Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
JRusidoff
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up Akai mpk mini - i can't figure this out!

Have had Reaper for years now, but have not had as much time to use it as lots of you guys...I finally have the time and room now, so I have been trying to get in the "swang" of thangs...
I am trying to set up the Akai MPK mini and failing miserably, and I don't know where I am going wrong.
1. Downloaded the software for the MPK, updated all firmware.
2. It shows up in Windows 10 in video and game controllers.
3. In Reaper v6 I go into preferences and MIDI devices. I enable it for input and output.
4. I go to the control devices, it shows up, I use the Mackie control, enable this, and I get this message:

The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: MPKmini2
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened: MPKmini2

I have shut down Reaper, restarted...no difference
I have shut down Windows, restarted...no difference
I have disabled the MPK in Midi devices, removed it from control surfaces, restarted everything, set them up again, and .....no difference.
I have also changed USB cables and ports....no difference.

I have been at this for hours...does anyone have some advice? Am I missing something really simple and stupid? (I wouldn't be surprised)

Also, have tried to search but can't really find anything...also may be my fault.

Last edited by JRusidoff; 02-01-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more thoughts
JRusidoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:50 AM   #2
azslow3

Akai mpk mini is Ableton oriented device. That is problematic in REAPER. You can not use Control Surfaces plug-ins with it without loosing its MIDI keyboard functionality.

There are 2 approaches using it:
1) set "Enable input for control messages" in the MIDI settings. That will allow using MIDI Action shortcuts (f.e. for transport, controlling volumes, etc.) and learning FX automation parameters.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#LmEy49PH9p8 (after ~5min)

2) use ReaLearn: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/

Note that mpk mini has special Editor to arbitrary assign MIDI to controls, in 4 programs. Each pad can send up to 6 different messages per program (2xNotes, 2xCCs, 2xPCs). But MIDI messages can "clash" between controls, so a pad can sends the same message as some knob. The result can be surprising, I recommend configure the device such way that every message is unique. And you probably do not want assign Notes (default pad mode) to Actions, it will be hard to play keyboard without surprises then.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
JRusidoff

Default MPK mini

Thank you for the reply! The only thing I want to do with the Mini is use the pads and keyboard to play drums and keyboard instruments. I don't care about using it for anything else. Am I trying to set it up incorrectly for this?
Old 02-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
azslow3

Well... then just enable it in MIDI section of REAPER preferences and start using it. You may want reassign pad notes in Akai editor to match drum synth, but you can use keys without doing anything extra.
The first section of video I have linked before explain that in details.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 AM   #5
JRusidoff

Default Mpk mini

Thank you! Your reply helped me figure this out.