Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
prom
Human being with feelings

Default Soundchecking ambient dronescape with software acoustic percussion

https://soundcloud.com/sdow/2ndtransport (*edit - track is offline)

Through your monitors?
BFD 3 is scratch engineered but using a Ludwig Black Oyster 402 Supraphonic snare from BFD 2 (patterns are stock grooves from BFD 2)
Any thoughts most welcome.

Last edited by prom; 08-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
synkrotron

Hiya prom,

Just finished listening to 2ndTransport.

Soundscape sounds good... I love using Metaphysical Function... A great sound design tool

I wasn't sure what to expect, regarding the percussion. For something that would have worked well without percussion I wasn't sure what it would bring to the party, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It is low enough in the mix not to be over-powering and therefore adds to the soundscape instead of destroying it.

Oh, yes, listening through my not so great Tannoy Reveal nearfield monitors. Sounded okay to me, although my ears are totally fecked now (too much Heavy Metal) so they cannot be trusted...

cheers

andy
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
zeekat

This is much like Third Eye Surfer off Porcupine Tree's Sunday of Life, drones over a mad drum solo. I think SW stole his drums from some old prog album. Yours has more overtones though, kinda overlaps with my tinnitus in places, quite piercing high freqs.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
I love using Metaphysical Function... A great sound design tool
I agree about MF , how lazy is it that I have never gotten around to importing my own sample banks,thus opening up more tailored options.
Thanks for listening Andy (Synkrotron) and I once again appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
This is much like Third Eye Surfer off Porcupine Tree's Sunday of Life, drones over a mad drum solo. I think SW stole his drums from some old prog album. Yours has more overtones though, kinda overlaps with my tinnitus in places, quite piercing high freqs.
I see what you mean about Surfer track...is not something I had listened to before.
Thanks for comment zeekat and I need to check those high frqs you mention because there was no sign of a problem through my cans,but I do remember seeing hf spiking on Span display but ignored it because I could hear nothing that worried me.
"Overlapping with tinnitus" Oh...I have had it bad in the past...I believe an oscillator at low volume cured/neutralized it (but you didn't read about that here ok!) Hahaha don't go injecting your tinnitus with frq spike on my recommendation.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
I have never gotten around to importing my own sample banks,thus opening up more tailored options.
Same here. In fact I don't really intend to. I have enough fun automating all the various parameters in REAPER to make my drone "move."

Here's a screenshot of my Metaphysical Function setup within REAPER:-

If you are interested I have zipped up the REAPER RPP project that I use for this purpose, along with a version of the MF ensemble, although you do not have to use that. I created a preset that just uses the oscillators for drone creation. You can still use the out of the box ensemble if you wish.

I tried creating a track template instead so that I could insert it into an existing project but for some reason the automation lanes do not come across. I could do with sussing out a way around that...

So,unfortunately, for the time being, you have to kick off a new project knowing that you will be using MF.

PM me and I will send you a link for the ZIP file.

Quote:
Thanks for listening Andy (Synkrotron) and I once again appreciate the feedback.
My pleasure

cheers

andy
Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
prom

This is something I never normally get round to doing and so your file example has just opened up a whole new area of recording possibilities for me,I have messed with automation but was always sidetracked by other things and recently almost forgot it could be a part of my workflow.I might well begin using it now, although I will begin with far fewer parameters than in your example I think.
Thanks again Andy,very cool,very helpful!

*note to self - "When saving as track template make sure "Include envelopes in template" is checked in the save window"

Last edited by prom; 08-07-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
although I will begin with far fewer parameters than in your example I think.
I understand and I, too, don't use all of those automations all the time

They are there if I need them

Quote:
*note to self - "When saving as track template make sure "Include envelopes in template" is checked in the save window"
LOL! Yeah, just saw the reply to my topic... I feel a bit of a fool now haha
Old 08-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
prom

Cheers

Last edited by prom; 08-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.