Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default What is this? Waveform moves when extending item.

Is this a known issue? I haven't searched for it on the forum. I need to extend the item to the left as show below but the waveform jumps over, it also jumps back and forth if I then change zoom level.

Snap and grid is off FYI but the behavior is the same when on..

Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm mp3-related oddity (what was the mp3 encoded with?), probably decode to .wav first to avoid that.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm mp3-related oddity (what was the mp3 encoded with?), probably decode to .wav first to avoid that.
It was the same with .wav but the animation preceded that test. Give me a sec to do that for completeness (and sanity).
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
karbomusic

Mostly negligible with .wav. That's close enough for me where the .mp3 was a larger distance displaced in time. I can grab the original .wav and use that. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Judders

Just wondering; does the audio match the waveform, or is it a drawing error?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Just wondering; does the audio match the waveform, or is it a drawing error?
I'm sure (think/hope) it is a drawing error but the problem with MP3 is that I'm testing songs recorded at rehearsal, if you don't mind the over explanation...

1. How's the tempo/meter etc., if we have bad habits that we are no longer aware of due to it being a habit where are they occurring.

2. "If" there is a problem, where is it and is it a real problem.

3. Based on the two above, let's place a few stretch markers to confirm what looks like a problem, is a problem or should be left alone. AKA if I stretch marker the section in question to the grid does it sound better or stiffer etc.

I already know the tempo of the tune and need to align the first transient to 1:0:0, then extend the left side of the item so that that first transient stays on the grid in the event I need to move it aka snap. Then I can judge everything to the right of that accordingly.

That MP3 jumping around screws that all up! On a side note the quality of the stretching etc. using stretch markers was pretty impressive.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm sure (think/hope) it is a drawing error but the problem with MP3 is that I'm testing songs recorded at rehearsal, if you don't mind the over explanation...

1. How's the tempo/meter etc., if we have bad habits that we are no longer aware of due to it being a habit where are they occurring.

2. "If" there is a problem, where is it and is it a real problem.

3. Based on the two above, let's place a few stretch markers to confirm what looks like a problem, is a problem or should be left alone. AKA if I stretch marker the section in question to the grid does it sound better or stiffer etc.

I already know the tempo of the tune and need to align the first transient to 1:0:0, then extend the left side of the item so that that first transient stays on the grid in the event I need to move it aka snap. Then I can judge everything to the right of that accordingly.

That MP3 jumping around screws that all up! On a side note the quality of the stretching etc. using stretch markers was pretty impressive.
It would make life easier if the audio did move with the waveform! That's a nasty bug.

And yeah, as someone who learnt to avoid stretching audio as much as possible in the early days of digital mangling, it's always a surprise how smooth it is these days!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It would make life easier if the audio did move with the waveform! That's a nasty bug.
If it actually moves, then I can't place it where I want and have the item at the grid boundary? It fixes itself at various zoom levels FYI. Either way, I agree but I can workaround it for now albeit a fair bit annoying since I'm using MP3s because I'm grabbing them from the web repository I send to the guys - sort of a pain to glue and create a new file or go back and re-render from the original project - I'll get by though for now as I don't do this that often.