Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #121
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
So what audio interfaces seem to be working well in W8 so far?
firepod works great
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #122
Sibben

Switched during the weekend. Easy peasy install (clean install). Win 8 is really good. Best MS OS ever. Flawless op on HP Elitebook 8460. Tried with Presonus 44VSL and Echo Indigo IOX. Both installed nicely and functions but I have not worked them hard yet.

Last edited by Sibben; 11-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #123
Chris Martins

My TC Electronic SK48 works just fine.
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #124
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
So what audio interfaces seem to be working well in W8 so far?
The only thing to be aware of is firewire devices. Some devices may not cooperate and the same FW device might work fine on one Win8 machine and not another. This problem also existed in Win7 when they completely rewrote the firewire stack. However, its possible a firewire device that worked fine in Win7 may suddenly give problems in Win8 or vice versa.

The main symptom of the above is a sudden ~30ms endless loop of the audio buffer causing the need to close/reopen Reaper. It may not happen for an hour, it might happen 30 seconds after hitting play. To fix that issue you can force install the old legacy driver (you have to copy from a Win7 machine) using the workaround link Klinke posted:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15505

If you have a fireware audio card you still have a great chance of it working fine, however, you may want to make sure you have an easy way back to Win7 if you hit this problem and the workaround isn't acceptable. The workaround requires several steps including disabling signed drivers at boot to allow the old legacy driver to load.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #125
Argle

What's the CPU difference between 7 and 8 in Reaper? Anything?
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #126
Chris Martins

Not that I noticed. Pretty much identical here.
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #127
carbon

Anybody upgraded the bootcamped win 7, does it work?

I ran the compatibility checker - after 30min I just got an error, nothing more.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #128
funkyspacecadet

I'm the author of the thread on the RME site.

For what it's worth, the workaround I posted has been running flawlessly for me. It's a royal pain in the ass to have to reboot with driver signing disabled but at least it works.

I"m not willing to spend more money on a USB interface and I prefer firewire for audio, perhaps when new USB3 interfaces come out I'll migrate to USB.

I'm actually enjoying Windows 8 and I find the performance in Reaper and my plugs about the same, if not faster. I haven't done any benchmarks or anything but I'm getting good latency, stable audio and there are some features in Windows 8 I like, so I'll stick with it.

For those who are using firewire interfaces, please post on my thread, or start your own: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-db158a771e1d

And in addition please nag the vendors of your audio interface to contact Microsoft on your behalf.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping with enough noise (hee hee) we can get Microsoft's attention.
funkyspacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #129
stumpbroke1

Was having trouble installing drivers for my EMU 1212m, but finally was able to get it installed, learned that you have to disable signature enforcement in settings first, turns out they are not signed drivers, seems to be working fine now though.
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #130
dancerchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
hmm no problems with my firepod. working as normal...
Jason: I can't get my drivers to work for my Firepod and Presonus has made a statement that they are incompatible with Win8. Are you using 32bit or 64bit Win8? Are you using the Presonus driver or something else?

I would love to get that ol' thing working in Win8 so any advice you have would be good.

Thanks
dancerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #131
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerchris View Post
Jason: I can't get my drivers to work for my Firepod and Presonus has made a statement that they are incompatible with Win8. Are you using 32bit or 64bit Win8? Are you using the Presonus driver or something else?

I would love to get that ol' thing working in Win8 so any advice you have would be good.

Thanks
Did you see the workaround link above?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #132
dancerchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Did you see the workaround link above?
The one about force installing the legacy drivers (for RME interfaces). Is this what works with the Firepod? I don't have admin access to a 64bit win7 machine to obtain the drivers. I have access to 32 bit XP only. The drivers are imbedded in the installer program so I can't get them otherwise. I was following the chain of posts here and didn't notice Jason's having to do that.

c
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #133
karbomusic

Quote:
The one about force installing the legacy drivers (for RME interfaces). Is this what works with the Firepod? I don't have admin access to a 64bit win7 machine to obtain the drivers. I have access to 32 bit XP only. The drivers are imbedded in the installer program so I can't get them otherwise. I was following the chain of posts here and didn't notice Jason's having to do that.

c
It depends on how it isn't working. If you simly can't install the Firepod's driver then it wouldn't be this issue. If you can install it just fine then it doesn't function properly, well then the link might be of value. The thread is an RME device thread but the workaround is strictly about the firewire 1394 protocol itself regardless of device used.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #134
dancerchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It depends on how it isn't working. If you simly can't install the Firepod's driver then it wouldn't be this issue. If you can install it just fine then it doesn't function properly, well then the link might be of value. The thread is an RME device thread but the workaround is strictly about the firewire 1394 protocol itself regardless of device used.
The drivers won't install. I am going to try turning off the signed drivers requirement mentioned in the link above. However.....

@Jason: I'd still be interested in whether you are running 32 or 64 bit and anything special you did to get your drivers running.

Thanks

c
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #135
dancerchris

Meh.... turning off driver signing didn't help.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #136
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
The drivers won't install. I am going to try turning off the signed drivers requirement mentioned in the link above. However.....

@Jason: I'd still be interested in whether you are running 32 or 64 bit and anything special you did to get your drivers running.

Thanks

c
I am 64 bit all the way and didn't have to do or install anything. I just did an upgrade from my windows 7 install
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #137
dancerchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I am 64 bit all the way and didn't have to do or install anything. I just did an upgrade from my windows 7 install
I did my upgrade from XP 32 bit to Win8 64. Basically a fresh OS, reloading the drivers.

Could be that the Win7 drivers work for 64 bit but the installer doesn't. Will have to find a 64 bit machine to load the drivers on, copy and then do manual install.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #138
karbomusic

Quote:
I did my upgrade from XP 32 bit to Win8 64. Basically a fresh OS, reloading the drivers.
That isn't an upgrade, its a fresh install which would make your scenario different than Jason's.

Quote:

Could be that the Win7 drivers work for 64 bit but the installer doesn't.
We know this because Jason's works and when I asked earlier you said it wouldn't install, soooo.

I downloaded the firebox driver installer (couldn't find the firepod one) and it is nothing more than a zip file that is packed as an exe in order to auto-extract. Take your driver installer file, rename it to driverinstaller.zip instead of driverinstaller.exe. Then just extract the files to a folder. Now go into device manager, update drivers manually and tell it to search in that folder and let me know what happens. Trying to copy from another computer could be problematic since there are 20 or more files in the package (some won't matter since they are only needed by the installer which you are now bypassing).

Make sure file extensions are not hidden before renaming if you are familiar with that concept or you'll end up with driverinstaller.zip.exe instead of driverinstaller.zip which won't actually change anything.

Lastly, I don't think you mentioned the error you are getting. Might help me figure out how to get you around it. Since there are various reasons it could say no, it could also be something as simple as running the installer as admin and/or in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or earlier. I would try the rename trick above first

NOTE: You may still have to force disabled driver signing most likely and possibly boot with unsigned drivers enabled. Wait to see if Windows 8 complains first however.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #139
dancerchris

@karbomusic: Thanks!!!

It appears the main problem is the self extractor. I renamed the driver file from *.exe to *.zip. I then unzipped the contents to a folder and ran the setup.exe from there. (you may have to setup) Worked slick!!! The 64 bit drivers work fine.

Note: I first attempted to just manually load the drivers for the exclamation marked hardware in the "device manager". This didn't work because it didn't load the firepod program and ASIO driver. IF the method above doesn't work try manually loading till all the device drivers first, then run the setup.exe file.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #140
karbomusic

Quote:
@karbomusic: Thanks!!!

It appears the main problem is the self extractor. I renamed the driver file from *.exe to *.zip. I then unzipped the contents to a folder and ran the setup.exe from there. (you may have to setup) Worked slick!!! The 64 bit drivers work fine.

Note: I first attempted to just manually load the drivers for the exclamation marked hardware in the "device manager". This didn't work because it didn't load the firepod program and ASIO driver. IF the method above doesn't work try manually loading till all the device drivers first, then run the setup.exe file.
Glad you got working!

Quote:
you may have to setup
That's very possible.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #141
carbon

A question about "upgrading" from XP to Win8 and switching HDDs.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to Win8 on a self assembled computer, but for now I'd like just to move my XP installation with all the other software to a new drive - SSD.

1. Could I clone my XP HDD contents to the SSD?

2. What software would be best to do that (preferably free)?

3. Would this require me to reauthorize the XP/plugins/programs, as the hardware has changed?

4. Could that drive later be installed to a new computer and then the upgrade to win8 performed there, without any complications from different hardware etc?

5. If the current drive has partitions, can I get rid of them when I perform the upgrade, also will the old windows stay there somewhere, taking up space?

Although upgrade from XP is a so called "clean" install, as I understand the prior OS needs to be present on the disk or the upgrade won't happen.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #142
SiKo

1. Although I never did a full backup/restore with XP, the built-in functionality should be able to create an image and restore that on a new partition/disk.

2 .But there are probably more user friendly versions, that I don't know of.

3. It should be as if your system was never touched... so everything should work...

4. As far as I know, you cannot upgrade from XP. You could just perform the installation of Win8 on that disk (with XP) in the new system, but your files will be moved to c:\Windows.old. It will also mean you have to restore those your self by moving them back to your libraries...

5. When you have 'upgraded' your SSD XP to Win8, you can use the disk manager to delete the partitions you don't need and expand the partitions. (Make 2 partitions from 3 originally on that disk). And if you don't touch your XP partition before installing Win8 on it, Windows.old will contain all the files (document and settings, windows and program files). Folders that do not belong to windows (c:\vstplugs) will just stay where they are...

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
A question about "upgrading" from XP to Win8 and switching HDDs.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to Win8 on a self assembled computer, but for now I'd like just to move my XP installation with all the other software to a new drive - SSD.

1. Could I clone my XP HDD contents to the SSD?

2. What software would be best to do that (preferably free)?

3. Would this require me to reauthorize the XP/plugins/programs, as the hardware has changed?

4. Could that drive later be installed to a new computer and then the upgrade to win8 performed there, without any complications from different hardware etc?

5. If the current drive has partitions, can I get rid of them when I perform the upgrade, also will the old windows stay there somewhere, taking up space?

Although upgrade from XP is a so called "clean" install, as I understand the prior OS needs to be present on the disk or the upgrade won't happen.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #143
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
1. Although I never did a full backup/restore with XP, the built-in functionality should be able to create an image and restore that on a new partition/disk.

2 .But there are probably more user friendly versions, that I don't know of.

3. It should be as if your system was never touched... so everything should work...

4. As far as I know, you cannot upgrade from XP. You could just perform the installation of Win8 on that disk (with XP) in the new system, but your files will be moved to c:\Windows.old. It will also mean you have to restore those your self by moving them back to your libraries...

5. When you have 'upgraded' your SSD XP to Win8, you can use the disk manager to delete the partitions you don't need and expand the partitions. (Make 2 partitions from 3 originally on that disk). And if you don't touch your XP partition before installing Win8 on it, Windows.old will contain all the files (document and settings, windows and program files). Folders that do not belong to windows (c:\vstplugs) will just stay where they are...

HTH
Thanks for the advice!
I've created another thread for the SSD and cloning/backup software question:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...69#post1110169