Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default v5.0pre21 - March 29 2015

v5.0pre21 - March 29 2015
# Envelope actions to increase/decrease envelope points by a small amount now uses 1dB for volume envelopes
# Envelopes: dB-centric editing of volume envelopes (0.2dB normal, 0.1dB on fine)
# Envelopes: moving points/segments shows relative adjustment tooltip
# Faders: allow +0dB as a maximum fader limit
# Media item properties: fixed undocked window position restoring
# Project Bay: improved JSFX title vs filename support
# ReaControlMIDI: UI fixes/optimizations
# ReaControlMIDI: fixed pitch automation
# Transport: doubleclicking time display opens jump-to-time window
# Volume envelopes: added +12dB, +24dB as options for envelope max display
# r5 theme support: fixed grid-through-inline-midi-editor for v5 themes [p=1502257]
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
airon

Thank you for the envelope editing improvements. This is what I needed to make envelope editing work better.

Precise editing. Envelope display of +12 dB values is possible.(Preferences/Editing Behavior/Envelope Display) Great stuff.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Hooray! Thank you, thank you!

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Coachz

Nice work there devs!
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

Although I beat you to it Airon, http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=157986

I prefer yours with bold highlights so mods, feel free to delete mine! lol

EDIT: actually, we are both on the same minute I think so let's keep your one!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Superfly76

Love all the envelope attention!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Is it me or does the +24 option only actually go to 18dB?

Also, how likely is this to break old projects? are all the linear/log conversions handled?

I'll give it a test too but just wondered if there are any obvious caveats?

EDIT: also if you change fader scaling and have 2 points of different levels interpolated by a curved line (rather than a straight one) then the changing between fader scales effects the volume but I have a feeling that's warned against right and not an issue so all good?

The item volume envelope going up to 24dB is going to be so epically useful devs, thanks!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
heda

just installed over pre20. no setting changed. Created a track and a volume envelope. by default it is at amplitude scaling. And it moves very strangely. That's the first thing I've noticed. It moves faster than my mouse cursor. I don't know if this is the intended behaviour. I cannot add a point and move it vertically. Pressing shift and clicking on the envelope to add a point while moving the mouse cursor to position it. before releasing mouse button. Doesn't work, the point is fixed at 0. It only moves horizontally at 0. wait I cannot even move any point that is at 0.00db... what is going on!?????? good night.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Sexan

Awesome pre!!!!!!

I hope some zooming love on Envelope tracks will come too.

edit: More like Focus on envelope track than zooming.So wen we zoom the focus is on selected envelope track rather than TCP

Last edited by Sexan; 03-30-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Mercado_Negro

Quick bug report: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=323

heda reported this above as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
It moves faster than my mouse cursor.
That's because it's moving by 0.20dB and the mouse just moves faster or slower depending on your drag (it's like when you're moving it in fine mode). Maybe this could be tweaked by devs to make the mouse cursor move accordingly. It doesn't bother me to be honest.

Oh, I forgot to say: these improvements are sooooo great! Editing envelopes is way more awesome now! Thanks! May I push my luck and kindly ask for multiple lanes edition? You know, select points on several lanes at once and awesome stuff like that I know, I know, one step at a time
Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
nofish

Yeah, this new envelope editing is great, no more vertical zooming in.
Thank you devs.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
[p=1502257][/INDENT]
Jump to region by name still broken.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=151047
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #14
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's because it's moving by 0.20dB and the mouse just moves faster or slower depending on your drag (it's like when you're moving it in fine mode). Maybe this could be tweaked by devs to make the mouse cursor move accordingly. It doesn't bother me to be honest.

Oh, I forgot to say: these improvements are sooooo great! Editing envelopes is way more awesome now! Thanks! May I push my luck and kindly ask for multiple lanes edition? You know, select points on several lanes at once and awesome stuff like that I know, I know, one step at a time
That might take something to let people select a range instead of just single points, across envelopes lanes. SHIFT+drag in the envelope lane to add to a selection. Fun stuff.

Any other way to do this well ? Just marqueeing points might not be good enough, because you might select stuff in an envelope lane you did not want to select, or you select too little. Range selection works better no ?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
Susan G

I'm getting regular errors now with RealGuitar:

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 4.9.9.31, time stamp: 0x55185eeb
Faulting module name: RealGuitarView.dll, version: 3.1.0.7127, time stamp: 0x544142b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cd61
Faulting process id: 0xd00
Faulting application start time: 0x01d06aa56b0add94
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: D:\VST Plugins\MusicLab\x64\RealGuitar 3\RealGuitarView.dll
Report Id: d8be4260-d69b-11e4-bfdd-e8039adcf776
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is with a simple test project with one instance of RealGuitar. The only thing I added was an instance of Addictive Keys.dll, and since then, REAPER keeps crashing. I'll try again after eliminating Addictive Keys.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
Claudiohbsantos

I am Noticing something weird with the behavior of Toggle Framerate Grid and the View:Move cursor right/left to grid division

With the Framerate Grid enabled the actions move the cursor by different ammounts depending on the zoom level. So you only actually move one frame (grid division) if you are zoomed in enough to see the grid division on screen.

I had just noticed the same behavior with the pre20. I am sure on 4.77 it behaves as expected (one frame movements no matter which zoom level)

Anyone else getting this?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #17
EvilDragon

In the new "FX Parameters" Project Bay tab, plugin names are still truncated by one character at the end. Anything over 7 characters gets truncated, it seems.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #18
avoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Is it me or does the +24 option only actually go to 18dB?
This seems to be the case here too.
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #19
gofer
-blänk-

I like the new envelope mouse editing, but wouldn't it be better to hide the mouse cursor while dragging up/down (like it's done with fine edit on volume faders)?

It would a) make it feel less disconnected, b) avoid the tooltip movement and c) avoid having to re-click the point when the window border is reached but you need to drag some more.

Tooltip issues:
The tooltip seems to be bound to single track heights. It doesn't show properly when the mouse cursor is above a track that's less high than the tooltip frame and it doesn't follow the mouse to an empty track area

Note that you don't even get a proper tooltip if the envelope is displayed on a minimized track lane.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:20 AM   #20
Sexan

Yeah that would be cool I was just thinking about hiding the mouse cursor when editing envelope and tooltip to stay at the selected envelope position
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 AM   #21
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Strange, OK here ... Windows 32 bit version.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #22
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
here too x64.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 AM   #23
Reaktor:[Dave]

Thank you for the envelope improvements.

While the visual representation is true due to the "fine range" above +0dB with amplitude scaling active, it looks irritating and takes away the possibility to instantly know the curve type used between these two points. I'd prefer to have one linear/faststart/fastend/bezier connection between two points. If I want to know exact values, I'd have to hover the envelope, anyway.

I experience a bug when vertically moving the envelope gets stuck at 0dB. Volume envelope range is at -inf...+24dB. When moving an envelope point (directly click and drag the point) from above +0dB down to something below 0dB the point will get stuck at 0dB and cannot be changed by mouse movements (amplitude scaling active). You have to delete it or move the point indirectly (by moving envelope segments or something like that).

Confirming that -inf...+24dB actually goes only to +18dB.

Gofer's suggestion to hide the mouse cursor while dragging up/down is great and adds more consistent behaviour to the new features.
Related to that, I have the same issue when using the "hand scroll" tool: I want to scroll further down/up but the mouse cursor has already hit the border of my screen so I have to release and start over again or wait until the slow automatic border scroll is where I wanted to go ... I think, it would make sense to hide the cursor here, too, or at least still translate the mouse movements to scroll movements (even if the mouse cursor itself doesn't move anymore) to as this movement should be entirely based on how the mouse movement is.

While working at envelope points, wouldn't be now the time to add a behaviour to create, edit and move several envelope points across multiple lanes at once?

RealGuitar 3.1 vst2/3 working fine here (x64).

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 03-30-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:35 AM   #24
Soli Deo Gloria

I can also confirm here (Win 7 x64) that envelope points don´t seem to move vertically as stated by Mercado Negro and that the +24dB option only gets to +18dB here too...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 AM   #25
gofer
-blänk-

Limited to 18dB here, too (win8 x64), but I can move points vertically just fine.

I see an issue with switching between fine point movement back to normal while dragging:

- Grab a volume envelope point with the "fine adjust" (0,1dB) modifier.
- While still dragging switch to "normal" (0,2dB) adjustment mode.
Result: The values do change in 0,2dB steps as expected, but the relation between mouse movement vs value change keeps the same ratio as in fine adjustment.
Expected: Ratio between mouse movement vs value change goes back to how it is in "normal" mode.

In other words I now still need to drag the same distance as in fine adjust mode - which is much larger than in normal mode - just the values are restricted to 0,2 dB steps.

Also: Fine adjust seems to only work properly on track volume envelopes. On other envelope types the values are restricted to the same steps as in normal mode, only the mouse distance to get to these values is larger. EG, using ReaControlMIDI, I still can't dial in all 128 values without raising the envelope lane's height. I get exactly the same values as in normal mode, but have to move the mouse much farther. Doesn't seem to make much sense to switch to "fine" then or does it?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Now that envelopes are getting some attention, can I ask why, if I have the fader scaling envelope mode enabled, do I have the middle of the envelope lane grid with a different gridline color? Shouldn't that line move wherever 0.0 dB is? (Answer - yes, of course it should!)

Another important thing - now that we get fine snapping for volume envelope points in 0.2 or 0.1 dB steps, how about doing the same thing with track faders, please? It annoys me to no end how they don't snap to any particular dB unit or subdivision (I suggest 0.1 dB for normal and 0.01 dB for fine mode - perhaps envelopes should follow the same, instead of 0.2/0.1 dB!). This will make them so much easier to use.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #27
FnA

Volume envelope point will move for me until it touches 0. Then it gets stuck vertically. Win7 64.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #28
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Limited to 18dB here, too (win8 x64), but I can move points vertically just fine.
Can you move the points also with amplitude scaling activated? Try moving the from the bottom to the top several times.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #29
gofer
-blänk-

I confirm volume envelope points getting stuck at 0dB when in "Amplitude scaling" mode. Works fine in "Fader scaling" mode.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 AM   #30
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Volume envelope point will move for me until it touches 0. Then it gets stuck vertically. Win7 64.
Exactly that! They don`t seem to move anymore when they reach 0...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #31
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I like the new envelope mouse editing, but wouldn't it be better to hide the mouse cursor while dragging up/down (like it's done with fine edit on volume faders)?

It would a) make it feel less disconnected, b) avoid the tooltip movement and c) avoid having to re-click the point when the window border is reached but you need to drag some more.
You explained this better than I would have. I'm saying the same thing below. :P

The mouse cursor only gets in the way. Is it possible to have the translate the movement of the mouse to envelope point movement in the same fashion as is happening now, but to not limit the movement range to where the mouse cursor could travel ?

It seems a good thing to have the mouse cursor reappear at the envelope point(s) one was editing when the mouse button is let go. The tooltip would appear where the mouse cursor was, but out of the way of any envelope points.

Is that all possible ?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 AM   #32
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Another important thing - now that we get fine snapping for volume envelope points in 0.2 or 0.1 dB steps, how about doing the same thing with track faders, please? It annoys me to no end how they don't snap to any particular dB unit or subdivision (I suggest 0.1 dB for normal and 0.01 dB for fine mode - perhaps envelopes should follow the same, instead of 0.2/0.1 dB!). This will make them so much easier to use.
Anyone up for this?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #33
FnA

Quote:
Anyone up for this?
Sure.

Some guys were posting lately about how "fine" mode (Control drag) for faders is actually the more useful mode. And how it would be nice to have that on straight left drag. I tend to agree.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #34
heda

Quote:
Anyone up for this?
yes. it would make sense to keep consistency between volume faders and envelopes.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #35
pyercoffin

Thanks for another cool release!
I have two little things on this end.

. The Track name box (on the left) doesn't scale anymore in Reaper 5 default theme. Which makes it tricky for long names.
http://www.pyercoffin.com/Reaper/TrackName.gif
. Generating peaks for Quicktime takes wayyyy longer than in Reaper 4. It's really a killer for long videos.

That's it for me
pyercoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #36
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Sure.

Some guys were posting lately about how "fine" mode (Control drag) for faders is actually the more useful mode. And how it would be nice to have that on straight left drag. I tend to agree.
I agree with having a "finer" mode being the default for faders. If this is not possible, please consider making it optional.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #37
airon

Quote:
Anyone up for this?
Yeah. Consistency is good.

Same mouse travel -> same gain change.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #38
heda

I am used to change the faders with the mousewheel to have more precision on how many steps I am changing the value.
I was sad seeing that the default was changed in REAPER 5 to avoid using the mousewheel on TCP faders and controls. But at least is an option
If this is improved somehow then I would stop using mousewheel for faders.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #39
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiohbsantos View Post
I am Noticing something weird with the behavior of Toggle Framerate Grid and the View:Move cursor right/left to grid division

With the Framerate Grid enabled the actions move the cursor by different ammounts depending on the zoom level. So you only actually move one frame (grid division) if you are zoomed in enough to see the grid division on screen.

I had just noticed the same behavior with the pre20. I am sure on 4.77 it behaves as expected (one frame movements no matter which zoom level)

Anyone else getting this?
Yep, I noticed this a few months ago when the first v5 pres were being released, I posted about it in the bug thread (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=102), but I think it got lost amonng all the other bugs that we're being reported. Thanks for bringing it up again, hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

P.S
Hi Claudio! really glad to see you're still using Reaper.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #40
WyattRice

I can also confirm that the envelopes won't move vertically.

I use pre fx envelopes all the time, and when making a time selection, if I try to move the segment that automatically creates 4 points (set in the mouse modifiers), won't move now.

I really like the new volume dB steps. Wish they could be user definable (optional).
As already mentioned, I wish we could also have the same for track volume as described in this thread.