Old 08-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
Wino Bob
Human being with feelings

Default old guy new hobby

Hi Everyone,
After @(&*# years, I'm finally getting back to music. I'm not a musician - used to be a drummer (insert joke here) nor do I know computers very well (I know, I'm going to be a nightmare . . ). Anyway I have already set up what I need (I think). Scarlett 2i4, win 10/16 gig ram, mics, acoustic guitar, and a very old keyboard circa 1987 . . . I have to say this is the one piece of equipment I'm worried about. I can see the signal lighting up the 2i4 but it's not lighting up the armed track. But I just stared browsing the manual and looking at the videos (wow).

Just wanted to say thanks in advance and really looking forward to getting all these ideas and tunes stared.
Wino Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

Looks like you already found the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and the Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php)

Quote:
I have to say this is the one piece of equipment I'm worried about. I can see the signal lighting up the 2i4 but it's not lighting up the armed track.
In general, make sure that the input range (from first to last) is enabled and selected correctly in Preferences > Audio > Device: www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3W1NowUFA4

And that these 3 points are set correctly for the Track:

1) Correct Track Input (from the 2i4) selected
2) Track Record Arm Button enabled
3) Input Monitoring enabled

More info here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#iLC1HjLXLd0
Most likely point 3) is the missing step ...

Last edited by solger; 08-27-2017 at 11:10 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
G-Sun

Welcome!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Wino Bob

Thanks G-Sun / solger

Looked at the info and everything looks good. Since this is midi the audio device is Asio enabled. The Focusrite midi 'light' lights up regardless of if the track is armed or not and Input midi/Focusrite midi/all channels is set. still no recording. I noticed the time/measure ruler does not move when I arm the track and hit record . . hummm I'm guessing it won't move if there is 'nothing' to record?

thanks again
Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino Bob View Post
Since this is midi the audio device is Asio enabled. The Focusrite midi 'light' lights up regardless of if the track is armed or not and Input midi/Focusrite midi/all channels is set.
Ah OK.

For recording MIDI make sure that the Focusrite MIDI input (where the keyboard MIDI output is connected to) is enabled under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices.
If your keyboard only has keys (without any additional knobs, faders, etc.), activating just Enable Input is enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPVY7LYAMs

The 3 settings for the Track (correct MIDI input selected, Track Record Armed and Input Monitoring enabled) are basically the same as for recording Audio - except for selecting a MIDI input instead of an Audio Input for the Track.
But for generating Audio from the MIDI notes, you'll also need to insert a virtual instrument on the Track: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

Using Insert > Virtual instrument on new track sets up the 3 Track settings automatically. So you only need to adjust the MIDI input, if needed.

By the way, what's the model name of the keyboard?

Last edited by solger; 08-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I noticed the time/measure ruler does not move when I arm the track and hit record . . hummm I'm guessing it won't move if there is 'nothing' to record?
Heyah- if your on windows (not sure with mac) but there might be a couple of reasons for that-either your interface is 'buzy' or being used by another prog/browser w/e.. or..you may right click the play button and see if any 'sync' options are checked there..>? they can both holt the playback,,unless paused of course. =)
Sometimes-if you have an internet browser window open,you can still do audio sharing,by 'minimizing' your browser window...it kinda 'releases the driver--well,it does here anyway.Y/N?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Wino Bob

it's a Casio CT-460 (yes, very old)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Wino Bob

But for generating Audio from the MIDI notes, you'll also need to insert a virtual instrument on the Track: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

Using Insert > Virtual instrument on new track sets up the 3 Track settings automatically. So you only need to adjust the MIDI input, if needed.

Looked at the video and by the 43 second mark I should be getting a signal from the keyboard regardless of inserting a virtual instrument (and I didn't). I inserted a V/I on a new track and the only change in the three settings was it populated to all midi inputs/all channels (rather than the Focusrite midi I had previous. But I went ahead and chose the Reasynth.
The keyboard does have faders and the midi fader is being used.
I do appreciate this must be frustrating for the forum and thanks for all the guidance.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Wino Bob

HI Bri1
you may right click the play button and see if any 'sync' options are checked there..>?

When I right click -the Enable sync to timecode is not checked, but both playback and recording are checked. No idea what "LCT: input 1" means
Old 08-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
solger

Quote:
Looked at the video and by the 43 second mark I should be getting a signal from the keyboard regardless of inserting a virtual instrument (and I didn't).
OK, so you don't get any meter movement at all, right?

Quote:
I inserted a V/I on a new track and the only change in the three settings was it populated to all midi inputs/all channels (rather than the Focusrite midi I had previous. But I went ahead and chose the Reasynth.
Looks good so far.

Quote:
I do appreciate this must be frustrating for the forum and thanks for all the guidance.
No worries. That's what the Reaper Forum is here for

Let's try this next:

1) Save your current project and close Reaper
2) Close any other applications, so that nothing else is running (when launching Reaper again)
3) Launch Reaper again

If this doesn't solve the problem, we will investigate further ...
Old 08-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Wino Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
OK, so you don't get any meter movement at all, right?

Looks good so far.

No worries. That's what the Reaper Forum is here for

Let's try this next:

1) Save your current project and close Reaper
2) Close any other applications, so that nothing else is running in the background
3) Launch Reaper again

If this doesn't solve the problem, we will investigate further ...
Only thing running is this forum and reaper - no change
nope no movement at all
Old 08-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
solger

Quote:
Only thing running is this forum and reaper - no change
As Bri1 mentioned, some web browsers (like Chrome, etc.) can cause problems by blocking Audio and/or MIDI.
So try to close the browser temporarily, as well, before starting Reaper, just in case.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Wino Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
As Bri1 mentioned, some web browsers (like Chrome, etc.) can cause problems by blocking Audio and/or MIDI.
So try to close the browser temporarily, as well, before starting Reaper, just in case.
I'm running Monzilla Firefox. closed everything out. no change
Old 08-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
solger

Quote:
I'm running Monzilla Firefox. closed everything out. no change
OK. Then it's probably best, if you can post Screenshots of the following things (so we can check if the settings are looking OK):

- Preferences > Audio > Device
- Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices
- Track Panel or Settings in the Track

Info about attaching Screenshots to a post can be found here (post #2): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
For making Screenshots in Windows 10, you can also use the Snipping Tool: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows...snipping-tool/

Last edited by solger; 08-27-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Wino Bob

see if this attachment works
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper forum snips.zip (112.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
alanofoz

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
After @(&*# years...
G'day Bob, I see you've accidentally held down the shift key when you typed your age, so I've fixed it for ya.

Congratulations on reaching 29783 years of age!!

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
Wino Bob

[
Congratulations on reaching 29783 years of age!![/QUOTE]

hahahahahaha - wait . . . I feel like I'm 29783 years old . .

thanks
Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #18
kstn

Just in case

With some midi keyboards (or synts used as midi keyboard) you need turn on the synth/midi keyboard first, (may be wait some time - optional), and then and only then run DAW (Reaper). I have this with focusrite saffire pro 10 and an old ensoniq synth.
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 AM   #19
solger

Quote:
see if this attachment works
Thanks.

The Audio and MIDI Preferences seem OK, so far.
And since you mentioned in a previous post that the MIDI led on the Focusrite is lighting up, that should mean that at least MIDI input is getting into the Focusrite.

But just in case: on the Casio itself, is the Chord/MIDI selector set to MIDI?

I assume Track 3 'ReaSynth' in the Screenshot has Reasynth loaded. And since the Monitor Input button is already enabled on this Track:
Also enable the Track Record Arm Button (little red circle) on this Track and see if it's working then ...

Last edited by solger; 08-28-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #20
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstn View Post
With some midi keyboards (or synts used as midi keyboard) you need turn on the synth/midi keyboard first, (may be wait some time - optional), and then and only then run DAW (Reaper).
I have this with focusrite saffire pro 10 and an old ensoniq synth.
Have you tried using the [Reset all MIDI devices] button in the MIDI device preferences?: www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5gLZZ_otG8

You can also assign a Shortcut to the corresponding Action 'Reset all MIDI devices' in the Action List.

Last edited by solger; 08-28-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Wino Bob

solger

But just in case: on the Casio itself, is the Chord/MIDI selector set to MIDI?

Yes, the selector is set to midi

I assume Track 3 'ReaSynth' in the Screenshot has Reasynth loaded. And since the Monitor Input button is already enabled on this Track:
Also enable the Track Record Arm Button (little red circle) on this Track and see if it's working then ...[/QUOTE]

Arming the track doesn't help
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #22
Wino Bob

With some midi keyboards (or synts used as midi keyboard) you need turn on the synth/midi keyboard first, (may be wait some time - optional), and then and only then run DAW (Reaper). I have this with focusrite saffire pro 10 and an old ensoniq synth.

gave this a shot - no change
Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #23
Wino Bob

SUCCESS!!!!! (sorry, didn't mean to yell) For some unknown reason, it's working! I would love to know what it was, but I'll take it.
Thanks everyone you've been great support. I will defiantly be back when/if there are questions and concerns - THANKS AGAIN (oops)
Old 08-29-2017, 04:45 AM   #24
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
SUCCESS!!!!!
This is what I love to see^.Results.
Well done.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #25
solger

Quote:
SUCCESS!!!!! (sorry, didn't mean to yell) For some unknown reason, it's working!
Great to hear that it's working now
Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #26
martifingers

I have been following this like a soap opera hoping you would get a result!
Welcome to REAPER-land!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
Wino Bob

Hi everyone, thought you might like an update. I believe I've found the way to make this work although I'm not smart enough to know why . .
maybe this will help someone else

It seems that in order to get midi to work, I have to restart my computer for every session. It doesn't matter if the keyboard is on first or not, the computer needs 'toggled' off/on even between songs.

That is if I'm in one song, and get to a stopping place and want to open another session/project, I have to restart the computer . . . this is sooooo goofy. Anyone else have this situation? Do we think this may have anything to do with how thing are connected, or do we think it would be computer parameters?

Anyway - it's working I shouldn't complain - if you have the 4th off work - enjoy!! and thanks again.
WB
Old 09-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #28
kstn

Not sure, but seems that this is pc trouble.

Ideally I would take any other device with midi output, plug it in focusrite and look at the results. Just to make sure. Or check your setup (focusrite + midi keyboard + reaper) on another pc (even Atom netbook is suitable). Or plug your midi not in the focusrite but in smth another like separate USB-midi adapter.

BTW Did you try solger's trick with [Reset all MIDI devices]?
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote