high probability that at best it's unwanted spam, at worst someone trying to lure you towards malware.

I get fake phishing expeditions alleging to come from PayPal all the time.

Last edited by nicholas; 06-24-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fix typos!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 AM   #17
cutnpaste
Banned

On my system I have deleted the email support. All those sights allowed access by the firewall I have deleted both incoming and outgoing items. I also use a browser that blocks advertising.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #18
MusoBob

All those type of emails if you hover over the button it will show the link at the bottom of your browser and you will see a weird link address nothing to do with the company it's suppose to be from.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
With regards to McAfee, if you have Adobes Flash player installed, when updating it you have to be careful to deselect the option to install McAfee stuff along with the install/update, it's easy to miss, I always make sure to deselect it after being hit once. once was enough. There could well be other delivery methods that McAfee stuff finds its way on to your machine if you aren't vigilant. I personally treat McAfee and Norton/Symantec as a virus in its own right, worse actually.
To his point, there are a number of things that are downloaded that have check boxes to install McAfee, among other things. I suspect one of them slipped by you some time ago.

Have you looked in your installed programs or running services to see if anything related to McAfee is installed or running on your computer? If so, remove the program or stop the service, see if that fixes it.

Just curious, but do you access your gmail via a web browser or an email client like Outlook etc?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #20
Tod

well, I think I finally got it. I was flooded with them this morning, and I got to looking. There was a
settings button that I clicked on and was able to block it from getting in my email. It's circled in red
below.

I was hoovering over the window like MusoBob suggested when I noticed it.