Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
newb
Human being with feelings

Default No Sound

Hi everyone,

I'm a newby to Reaper and unfortunately I can't get it to play sound. I'm trying with my new Alesis VMini Midi Keyboard (which I also never used before, so it's 2 "Firsts").

I think I set up Reaper correctly. That's what I did:

- Preferences -> Midi-Devices: Enable VMini (I didn't enable another device called "MIDIIN2 (VMini), because enabling it doesn't seem to do anything)
- Preferences -> Devices: Audio System: Asio, Asio Driver: Asio4All
- add a track
- input-midi > VMini > Channel 1
- Record Monitoring ON
- Record: input (audio or midi)
- FX: RearSynth(Cockos)
- record armed

I can see in the Mixer at the bottom, that the input is working when I press buttons on the keyboard. However, I can't hear anything.

However, I think my sound settings on my laptop are wrong. Asio4All was not preinstalled, I downloaded it. In it I can select 2 Output sources: Bluetooth-Audio and Conexant 20672 Audio HD. In microsofts device manager I can see that Bluetooth is disconnected, and Conexant is connected. The weird thing is, in the Asio settings its the other way around! If i activate Conexant, no sound works anymore. Also the input in reaper doesnt work anymore. On the other hand it doesn't make sense that it works with Bluetooth channel!

Sorry if it was a stupid question, I just really wanna try reaper and the VMini
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

In case you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general.

--------------------

General info about setup and troubleshooting of ASIO4ALL can be found here: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm
The ASIO4ALL Panel can be accessed via the [ASIO Configuration...] button in Reaper's Audio Device Preferences.

But I would recommend to try using WASAPI as Audio system first (instead of ASIO/ASIO4ALL), since ASIO4ALL can be a little bit cumbersome to set up on some laptops (or with some built-in laptop audio devices).

Last edited by solger; 02-01-2018 at 12:15 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Philbo King

At the risk of stating something you might already know, feeding midi into Reaper is not enough to get audio out.

The midi needs to be fed to either:

a VSTi or DXi 'instrument' (basically a synthesizer based entirely on software, which outputs audio directly into Reaper tracks),

or fed back out of your computer to an external hardware synth (which needs to have its audio output cabled back into an audio input on your computer and fed to a record-armed track in Reaper).
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote