COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
3mph
Human being with feelings

Default Question about routing what you Xmit

Hi.

I am playing live, using a vsti for my kes and drags recycled loops to the tracks in Reaper (playing the loop in a loop section) for drums.

When I need to start a new loop, I create a new track, turn down the volume and drag a rx2-loop to the track. The problem is that I can't hear the loop so I don't know how it will sound. I have to turn up the volume a little bit to get an idea of what I've selected, and if it's suitable I slowly turn up the volume (and turn down the volume on the other loop). If it is not suitable I turn down the volume, delete the loop and try a new one. All this in done on-the-fly while playing keys and sometimes singing. The hazzle with the loops distracts a lot and I end up playing silly notes and singing strange things.

I would like to have an easy way to chooes whether the track sends to reaNINJAM or not. My brain can't go further than placing reaNINJAM on a track, and then make new tracks and select which track the send to. That includes opening the IO-window, clicking and reading. That's even more distractive than the other solution.

Is there a way where I can do the with one click? Maybe with "actions"?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
pljones

There's an "XMIT" checkbox against each local channel in the ReaNINJAM window. Uncheck this before you start using the channel. Set up Reaper. You'll hear the channel locally but -- as it's not transmitting -- you won't disturb anyone.

Do remember to turn in on when you're ready, though...
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
3mph

That's a very good idea! But this would require is IO-edting as well, wouldn't it? I mean, when creating the channels in NINJAM, the need to be set to the right in/output, and each track needs to be routed to the correct channel too.. or am I missing something.

Besides, I've experimented with multiple channels in NINJAM before, and I've experienced that it's heavy on my CPU too which then results in wierd things happening besides the sudden silence (lag) and craks/pops (and the ogg-end-stream thing).

But yeah.. I guess I could make jams more versatile but having my "manual instruments" (keys and vox) on a seperate channel :-)
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
AndyMc

Thou could seteth up thy multiple outputs, as though may have multiple outs in thy card. Iffeth this to be, then thou change routing to outeth on stereo pairs of 3/4 and noteth 1 and 2. This is for sure a joy to behold or to be unfolded.

Though can also set thy Reaper Track to Thy Monitor only to noteth send to NINJAM.

May the Lords of NINJAM be with you.

Andy Mcieth...

Last edited by AndyMc; 12-18-2008 at 07:08 PM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #5
3mph

Haha, I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but I guess you're suggesting that I route things out my physical outbputs.

I like this suggestion, but it would require that I hook up my outputs to a mixer, and THEN do some on-the-fly IO editing :-)

Well, I guess the best thing to do is to have a basic setup with a bunch of tracks routed correctly.

It is in situations like this I wish I was fitted with 2 brains and 3 arms.

I guess it's very hard to operate a computer while singing and playing. For a decade I earned my living being a wedding-singer in a duo with me on keyboard, and I could do all sorts of things while singing/playing, like setting up new instruments/fx, adjust levels/fx on the mixer and all that PLUS dance in a sexy way :-)
Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
AndyMc

Ok so here's how too,

Create 2 Tracks, one will be a ghost track which you could name something like:
GrooveAgent 2
GrooveAgent 2 Ghost

On Track 1 click IO and untick Master/Parent Send, now click add new send and select 2: (track 2), this will setup a send on track 1 and a recieve on track 2.
Now click add new Hardware output and select your normal output you use for Reaper.
Now ARM (red R button) and Enable Record Monotoring (Speaker Icon Button next to the In Button) then make sure on the IN Button its set to Record: input.
Thats Track 1 finished.

To Track 2, Click the IO but this time leave Master/Parent Send ticked. You should see the Receive on the right of the IO window which was setup when you made the send on track 1.
Track 2 does not need to be Armed or Monitored.

Ok that's the setup is all done.

How to use:

Mute Ghost Channel to mute to ReaNINJAM.
Also lowering or muting ReaNINJAM Channel will help prevent your levels of your tracks increasing when un-muting the Ghost Tracks.

Maybe in the future we there could be a monitor button in REAPER that allows for routing to any audio out. So we can just click a Monitor Button and it routes to the output we setup, this will be great for mixing on the fly and add further ability to REAPER.

You could shrink the ghost track down as its only purpose is to use the Mute button on it.

Last edited by AndyMc; 12-19-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
3mph

Thanks Andy, that describes how I do things at the moment. When I start Reaper it loads up a project with:

Track 1: NINJAM
Track 2: Keys VSTi's and fx (sends to track 1)
Track 3: Vocal chain -> (sends to track 1)
Track 4-7: Loops -> (sends to track 1)
Track 8-11: Empty tracks -> (sends to track 1)

Now, the cool part is, that if I add a new track (or simply drag a loop-file to an empty space) it will only play locally as it sends to master (by default). The downside is that I have to open IO-window and assign stuff if I want to use it in the jam. But it's most least hazzle-free solution I've come to. I can't seems to find/create any actions that could be used to assign sends and untick master/parent.

I like to fade beats, so I miss a grouping feature that allows sliders to react mathematically to each other (like increasing vol fader on a grouped track would turn down sliders equally on other tracks in the group). At the moment I do it by mouse, demanding that I have the eyes on the screen because I edit two faders at two different tracks and have to place the mouse-pointer correctly. Is it possible to do this automatically?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
AndyMc

I think Reaper supports macro's, not 100% though.

3mph the method above is what you do but you don't need to go in and out of IO, you simply click a mute button on a small track under the main track then this stops it going to ninjam but u can still here it and then there's not loads of extra routing needed.

It effectively puts a small track under each of your other tracks which controls if the main tracks feed to ninjam or not.

Ideally though would be a button that allows muting to ReaNINJAM on the same track as the vsti.