Old 02-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #241
Stringer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
What distro/version are you using? Fresh install of that version, or updated via "rolling" update from a previous version?

Maybe one of the dependencies required by Dragonfly or the DPF framework is too old, or has a compatibility issue.
It's Linux Mint 18.3. I probably installed 18.0 fresh and then did rolling updates up to 18.3. It's been a while. They are on 19.3 now. I started using Mint on version 16 or so. But absolutely everything else works fine.

I was thinking maybe of uninstalling and reinstalling Reaper.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #242
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
It's Linux Mint 18.3. I probably installed 18.0 fresh and then did rolling updates up to 18.3. It's been a while. They are on 19.3 now. I started using Mint on version 16 or so. But absolutely everything else works fine.

I was thinking maybe of uninstalling and reinstalling Reaper.
Are you using the Linux native Reaper, or the Windows one running in Wine? The latter will only use Windows VSTs.

Just an experiment, could you try loading Dragonfly Reverb in a different plugin host? Something like Carla, QTractor, or Ardour?
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #243
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
Are you using the Linux native Reaper, or the Windows one running in Wine? The latter will only use Windows VSTs.

Just an experiment, could you try loading Dragonfly Reverb in a different plugin host? Something like Carla, QTractor, or Ardour?
I am running Linux native Reaper. I don't have any other host installed at the moment. I have never tried any of the other Linux hosts. Maybe I should try Ardour, which appears to be the most popular.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #244
JamesPeters

Mint lags behind compared to official Ubuntu "flavors" and that's one of the reasons I won't use Mint anymore. It's usually not a problem but sometimes a package is old enough that it isn't compatible with what I want to use (ReaPack for instance with its older version of GCC was an issue for me).

Also I've noticed a rolling update not quite doing the full update properly. I forget what distro it was (I've tried several) but I noticed when I later did a fresh install, it fixed the problem I was having.

I currently use Xubuntu.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #245
Stringer

Quote:

Ok, I installed Ardour. Then I had to start learning Ardour, which is not very intuitive. I finally figured out how to add a plugin to a track. I added a VST path that Ardour could see and added the four Dragonfly .so files. As near as I can tell, Ardour can't see them or doesn't display them. So James may be right that my machine lacks a necessary dependency. But what could it be? What do the new plugs use that the May 2019 ones don't?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #246
Michael Willis

Quote:
Ok, I installed Ardour. Then I had to start learning Ardour, which is not very intuitive. I finally figured out how to add a plugin to a track. I added a VST path that Ardour could see and added the four Dragonfly .so files. As near as I can tell, Ardour can't see them or doesn't display them. So James may be right that my machine lacks a necessary dependency. But what could it be? What do the new plugs use that the May 2019 ones don't?
OH! I know what's gone wrong! I used to build the Dragonfly Reverb releases on a derivative of Ubuntu 16, the previous LTS release. I recently started building the releases on a derivative of Ubuntu 18, the current LTS release. Maybe I should go back to building it on an older Linux distro, just so that we don't have dependency issues like this...

Edit: confirmed... "Linux Mint 18 features ... an Ubuntu 16.04 package base." according to https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_...n_whatsnew.php

not very intuitive lol

Last edited by Michael Willis; 02-19-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #247
Stringer

Quote:
OH! I know what's gone wrong! I used to build the Dragonfly Reverb releases on a derivative of Ubuntu 16, the previous LTS release. I recently started building the releases on a derivative of Ubuntu 18, the current LTS release. Maybe I should go back to building it on an older Linux distro, just so that we don't have dependency issues like this...

Edit: confirmed... "Linux Mint 18 features ... an Ubuntu 16.04 package base." according to https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_...n_whatsnew.php

not very intuitive lol
Or maybe I should install Mint 19.3. I have been waiting on that because I have been thinking about replacing the boot disk, which is getting full, or blowing Win7 away and reformatting. Or if we could figure out what the dependency is, I could try to install it or update it.

I suppose Ardour must be somewhat intuitive because I was able to install it, add a track and figure out where the plugins were and how to add them in about 20 minutes. That is not bad for a new DAW, especially for me. It was just that those 20 minutes were like, "OK, this is kind of like Reaper, but designed by Tralfamadorians."
Old 02-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #248
Michael Willis

Quote:
or blowing Win7 away
As a wild-eyed Linux enthusiast, I recommend this option

Quote:
Or if we could figure out what the dependency is, I could try to install it or update it.
If you're willing to do crazy stuff, try this first. Type the following into the terminal one at a time, enter your password after the sudo command:

Code:
sudo apt install git pkg-config libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libjack-jackd2-dev
git clone --recursive https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragonfly-reverb.git
cd dragonfly-reverb
make
If that works, you should find four shiny new Dragonfly*-vst.so files in the bin folder inside the dragonfly-reverb folder. Copy them to some place that Reaper will find them and try it out.

Quote:
I suppose Ardour must be somewhat intuitive
Don't take my snarky link too seriously. If you like Reaper, keep using it.

P.S. Nice Vonnegut reference
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #249
Zlornick

Digging the new Early Reflections plugin. Very nice set of reverbs!
Zlornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #250
Stringer

Quote:
As a wild-eyed Linux enthusiast, I recommend this option

If you're willing to do crazy stuff, try this first. Type the following into the terminal one at a time, enter your password after the sudo command:

Code:
sudo apt install git pkg-config libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libjack-jackd2-dev
git clone --recursive https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragonfly-reverb.git
cd dragonfly-reverb
make
If that works, you should find four shiny new Dragonfly*-vst.so files in the bin folder inside the dragonfly-reverb folder. Copy them to some place that Reaper will find them and try it out.

Don't take my snarky link too seriously. If you like Reaper, keep using it.

P.S. Nice Vonnegut reference
Right now the only time I boot into Win7 is to scan something. I have never been able to get the scanner on my Brother laserprinter to work in Linux. But I do need to scan on occasion.

So each line of that code is a separate command? And is the result that I am compiling Dragonfly specifically for my machine?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #251
Michael Willis

Quote:
So each line of that code is a separate command? And is the result that I am compiling Dragonfly specifically for my machine?
Correct. Either try that, or download 3.0.0-RC1. I built the Linux flavor using Xubuntu 14.04 LTS like I did for the v2 release last year, so hopefully it should work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
Dragonfly stills shows no GUI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacki View Post
I've observed that the Dragonfly Reverbs take ~10 times longer until the GUI shows up.
I can't promise anything, but please let me know if you still experience these issues with latest release candidate, version 3.0.0-RC1.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #252
Michael Willis

Oh, also the new manuals are drafted. They're not as involved as the manuals for Hall and Plate, since these new plugins are a lot more simple, but anybody inclined please take a few minutes and proofread them.

Dragonfly Plate Manual

Dragonfly Early Reflections Manual
Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #253
Stringer

Default It Works!

The new build works! Thanks so much for working through this problem with me. I learned a lot, and now I have your great plugins to work with.

One question about the plate reverb. It has a dry slider and a wet slider. Moving up the wet doesn't make the dry go down. Could it be 100% wet, but also 100% dry? I don't quite understand how this works.

Thanks again. These are my go to reverb plugins.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #254
Michael Willis

Quote:
One question about the plate reverb. It has a dry slider and a wet slider. Moving up the wet doesn't make the dry go down. Could it be 100% wet, but also 100% dry? I don't quite understand how this works.
Oh yeah, that's kind of weird, but it's how I initially designed Dragonfly Hall back in ye olde days of v1.0 ... If I had to do it all over again, I would make them decibel levels instead, but whatever. So think of it like this, setting them both to 100% mixes the full original signal with the full output of the reverb algorithm.

Generally speaking, if you use a separate reverb bus, you probably want 0% dry, 100% wet, but it you're just putting the reverb on a single track, or on your master bus, or something like that, then you want to mix in some amount of your dry signal with some amount of wet.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #255
JamesPeters

BUG!

Early Reflections (in this RC) has its preset return to "concert venue" when it's closed and reopened. Well, it shows that it has, anyway. It keeps whatever settings it has, but displays that "concert venue" preset is selected.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #256
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
BUG!
Ouch. Total showstopper. This is why I do a release candidate before making it official, and also why the credits say James Peters: QA.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #257
SmajjL

I could sworn i've said thank you, but I see no evidence of that so, t h a n k y o u!
[SmajjL] <-- *slap!*

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #258
huberkinky

Michael

I'll be very honest and very helpful to you, OK? IÂ’m crazy about reverbs because IÂ’m making ambient electronic ballads with my great singer with fantastic voice.
For some rather known reason I have become an addict to reverbs checking almost all, I can put my hands on. I have maybe 30 or more reverbs. All Valhallas, Acon Digital, Aether, Ambience (free but very good) Breeze, Breeze2, H-reverb, Flux Ircam, newest Raum (v.good) Seventh Heaven Pro and 25 more.

IMHO the best for a ballad is Aether. Just rediscovered it accidentally, because nothing in one particular song was working the way I wanted. So again I have tried Aether, because IÂ’ve read o Gearshlutz some good stuff of it.
I used one Chamber on vocal and suddenly it sounded like a charmed.

Why I never heard that good reverb before on my system? Because Aether has about 200 patches. And not many people know how reverbs and many other plugins are working.

Here is the trick.

Mostly we should working on reverb no longer than 15 minutes. After that weÂ’re loosing all objectivity. I have learned it very hard way.

That means, if you working on your reverb LONGER than that, you will never get anywhere, because after 15 minutes you have no idea what you're doing because you are losing objectivity. The next day you're wondering what the hell you were doing last evening.

In other words, take any reverb and try 50 settings or patches. After 45 youÂ’re not responsive to any changes and you are wasting your time.
Second problem is: you have no idea how reverb should sound in the mix. Because I have tested your reverb andÂ… no good in the mix.

It does not sound good in the field great reverbs do. Seventh Heaven Pro has perfect tail, but he does not sound IMHO as clean as Aether sounds. Aether sounds much better, because has 2x oversampling which sounds very sweet and some patches have the same perfect way of laying under vocals but that oversampling beats them all! IMHO.

So If you can, try some Seventh Heaven Pro for a tail shape, you will be on right track.

I know why Aether is not so popular. Most patches are bad. Few are exceptional but you have to find them. Than you have understand that sweet tail will sound sweeter on 2x oversampling which is CPU heavy.

And the biggest problem with Aether is: 30 points of adjustments. ThatÂ’s overwhelming for most of us.

Valhalla is very good, but Aether is much better on those few magic patches. Tail of Valhalla is good but is not top. IMHO.

Why I have wrote this? Because I was struggling for years and no one would help me. I had to work on my own mistakes. Took me while but now I think I can mix some stuff, even on Reaper! HahahahahahaÂ…

When I listen to you reverb. I knew why it sounds like it sounds. AgainÂ… donÂ’t listen some nerds here. Plenty of them! Just try firstÂ…. Work not longer than 15 minutes and stop for at least for half hour. Than you will have major progress.
To have the progress, borrow from someone Seventh Heaven Pro and listen their best plates and figure out, how itÂ’s possible to get reverb sitting under vocal that way. They and Lexicon are the best!

If you will figure it out, you will be able do it the same or even better way. YouÂ’re very persistent so you will be able to make it! That 15 minutes applies to me. Your timing could be shorter or longer.

Kind regards. YouÂ’re so stubborn. People like you are winners!
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #259
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
I'll be very honest and very helpful to you, OK?
Thanks for your candor. If there is one thing that I have learned in the two years that I've worked on this pet project, it is that not everybody wants the same thing from a reverb plugin.

Quote:
you have no idea how reverb should sound in the mix.
I think what you mean is that I have no idea what you want in a reverb, and that is absolutely correct. I don't truly know what anybody else wants, I only know what I want.

I'm not a professional musician. I am not professional sound engineer. Honestly I don't even know that much about digital signal processing. I didn't even develop the reverb algorithms. I'm just a hobbyist that wanted a hall reverb that would work with my specific OS/DAW combo and doesn't sound horrible. At most I'm just presenting somebody else's work in a package that is hopefully easier to use.

Some people rave about how much they love Dragonfly Reverb, and some people use expletives in another language to describe how horrible it is. Some people want a reverb with a few dials and a handful of carefully tested presets, other people want to customize esoteric things like the specific low/high pass filter algorithm and detuning on the allpass feedback and such.

I can't make everybody happy, so I'm mostly just making these the way that I want them and sharing them with the world in the hope that somebody else finds them useful. I occasionally even make adjustments based on the feedback that I get from the community. What I can tell you is that I have been astonished that people making such a wide variety of music are really happy using these plugins.

Last edited by Michael Willis; 02-20-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #260
huberkinky

Of course most here have no idea! They are just having fun here.
Best VST reverbs for pros.

Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Plugin Bundle (Pc/Mac, $599) Tail is very similar to Seventh Heaven Pro

Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb (PC/Mac, $199) Made by guy who made Lexicon. Industry standard the same or very similar tail

Native Instruments Reverb Classics (PC/Mac, €199) copy of Lexicon

Softube TSAR-1 (PC/Mac, $269) copy of Lexicon

And of course hardware Bricasti. Seventh Heaven Pro is a VST version of Bricasti $5k price. Seventh Heaven has identical tail like Bricasti.

TAL-Reverb-II (PC/Mac, free) has a similar tail but he has not patches. So you have to program it from scratch. But itÂ’s very good free reverb.

These reverbs are sounding amazing and their tiles are very similar. TheyÂ’re industry standards, Valhalla included.

If no one has pointed to look at tail of top reverbs, that means only one thing. You are wasting time here.

Get any of these reverbs, maybe as demos, Put Sony headphones to hear where the tail is going and try to match that shape. ItÂ’s not easy at all!

And remember. Never work with reverbs longer than 10-20 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes. You WILL find your own border time, sooner or later.

Those guys who were a little nasty, they told you the truth. Those who likedÂ… no comments.

DonÂ’t ask them what they want. Make a nice tail and put your reverb on Gearshlutz. Those guys know, most of them but they donÂ’t like to tell many secrets.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #261
JamesPeters

Quote:
Those guys who were a little nasty, they told you the truth. Those who likedÂ… no comments.
So anyone that likes Dragonfly plugins is either lying or they're stupid?

You need to get your ears checked, especially if you're recommending TAL-Reverb-II over Dragonfly.

Also maybe read Michael's last post. You're generally being ridiculous.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #262
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

Quote:

DonÂ’t ask them what they want. Make a nice tail and put your reverb on Gearshlutz. Those guys know, most of them but they donÂ’t like to tell many secrets.
What the heck are you actually trying to say? Dragonfly is fantastic, free or otherwise. I'm one of those who are really happy. Me like the tails.

No offense but ambient electronic ballads are hardly the litmus test for evaluating tail quality! Try classical...
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #263
Stringer

Quote:
Thanks for your candor. If there is one thing that I have learned in the two years that I've worked on this pet project, it is that not everybody wants the same thing from a reverb plugin.

I think what you mean is that I have no idea what you want in a reverb, and that is absolutely correct. I don't truly know what anybody else wants, I only know what I want.

I'm not a professional musician. I am not professional sound engineer. Honestly I don't even know that much about digital signal processing. I didn't even develop the reverb algorithms. I'm just a hobbyist that wanted a hall reverb that would work with my specific OS/DAW combo and doesn't sound horrible. At most I'm just presenting somebody else's work in a package that is hopefully easier to use.

Some people rave about how much they love Dragonfly Reverb, and some people use expletives in another language to describe how horrible it is. Some people want a reverb with a few dials and a handful of carefully tested presets, other people want to customize esoteric things like the specific low/high pass filter algorithm and detuning on the allpass feedback and such.

I can't make everybody happy, so I'm mostly just making these the way that I want them and sharing them with the world in the hope that somebody else finds them useful. I occasionally even make adjustments based on the feedback that I get from the community. What I can tell you is that I have been astonished that people making such a wide variety of music are really happy using these plugins.
These days most of my recording has been putting leads on backing tracks posted by guys over on the telecaster site, TDPRI. Twice a week they put up a track and various people do different things with it and give each other feedback. When a lead track is too dry, it kind of sticks out in front of everything else. I have been using Dragonfly room reverb to try to match the ambience of the backing track so that it all hangs together. Dragonfly room is great for that.

I experimented a bit with the plate on the last one of these. Instead of gluing it all together, it gave the guitar track a bit of an interesting edge. I am definitely going to experiment a bit more with this. I think reverb is best when its subtle (with the exception of surf music). I think Dragonfly has just the sort of tools to create subtle effects. I am not really interested in the kinds of long tails huberkinky is talking about. But I am sure that has its place.

Thanks Michael!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #264
huberkinky

I didn't say they're stupid. I said: no comments.

Opinion can be valuable, if supported by some solid evidences, which I have supplied.

And TAL-Reverb-II I have used and it's good, but limited. Again, check evidences.

Here is one.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...plugins-588377

So... your opinion is not worth the bandwidth. ;-)

"No offense but ambient electronic ballads are hardly the litmus test for evaluating tail quality! Try classical..."

Not offence take, since you have tested this reverb with an opera classical singer! Hahahahahahaha...
Old 02-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #265
JamesPeters

Quote:
I didn't say they're stupid. I said: no comments.

Opinion can be valuable, if supported by some solid evidences, which I have supplied.
We know what you said, because we can read it in context. Don't pretend to be innocent.

Your "evidence" by the way is solely your opinion. You are not an authority on reverb and you've just proven it by saying TAL-Reverb-II is better than Dragonfly. I can compare reverbs with one ear and know how crazy that statement is.

Dragonfly Room, Hall, and Plate (nested algo) have excellent tails.

PS. I have compared many reverbs, so I don't need you to explain which reverbs to compare with or how to compare. The fact you assume no one has done this, in itself, is arrogant.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-20-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #266
Michael Willis

Quote:
I'm disappointed, at a glance when I saw the link I thought you were sharing a mix that you made. I put the headphones on eager to hear your vocalist in an ambient track to better understand your approach to reverb.

Quote:
Not offence take, since you have tested this reverb with an opera classical singer! Hahahahahahaha...
I am aware of one classically trained musician (with a life dream of recording as many Bach pieces as he can) who is very excited about the results here's getting from Dragonfly Hall, and is currently investigating Dragonfly Plate as a way of simulating a harpsichord soundboard.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #267
Rivereto Esplorado

Quote:
Seriously...how do you know whether I have or haven't? In actual fact, I've tested Dragonfly Hall on various classical ensemble recordings at this point with results in the same ballpark as the reverbs you listed. And, as it turns out, I have a soprano recital disc in the works that will use—you guessed it—Dragonfly reverb.

Let's not forget your other ridiculous statement that Seventh Heaven Pro has "identical tail like Bricasti". Yep, that's right, folks! Why pay $4k (not $5k as you stated) when you can buy Seventh Heaven for $69/$299 for an "identical" tail? Give me a break. It speaks volumes about your expertise if you think the tail of an M7 box sounds identical to Seventh Heaven. You are talking nonsense without a shred of solid evidence.

To quote a self-professed reverb guru...I'll be very honest and very helpful to you, OK? Buzz off.

Last edited by Rivereto Esplorado; 02-20-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #268
Perken

Hello Michael, I just tried version 3 of the two reverbs and I find them awesome. Thank you very much for sharing them.

Ironically enough, my favorite settings were when I used the halls in the room reverb, and the studios in the hall reverb. They just have some kind of voodoo.

Thanks again !
Perken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #269
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
And, as it turns out, I have a soprano recital disc in the works that will use—you guessed it—Dragonfly reverb
I don't know what mic you're using, but I'm guessing it's some kind of fancy condenser or ribbon that you don't want to damage. Here, borrow one of my super cheap Behringer XM8500 Dynamics for the mic drop.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #270
Rivereto Esplorado

Quote:
I don't know what mic you're using, but I'm guessing it's some kind of fancy condenser or ribbon that you don't want to damage.
No fancy condensers or ribbons. Just a middle-of-the-road Shure KSM141 pair in omni mode between piano and singer (who are facing each other). Vocal spot microphone (sE440a) on hand just in case good balance can't be achieved. I'm not sure whether the mic drop you refer to is for the soprano or my previous dismissive post
Old 02-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #271
huberkinky

Quote:
Let's not forget your other ridiculous statement that Seventh Heaven Pro has "identical tail like Bricasti". Yep, that's right, folks! Why pay $4k (not $5k as you stated) when you can buy Seventh Heaven for $69/$299 for an "identical" tail? Give me a break. It speaks volumes about your expertise if you think the tail of an M7 box sounds identical to Seventh Heaven. You are talking nonsense without a shred of solid evidence.

To quote a self-professed reverb guru...I'll be very honest and very helpful to you, OK? Buzz off.
You are not very bright, don't you!?

Bricasti it's a hardware reverb, . It was 5k before. Prices are changing sometimes, OK?

Seventh Heaven it's VST reverb convolution reverb based on samples from Bricasti. Sounds good, tail the same but because of sampling it's not the same like Bricasti.

Bricasti is smoother. How much smoother? Buy and learn something once in your life!

Read something... those guys know something, OK?

https://blog.landr.com/best-reverb-plugins/

Michael.. don't listen to that guy. As you see he knows nothing. With reverbs it's like with composing music. Never ask audience about opinion. You're selling your taste and your talent. If you're working with group of talented musicians, you may get somewhere and you will be not fighting with them.

Evidently the same case it's with reverbs. Learn more, check everything, don't forget, it's the hard market and... never listen to those, who have no ideas.

You're guy who works hard. Critics never working hard and scoffing everyone. Don't listen, especially those, who are misleading you by liking you... ;-)

As I have said, don't listen, grab a demo one of reverbs I have mentioned and heard and listen to them vary carefully. Listen carefully and try to figure out, how is working a tail of good reverb in relation with vocal. Compare with yours. That, if you will figure out, how that sounds and working, try to copy that tail in your reverb.

As I have said before, it's not easy at all! But you have a passion and you're working hard. Such people almost always are winners. It take time and a lot of hard work and heaps of thinking.

Kind regards...
Old 02-22-2020, 05:45 AM   #272
cjewellstudios

Can we block this guy?

He's clouding this great thread.

This is a thread about Dragonfly Reverb. It is not a pissing contest. If you would like to troll people about your knowledge of reverb and talk about the amazing work you do, there are certainly places for that. Hell, start your own thread. Your nonsense was tolerated and dealt with as nicely as the people here can muster. Now it's crossing the line.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #273
SmajjL

Kinda

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #274
Michael Willis

I think I have discovered the biggest problem with these plugins. The color schemes are all wrong.

Quote:
convolution reverb
All of the Dragonfly plugins are algorithmic. If you want the sound of a convolution reverb, Dragonfly is not going to do it for you.

Quote:
Critics never working hard and scoffing everyone.
Q.E.D.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #275
Michael Willis

Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available. This fixes the minor bug in which the wrong reflection type is highlighted upon reloading the user interface for Early Reflections.

If no other substantial bugs are reported, this will be promoted to an official v3 release.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #276
domzy

@michael willis - thanks for the great work!
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #277
bagpipe

I dont post much around here - more of a lurker. But I wanted to post and say how impressed I am with Dragonfly reverb. Downloaded and installed version 2 on my Windows machine.

I really, really like it. I'm continually trying and occasionally buying reverb VSTs but I always struggle with tweaking the various parameters to get the sound I'm looking for. With Dragonfly I was able to get the sounds I like using just the presets ie no tinkering with any of the controls.

So, I'm impressed. And it's free. Thanks to Michael Willis for all the hard work.
bagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #278
Rivereto Esplorado

Quote:
Buy and learn something once in your life!
Does a PhD and two masters degrees count?

As cjewellstudios said, this is a thread about Dragonfly reverbs. We like them a lot and we like Michael. He's open to constructive criticism but not this kind of verbal diarrhea. If you are such an expert, make your own reverb but my sense is that you wouldn't even know where to begin. And, like I said previously, if you are seriously trying to talk about smoothness of tails using ambient electronic ballads as your reference, I think you are either ignorant or simply trying to take us on a merry dance. Newflash: It ain't merry.

Quote:
You are not very bright, don't you!?
Oh dear. Where to begin?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #279
vdubreeze

Michael, thank you for your generosity in providing Dragonfly Reverb as a free plugin. Not only does it sound great but I get a lot of use out of it, which doesn't always happen with plugins, even when they sound great. It deserves its reputation as a no-brainer free plugin to install and as one of the best free or inexpensive algorithmic reverbs out there.

And also thanks to James Peters, and folks like him, who not only troubleshoot meaningfully (as opposed to when I troubleshoot, which means I use something and if it screws up I point out that it screwed up), but engage with the creator in such a way as to get bugs fixed and improvements made. Big props to you both!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #280
JamesPeters

Quote:
Read something... those guys know something, OK?
Appeal to (false) authority.

Your ears are broken.

Quote:
Oh dear. Where to begin?
LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
And also thanks to James Peters, and folks like him, who not only troubleshoot meaningfully
I'm glad to help! The way I test plugins, I'd notice stuff like this anyway. It's the least I can do to repay Michael for his efforts.