Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 AM   #81
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Donated! will donate again at a later date too!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #82
musicbynumbers

hmm... Noticed in the config page a "map_count" option I wonder if that's the resolution of the curve.. might try it now..

EDIT. nope, that's not what it does!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-06-2016 at 04:27 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 AM   #83
mpl

Thanks!
I write all the points to ext state like
Quote:
[routing]
<R_CONF_1
1 1 1 3 [match(x,curve)] [0.0 0.0 0.1 0.1 0.2 0.1 0.3 0.2 0.4 0.5 0.5 0.6 0.6 0.7 0.7 0.8 0.8 0.9 0.9 0.9 1.0 1.0 ]
>
(x y pair for each point)
Higher resolution increase this info a lot, I'm afraid this is not good for performance (remember it is per wire). And smooth this seems hard for me, I`m not good at math.

Please don`t touch config (it can make different errors). If you still want to do experiment:
1) find F_GetSet_curve
2) change 10 inside it to 100 (in 4 places)

Last edited by mpl; 01-06-2016 at 04:35 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #84
G-Sun

This is looking very good
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #85
mpl

I made some video about how to use modulation. If someone will makes a tutorial or features overview, I'll be very grateful to him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1ncU2aqxc
Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #86
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Thanks!

Higher resolution increase this info a lot, I'm afraid this is not good for performance (remember it is per wire). And smooth this seems hard for me, I`m not good at math.

Please don`t touch config (it can make different errors). If you still want to do experiment:
1) find F_GetSet_curve
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Wonder if it's possible for me to just increase the vertical resolution a bit? Maybe by 3 or 4 times whilst keeping the amount of horizontals to 10. That would do it and hopefully not affect performance too much?

Is it performance or data storage or both that's the concern and do you think we are talking quite a bit of performance difference if I increase the res by double the amount?

I'll give it a go when I get time.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #87
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I made some video about how to use modulation. If someone will makes a tutorial or features overview, I'll be very grateful to him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1ncU2aqxc
Hopefully this will get shown on the reaper blog youtube channel at some point

Also, love the live DJ set visuals and music on your other youtube video. great stuff!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #88
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thanks!

1) find F_GetSet_curve
Hi MPL,

I did some tests at both 40 points and then 100 points. I modulated 4 of the same effects (a filter cutoff knob) with the cuttoff of the first effect and then changed the curve for all of them to be different.

What I found was that the CPU amount was only high when actually drawing in the curve on the graph.

10, 40 and 100 seemed to take the same amount CPU when all 4 filter knobs were being controlled at the same time (via these translation curves) which is a great result to me

The real issue so far was at a 100 points the mouse didn't refresh enough to "change" all the points unless I moved really slowly. Making the mapper window much bigger helped though

My question then is; can you be more specific about any downsides I might have missed alongside what I've asked below?

1.Will this make the file size a lot bigger (probably not right?)

2. Is there a way for me to increase the mouse samplerate or is that OS based?

It's so cool to be able to draw in your own curves and I'm hoping the only real downside is the CPU use at the time you are drawing them in.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #89
Xenakios

Only recently tested this a bit. It is a very impressive piece of work!

I didn't test that particularly yet, but what does this do when offline rendering audio? I haven't looked at the code how exactly it achieves the parameter linking and didn't test the offline rendering yet. Just asking before I even test, whether offline rendering is even supposed to be supported.

This would be an issue when using automation envelopes. Those seem to work while realtime playing the project, which is impressive, but if the script is doing the parameter linking as I suspect it is, that might be a problem for offline rendering the projects...
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #90
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
2. Is there a way for me to increase the mouse samplerate or is that OS based?
ReaScript has a fixed GUI/mouse update rate determined by Reaper and that can't be changed. Also, if the script is doing something really heavy for each mouse move, that couldn't be helped by bumping up such an update rate anyway. The code just needs to be optimized in some way or better user interaction needs to be "faked".
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #91
mpl

When you draw envelope,there are many caching gui and caching functions processes, so I'm not surprised it takes cpu a lot.
Reaper automatically encode data to base64 and write it to project file, you can check it by yourself in the end of .rpp
Downsides - don't know.
Mouse rate - here Im not sure understood you right.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #92
mpl

Xen, I didn't design it to use for rendering ever. Only for "live" control/experiments. Maybe solution is somehow write automation live? Or online render only (really didn't tested that)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #93
Xenakios

Quote:
Xen, I didn't design it to use for rendering ever. Only for "live" control/experiments. Maybe solution is somehow write automation live? Or online render only (really didn't tested that)
OK, thanks for the confirmation, saved me a couple of moments of time testing it!

Anyway yeah, I can see this as massively useful for "live" kind of stuff. I've in fact been thinking of doing a similar thing myself for years, but never got to doing it. So thanks a lot for your work on this!

edit : I would have donated, but Paypal.me refuses to work for me, apparently because I am from Finland.

Last edited by Xenakios; 01-06-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #94
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Only recently tested this a bit. It is a very impressive piece of work!

I didn't test that particularly yet, but what does this do when offline rendering audio? I haven't looked at the code how exactly it achieves the parameter linking and didn't test the offline rendering yet. Just asking before I even test, whether offline rendering is even supposed to be supported.

This would be an issue when using automation envelopes. Those seem to work while realtime playing the project, which is impressive, but if the script is doing the parameter linking as I suspect it is, that might be a problem for offline rendering the projects...
A solution to this might be what MPL suggested which is to put all tracks into touch mode and just move the one slider which fantastically will put down all automation out as dictated by the curves set on each of them. That's pretty cool!

I haven't tried it in offline myself though, going to try that now just in case it works!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #95
Xenakios

Quote:

I haven't tried it in offline myself though, going to try that now just in case it works!
I think Mpl implied it will not work that way...
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #96
musicbynumbers

Quote:
When you draw envelope,there are many caching gui and caching functions processes, so I'm not surprised it takes cpu a lot.
Reaper automatically encode data to base64 and write it to project file, you can check it by yourself in the end of .rpp
Downsides - don't know.
Mouse rate - here Im not sure understood you right.
It doesn't seem to take much space in the file so I might keep it at around 40 of them. Do you know if it's possible to only increase the vertical resolution here without breaking the code? That would probably be ideal for me. To have vertical at 100 divisions but horizontal at say 10

I'll give it a go!

So far it seems the only downside is the CPU when drawing and then it seems to be fine so that makes me super happy!

Will tell others about this script!

Quote:
ReaScript has a fixed GUI/mouse update rate determined by Reaper and that can't be changed. Also, if the script is doing something really heavy for each mouse move, that couldn't be helped by bumping up such an update rate anyway. The code just needs to be optimized in some way or better user interaction needs to be "faked".
No worries, thanks for letting us know. I'm hoping at some point the GUI side of scripting for these languages will become easier as I've read from you and others that it's not yet and that this script is basically genius for getting this far in this language! (it looks very cool and I love having it open MPL!)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #97
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I think Mpl implied it will not work that way...
Well, I tested anyway just to make sure

What I found was that online rendering is fine and near enough sample accurate (as suggested)

Offline 1x is fine too (as expected)

Full speed offline "kind of" works. There's seems to be a very slow update speed that the linked parameter seems to have to follow.

It appears to only update every 1.5 seconds (regardless of the curve).

If there was an easy to get around this or if this is something that the reaper devs could help with that would make this script even more useful.

I hope there's a way! It would amazing to have these maps set up in subprojects and have them render out fast offline.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #98
J Reverb

Congrats on release mpl !

Request for dummy slider when clicking empty slot.
Request for bypass map buttons on GUI for visual feedback.

Also in fixed learn mode have parameter modulation/link mirror cc in fixed learn settings would be the icing on the cake as then you can record cc data and have it play back instantly, this will also render offline then too. Any thought's ?

Thanks and what a script
Will be donating asap.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #99
musicbynumbers

Dummy slider option would be fantastic.

This way, we can have slider 1 as the dummy (with no plugin connected) and use it to control real ones.

The only issue here is that there would be no way to record down the automation for it.

You might be better off simply using a fake JS plugin that has a fader that does nothing and assigning that to the mapper instead of having the a dummy fader in the mapper?

That way, you can still record the automation.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #100
J Reverb

You could record the dummy slider CC using fixed learn cc setting and link it to parameter modulation, no ? I would love to see if it would work
Fake JS works for now though as you say.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #101
mpl

Quote:
Request for bypass map buttons on GUI for visual feedback.
If FixedLearn on curent map is bypassed:
- related menu item is checked in Map rightclick menu
- green rectangle is not shown on current map from leftside of every slider

Last edited by mpl; 01-08-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #102
musicbynumbers

Done some further testing and I've confirmed.. It's still an amazing script! lol

also..

It's probably a good idea to always use a dummy fader if your plan is to modulate say two parameters linked to each other because there is a slight lag (or "slew") between the fader you are moving and the fader it's controlling.

To get around this you can control BOTH from the same dummy fader. That way the lag/slew is on both the faders as they are being controlled.

On a more fun note. I've just tried abusing the script by parameter modulating the dummy fader with a drum beat and then adding some hand drawn curve graphs in between them (at 100 for Y and 20 for X) and it handles it completely fine!

You can even then record this automation back into reaper. The only downside is that it records into reaper at a slightly lower sample rate than the parameter modulation can do so it can lose some of the fast changes in it.

I'm still hopeful that this might not be a case if the plugs were vst3?

suggestion maybe turn the vertical part of the curve graph up to a 100 and the horizontal to 20 by default. Reason being is that apart from the extra CPU when drawing the curve, it seems to not take up any extra data or CPU after that initial drawing. It also works fine with the mouse drawing rate at that resolution too and allows for proper curves to be easily created with enough resolution to them for use with things like getting accurate pitch so it lines up with another synth etc. No worries if not but I have a feeling others might ask for it and I know that my fellow sound designers will be needing me to tell them about that "hack" you suggested to get the most out of it!

possible bug.. One thing I've noticed though is that the red dot representing the curve position can get confused if for example, you draw in a half circle starting at 0, rising to 0.5 in the middle and then back to 0 at the end. When you do this, the red dot travels to the half point and then comes back down again the same side.

It's totally not a show stopper though and is only visual, doesn't affect the sound,
Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #103
musicbynumbers

Last post for a while I promise (just excited by this script!)

MPL, (or xenakios)
do you think the 1.5 second update rate for rendering offline is a script based bug that can be overcome in the script itself or is it something I should go and beg Justin for as it would really make this script even more amazing!

Also, just donated a bit more again, just because you deserve as much as possible for this! (I don't expect favours, special additions or changes for this though, just really think it's a worthwhile script!)

Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #104
mpl

I repeat I did not desighed it for use with "static" things (like render), but only "live" control. But I think may be we need to ask devs to add some API to get render state and API for set defer priority, here is my fantasy:

Code:
if reaper.GetRenderState() == 1 then -- if rendering currently
  enable_any_gfx_stuff = false
  SetDeferPriority(1) -- high
  reaper.defer(run)
 else
  enable_any_gfx_stuff = true
  SetDeferPriority(0) -- normal
  reaper.defer(run)
end

Last edited by mpl; 01-06-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #105
musicbynumbers

indeed live use is great but I Hope you don't mind if us sound designers try and get Justin to add that to the API so we can make this a reality!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #106
J Reverb

Very slow when get last touched parameter and also when switching maps, this only seems to happen when in fixed learn mode. release v1.

Oh and thanks for the heads up on bypass with the green rectangles.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #107
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
Very slow when get last touched parameter and also when switching maps, this only seems to happen when in fixed learn mode. release v1.
Just tried that here and so far it seems to be fine.

Do you have a few "steps" you could post to reliably get this to happen and I'll try them out.

I have fixed learn mode on and assigned to OSC commands here.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #108
musicbynumbers

One thing I just thought about that might be useful is when in fixed learn mode, instead of the empty sliders being named "empty" if they could also have the OSC or midi name next to them (or in the box at the bottom) that would be very helpful as I've got a few different OSC devices attached to them and it would be useful to know which is which.

EDIT: ok, after more testing, it seems to occasionally get "clogged up" with OSC input and then stop working until play is stopped and started again. I'll try and find out what it is.

EDIT 2 It seems to be much better (if not fixed) if you don't have the plugin showing at the same time. I was trying to get parameters from reaktor and control them and I think the graphics updates in reaktor where getting in the way. Closing it speeds it up again

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-06-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #109
musicbynumbers

potential bug..

after assigning a few commands to fixed learn (via OSC) I then tried to clear the slider only to find out that the OSC controlled still controlled all the same parameters as before even though the slider (in mapping panel) was now empty.

I can see that the actual reaper "learn" function is used here but it doesn't seem to be able to clear the learned parameter even though I've used the commands in the mapping panel menu to try to clear them.

Is it me using it wrong?

The short version is. OSC commands "learnt" via the mapping panel's fixed learn ability are NOT unlearned when clearing the slider or assigning it to something else.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #110
J Reverb

Quote:
potential bug..

Is it me using it wrong?
I think it's plugin specific, some break it, some don't, still testing.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #111
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
I think it's plugin specific, some break it, some don't, still testing.
could be that .

I've just tried it again on a new project and it seems to still get and not clear on all the ones I've tried so far.

The only thing that does work (which is awesome) is if you have assigned a map to a certain track and then another map to a different track.

Then, you can see the OSC assignments automatically switch plugin (in the project bay FX tab) which is awesome!

I'll keep trying stuff but it seems that clearing a slider doesn't remove the related midi or OSC learn yet.

also, even when you do have each map linked to a different track (and plugin), even though it dymically removes the learned osc commands on change, if you then try and clear the slider. It doesn't remove them so I think there's a bug there or a small oversight.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-06-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #112
musicbynumbers

Good news!

The slow down Lag/responsiveness with OSC in fixed learn mode also happens when the script is not even running (closed with the x button).

This means there is something that every so often screws up OSC control.

To be honest it might be my router so I need to try an adhoc connection to see if that solves it.

Least that part (for me at least) means that it's not the mapper script.

Not being able to delete learnt osc though is still there
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #113
mpl

Should works right with 1.02 (check changelog)

Last edited by mpl; 01-07-2016 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #114
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thanks! testing soon!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #115
gwok

Hi mpl,

thanks for the great work. I was looking for something like just a few weeks ago, and this is far above what I had hoped to find as a solution.

I have the script working, though I am coming across with an error when assigning a parameter ( via right click - get last touched) with an alias for it's name (rename fx instance)

this is the error

/Volumes/Audio HD C/PerForm/Scripts/mpl_Mapping Panel.lua:2546: attempt to index a nil value

though on the same plugin with just the factory default name, making an assignment works fine.

I am on 5.11, sws 2.82, mavericks,

cheers!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #116
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Tested. All seems to be above and beyond amazing now! thanks!

I'm hoping Justin will consider adding some API bits for that offline rendering issue. I'll beg him again at some point soon!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #117
musicbynumbers

Just tried recording (via touch) the envelopes of some knobs that are being controlled by and envelope on an item and noticed that there is a lag/slew rate on the slaved envelopes.

You also get this lag when moving one controller manually which controls another. The slaved one lags behind a bit.

I can see why this might be to save CPU cost etc but is there a way to higher this rate at the expense of CPU cycles?

I'd happily sacrifice CPU myself here if possible.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #118
mpl

I think these things not scriptable. The script cycle period depending on cpu power. For me it is about 0.2s with simple gui (didn't benchmark mapping panel, I think it will have much more cycle period). And parameters lag is Reaper internal thing and I get this via native modulation also. In Cubase, Live, FL I didn't saw things like that. The sound still the same, so I guess this done only for saving CPU power to not spend it to Gui updates.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #119
musicbynumbers

understood.

It's more about automation ending up with these "softened" version of it. I wonder if it's something the devs can fix then.. I wouldn't know what to ask for to be honest

Below is an image of what I mean (in case it's not obvious what I mean)
The top envelope is the pre-drawn master envelope and the bottom one is the one that has been recorded in touch mode and is slaved to the top one via the mapper.

Maybe it's just reaper's issue with automation "sample rate" for automation being slow. I'll try looking at the settings again. I think I've come across this before so it really probably isn't anything you can do. no worries. (also, you did mention it's for live work!)

Old 01-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #120
musicbynumbers

hmm. I'm going to try it with 2 vst3s that have sample accurate automation (if I can find one)

That might do it, the slew/lag is probably tied to the asio buffer size. I have a feeling that's it..

EDIT: Changing buffer size does seem to affect it a bit. seems like the rise and falls get longer with higher buffers.

I'm sure there's a way around this. I'll keep looking!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-07-2016 at 04:05 PM.