Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer Model D

And it's here folks ... feast your eyes on this.

For $300 you get a nice analogue synth to play around with.

In case you missed it, this is the "knock off" by Behringer of Moog's legendary mini. That said, and despite its price tag, it is anything but cheap at least in touch and feel. Solid build, nice knobs. I can't comment on the sound quality as I'm a total and utter noob when it comes to analogue synths, this is my first dip in the pool.

Hooyah.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
_Stevie_

Congrats dude! I heard nothing but praise for this synth. I was thinking of getting this little baby as well. But then again, I already got a Moog Sub 37 and thought it would be better to go for something completely different... We will see. Have a lot of fun with this little fella
Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Rangler

I got mine last week. I want another. Even debating selling my big DotCom modular.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Nice score Peter! Behringer is making some very nice gear these days and they have announced quite a few more synths. I've been in touch with Uli personally regarding some of this and am very encouraged by what they are doing and planning.

I'll be purchasing one of their VC340s once they're released. The VC340 is an excellent clone of one of my favourite Roland instruments, the VP330 vocoder/choir/string machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I got mine last week. I want another. Even debating selling my big DotCom modular.
Don't sell any of your dotcom before contacting me please!!!
I've just started building mine and would be very interested in buying some of your modules.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Congrats dude! I heard nothing but praise for this synth. I was thinking of getting this little baby as well. But then again, I already got a Moog Sub 37 and thought it would be better to go for something completely different... We will see. Have a lot of fun with this little fella
Thanks! First thing I need are some midi cables so I can hook it up to my midi keyboard -- apparently it doesn't generate any sound without external input! I am learning new stuff every day.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Nice score Peter! Behringer is making some very nice gear these days and they have announced quite a few more synths. I've been in touch with Uli personally regarding some of this and am very encouraged by what they are doing and planning.

I'll be purchasing one of their VC340s once they're released. The VC340 is an excellent clone of one of my favourite Roland instruments, the VP330 vocoder/choir/string machine.

Yes - I am complete noob to hardware synths but the feel and touch are really nice, not plasticky or cheap at all, solid knobs. I am not really into synths but at this price level it's fun to experiment a bit with it.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Thanks! First thing I need are some midi cables so I can hook it up to my midi keyboard -- apparently it doesn't generate any sound without external input! I am learning new stuff every day.
Not necessarily! An USB-cable will do as well, in case you want to connect it with your DAW anyways! But be aware, that only MIDI is transmitted over USB. You still have to connect it via audio cables.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Not necessarily! An USB-cable will do as well, in case you want to connect it with your DAW anyways! But be aware, that only MIDI is transmitted over USB. You still have to connect it via audio cables.

Yeah, I got the audio output connected with my system through a balanced cable - that part is down.

The cables I am missing are

(a) midi to midi cable from Akai midi controller (or Roland midi keyboard) to Model D
(b) USB to USB cable to hook it up to my DAW

Those are coming in tomorrow -- as well powered USB hub (too many cables / devices), and, completely unrelated, an UPS (uninterrupted power system) so even if the power goes down - as it did two days ago - I won't be totally fucked.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:07 AM   #9
Dannii

Quote:
Yes - I am complete noob to hardware synths but the feel and touch are really nice, not plasticky or cheap at all, solid knobs. I am not really into synths but at this price level it's fun to experiment a bit with it.
Beware! The rabbit hole is deep and this stuff is addictive!! I discovered that when I started on my analog synth journey in 1984 with a Roland Juno 6, a Studiomaster four track and an Akai two track 1/4" open reel deck.....

....I'm still collecting and using synths as the core of my studio nearly 35 years later (and I still have and use regularly a Juno 6).

Enjoy the journey!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Beware! The rabbit hole is deep and this stuff is addictive!! I discovered that when I started on my analog synth journey in 1984 with a Roland Juno 6, a Studiomaster four track and an Akai two track 1/4" open reel deck.....

....I'm still collecting and using synths as the core of my studio nearly 35 years later (and I still have and use regularly a Juno 6).

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks!

I'm at core an orchestral guy, I doubt I will get much further beyond this unit ... if only because I don't have the space, lol. I did get the cables yesterday though and figuring out a technical glitch (tip: the Akai MPK 25 does not output midi through the 5 pin connector when the USB cable is connected to a computer, unless is powered by an external DC adapter) I got to futz around a little with the various knobs for oscillators, filters, delay, etc.

It's a lot of fun, and a good opportunity for me to truly dive into synthesis with a pure analogue machine.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Swap your dot com with my deepmind 12 !!
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Dannii

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm at core an orchestral guy, I doubt I will get much further beyond this unit ... if only because I don't have the space, lol. I did get the cables yesterday though and figuring out a technical glitch (tip: the Akai MPK 25 does not output midi through the 5 pin connector when the USB cable is connected to a computer, unless is powered by an external DC adapter) I got to futz around a little with the various knobs for oscillators, filters, delay, etc.

It's a lot of fun, and a good opportunity for me to truly dive into synthesis with a pure analogue machine.
You'll probably appreciate this little video if you haven't seen it already. Hanz Zimmer makes a great statement about his choice between a car and a Moog near the end of the clip.
I can now relate to that one first hand. I sold my car to purchase a Moog Voyager. The Moog is much more exciting!!!