Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #41
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys View Post
Great stuff Dannii - I like it very much!

I cant get the 2nd mix, I get this..
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

As for inluences, I can hear Floyd, Jon Lord, Tangerine Dream, Pendragon.

Keep it up - long live prog!
God bless,
Paul.
Thanks heaps Paul
Where did you get the link to the second mix from? I updated all my links in this topic to point to the latest version and have removed the earlier versions from my server to reduce server load. That'll be why you're getting the invalid attachment message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Fantastic!
And impressive studio pictures too!
Cheers Jax. Glad you like it

Hopefully everyone will like this just as much after I've recorded the sax parts and the vocals. I've written the lyrics, now I'm looking for the right vocalist and that is definitely NOT me!!! My vocal ability would be guaranteed to make you all run for cover!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #42
Dannii

31st May, 2011: Major update to this topic. The song is now written fully!! I am still looking for the right vocalist though. I've decided my vocals aren't really good enough for the final release.

Please note: Old links to the previews of this when it was a work in progress will no longer work. I have removed them from my server.

I have updated my first post in this topic with the final details of the recording and mix sessions.

I ended up doing the vocal part myself despite having NEVER recorded my vocals before. Please let me know what you think of my first vocal recording ever! Please be honest too guys. If you think I should find a 'real' vocalist, don't be afraid to say so. You won't hurt my feelings!!

Last edited by Dannii; 05-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #43
Dannii

Bumpage.... I hope my vocal attempt didn't scare you all away. Nearly 60 downloads from my server so far and no comments yet.....
Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #44
keys

Hi Dannii,
I've had just ONE listen through - and thought I'd give my initial feedback as a prog fan and as a Christian.
Its warts and all, but all in love you understand - I suffer the same dilemmas as you
Great witness, excellent words and fab music. I really thought the intro build up over the scripture was very powerful, but the vocal sounds a bit rushed towards the end - you might consider more bars to slow the pace a tad.
The instrumental side is for me quite excellent, I really love the guitar solos and sax playing. The overall sound is very 'warm floyd' to me - lovely!

I've been listening to the new Neal Morse Testimony-2 album over the last few days and your music stands up to it - very well done! ('cos i REALLY like the album!)

I do hesitate to say this cos I know I suffer the same issue, but the vocal for me doesnt do it. The complexity of the instrumentation needs a really strong 'resonant' vocal in my mind for it to cut through. you have a lot of fx on the vocal which may not be helping there in the mix tho'. I lead worship and have a problem, my wife says i sing out of tune, I think I'm in tune (even when i play back a recording) but my confidence is bashed a bit, so I'm not sure about putting my vocals down either - is it possible that some folks can /cannot hear the difference?

BUT... dont let this put you off tho' - if YOU think its OK, then it IS OK - its YOUR music and God will bless it!

Praise God for your gifts - VERY encouraging!
God bless you,
Paul.

I'll have more listens and see how it grows - like all good prog!
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #45
Dannii

Thanks heaps for taking the time to have a listen and offer your feedback Paul. This is exactly the sort of feedback I am after.

I'm a little too close to my vocal to make a decent judgement on it's merits and lack thereof but I would very much like to hear someone accomplished doing this justice. I have been praying earnestly for such a singer now for two and a half years but so far, nobody has stepped up. Being keen and eager to get these songs out there, I was quite excited that I could even hold a tune and in that excitement, my critical judgement is suffering.

It's interesting that you mentioned about the rushed feeling of the introduction scriptures. I feel the same way and was in two minds whether or not it worked. I'm going to have a play around with that now and see what I can do to extend the intro a little.

I hadn't heard of Neal Morse so have just found his website and am listening to 'Lifeline' now. WOW!!! This is inspiring!! Great stuff!

Thanks again bro.

God bless,
Dannii.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
Jedi

Hi Danni - I think the song link has expired. I just found
this thread and would love to hear your song.

Can you post up another link to your final mix?

Jedi
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #47
keys

hi Jedi, make sure you refresh your browser on page 1 and hit the post 1 link - its still ok - loads an .mp3 file.
keys.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #48
Jedi

Quote:
hi Jedi, make sure you refresh your browser on page 1 and hit the post 1 link - its still ok - loads an .mp3 file.
keys.
That was it... DOH!

Thanks - downloading now.

Jedi
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #49
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
That was it... DOH!

Thanks - downloading now.

Jedi
Sorry to be a pain but I have just finished doing some more tweaks and have uploaded another version with an extended intro. I slowed down the pace of the intro scriptures and added some thunder from a storm I recorded many years ago.

If you refresh your browser again and go to the link in my first post, you'll find the newest version.

I have also decided that I still need a 'real' vocalist. My vocals are OK as a guide but they don't really do the song justice.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #50
poing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Yeah. "God hates fags".
poing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #51
keys

Dannii, see your pm.
Paul.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #52
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
What a journey!

Dannii, this is a wonderful piece of work right here. The playing, the flow, the recording, the mix, the sounds... all fantastic. I'm so very impressed right now. The keys are especially rich.

I'm going to say Genesis, Floyd, Zappa and Chicago.

Great song and yes totally had those bands type of feel to it! Good job! Nice sounds (Amazing Wurlitzer!) and even awesomer lil studio set up!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #53
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poing View Post
Yeah. "God hates fags".
Gee... that's nice, TROLL.

Jedi
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #54
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Great song and yes totally had those bands type of feel to it! Good job! Nice sounds (Amazing Wurlitzer!) and even awesomer lil studio set up!
+1 on all. Dannii you amaze me at all the musical skills
you have... you seem quite at home at anything you choose
to play (OK, maybe not sax )

Jedi
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #55
pattste

Very nice song, Danii. I first noticed how good the bass playing was and then I realized you played all those instruments very well. Congrats.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #56
Dannii

Quote:
Dannii, see your pm.
Paul.
Cheers for the suggestions Paul. I'll reply to you in more detail later today. For now though, I will mention here that I think I may have found the vocalist I have been searching for for two and a half years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Cheers Obi. I'm loving SampleTank. I have quite a few libraries now too which I got during the group buy here on the REAPER forum. Some great stuff in there!
My studio has been a long time in the making. I've been putting it together steadily for more than 25 years now!! It is a fun place though and I love the freedom the tools of today have enabled. It is a far cry from my beginnings with a Studiomaster four track, an Akai Reel to Reel and a Roland Juno 6 in 1984.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
+1 on all. Dannii you amaze me at all the musical skills
you have... you seem quite at home at anything you choose
to play (OK, maybe not sax )

Jedi
Cheers J. My main audience these days is Jesus and if others enjoy what I do as well, then so much the better!!
....and sax is one instrument I WOULD love to learn. I just haven't got the funds to purchase a sax right now. I do play trumpet though but I'm pretty rusty through lack of practise (embouchure requires constant exercise to retain a decent tone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Very nice song, Danii. I first noticed how good the bass playing was and then I realized you played all those instruments very well. Congrats.
Thank you for the compliments pattste. I do have the advantage in the studio of redoing things if I mess up though and that certainly comes in handy for the instruments that aren't my forte!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #57
ObiK

Well either way it looked awesome. LOVED the Roland kit! lol
Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #58
merdave

Go to http://www.joannmcfatter.com/ and see if you can contact her. I think you two would make a great combo if you could work something out.
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #59
flmason

Page is down at the moment, but geez, I green with envy about your studio equipment. Wow, look at all that good stuff, LOL!
flmason is offline   Reply With Quote