Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Billoon
Human being with feelings

Default Record output bug?

edit: There is a timing variation when using Record output(stereo, latency compensated) as compared to the midi recording, sometimes its a bit early, sometimes a bit late.

[IMG]http://img156.**************/img156/3307/roslcie3.png[/IMG]

I setup a track with Reasamp. and duplicated it...recorded the midi on the first and the output on the second. Then rendered the midi to stem and dropped the original sample on a track.

The midi/stem tracks are accurate but the recorded output is early in this case.

I tried record output(not latency compensated) but that was way later than the other two methods.

edit: This probably should have gone in the nitpick section as its only a few samples.....doh.

Curious though that if i route output of the VSTi track to a new track and record its output as i play, it comes out even earlier.

Last edited by Billoon; 01-27-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: edited for accuracy...
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post
Record output(stereo, latency compensated)
that's the WRONG option in this case! "latency compensated" means the latency reported by the asio-driver for external inputs or the manual offset.

don't mix it up with pdc. pdc is always enabled. so you just have to use "Record output (stereo)" in this case (when recording stuff internally in reaper)!

@justin: you really should give those options a different name. too many people get confused by it!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Billoon

Isnt PDC disabled on record armed tracks and i did mention in my OP that i tried the non-LC option and there was a greater discrepancy between the recorded midi and the recorded audio in that case...so what is actually confusing me is why the LC option is closer to the midi output than the non-LC option.

Heres a pic of the same situation but using the non-LC record output option...as you can see the difference is 1048 samples late as oppased to 8 samples early when using the LC option.

[IMG]http://img168.**************/img168/3496/ronlcnk2.png[/IMG]

So if the LC option is the wrong one, why is it apparently more accurate?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Dstruct

mmh, you also can confuse people by not explaining the pictures properly/completely.

WHAT recorded output is late? If you record midi, you should select "Record Output (Midi)" ...

Seems to work fine here.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
mmh, you also can confuse people by not explaining the pictures properly/completely.
OK. Sorry for not being clear. Its the recorded audio output that is late in post two(when using the non-LC option).

In post one...

tk1 is the recorded midi input, this track has ReaSamp loaded.

tk2 has the sample that was loaded in ReaSamp lined up with the first midi note.

tk3 is rendered stem of tk1.

tk4 is the same as tk1 except i recorded the audio output of the track using record output(stereo, latency compensated).

In post two...i did the same thing except tk1 has the recorded output using the non-LC record output(stereo) option.

Ive a attached a project file if you want to try it. Hit record and play a few midi notes, then render the midi track to stem and see if it lines up with the recorded audio.

Ive done it a few times and the LC one is always closest to the midi stem...but each time i do it there is a variation (+ and -) in timing.

What i would like to know is which one is the most accurate...the midi recording or the audio recording(LC)?
Attached Files
File Type: zip rob.zip (104.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Dstruct

Ok, now one can understand it

I don't have this Reasamp plugin installed, so I've tested it with my Surge VSTi (with the OSC set to retrigger to get exact phase start). See the attached screesnhot. It's sampleaccurate here. Looks like this must be a problem of Reasamp?

Last edited by Dstruct; 02-25-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Billoon

OK. Thanks for checking.

Im not using any midi offset and ill try it with another plug.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Dstruct

yeah, i think the midi offset (for midi outputs) doesn't has to do anything with it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Billoon

OK. Tried a few other VSTis(including Shortcircuit). In every case the record output(stereo, latency compensated) option is closer(but not sample accurate) to the stem.

The non-LC option is always noticably later(double notes heard).

Im downloading the Surge demo now to see what happens there.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Dstruct

Quote:
OK. Tried a few other VSTis(including Shortcircuit). In every case the record output(stereo, latency compensated) option is closer(but not sample accurate) to the stem.

The non-LC option is always noticably later(double notes heard).
I don't know what you're doing. Just tested with Shortcircuit (1.1.2) -> fine. Recorded (non LC) output is sampleaccurate to the rendered stem.

Really not a single problem here.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Billoon

Hmm, i wonder if this is system specific. Im using a M-Audio keyboard connected with a USB cable and an M-Audio card.

Hopefully a few others will try the project i posted.

Tried Surge demo...same thing. LC is either a little early or a little late and non-lc is always very late.

If this is just a setting or something, id love to work out what it is.

Dandruff...if you use the LC option is, is the recorded audio a lot earlier than the stem?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Dstruct

Quote:
Dandruff...if you use the LC option is, is the recorded audio a lot earlier than the stem?
no, not a lot. 591 samples earlier to be exact (with "use audio driver reported latency" enabled + manual input offset of "-90 samples")

Quote:
Hmm, i wonder if this is system specific. Im using a M-Audio keyboard connected with a USB cable and an M-Audio card.
i doubt that this is caused by certain hardware, because you record the stuff internally in reaper with the "record output" modes.

Last edited by Dstruct; 01-27-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Billoon

Thanks for testing.

Tried using an ESI Julia(that has midi input),...same result.

Hopefully someone can suggest a way to fix this. Id love to get this working properly.

Would be great if a few other people tried this.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Dstruct

what has the midi-input to to with it?

in my tests i didn't record any midi-notes from my keyboard. i've just drawed in the midi-notes with my mouse into an empty item ...

Last edited by Dstruct; 01-27-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
what has the midi-input to to with it?

in my tests i didn't record any midi-notes from my keyboard. i've just drawed in the midi-notes with my mouse into an empty item ...
Ahh, well try record from the keyboard and see if they line up then. Thats what im doing.

Personally, id rather just capture the original performance as audio (to save the time rendering to stem and cause some synths sound slightly different when you render them).

But if recording the midi then rendering to stem is going to be a more accurate representation of the original performance(timing wise)...ill do that.

The biggest variation ive got so far is about 60 samples, so its not that big a deal...but id still rather know which one is most accurate.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Dstruct

Quote:
Ahh, well try record from the keyboard and see if they line up then. Thats what im doing.

yeah, know i got it. you've recorded the midi and the audio from the vsti both at the same time.

yes, in this case the recorded (non-lc) audio is late here (576 samples) too.

might be a bug!? justin?

Quote:
But if recording the midi then rendering to stem is going to be a more accurate representation of the original performance(timing wise)...ill do that.

yeah, that's how you should do it (at least for the moment).
Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #17
Billoon

Whew, we got there in the end.

Thanks for confirming, Dandruff. Hopefully Justin will take a look sometime.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
Dstruct

justin? is this a limitation of the engine or a bug?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
Oxytoxine

are there any news on this?

not to be too expectant/barefaced, but this really should get some attention (or clarification - maybe there is a fundamental misunderstanding and there's an easy solution)

thanks!
Oxytoxine is offline   Reply With Quote