Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
stanshear
Human being with feelings

Default Cannot get Zoom R16 to work as control surface

I have done everything I can think of to get Reaper to respond to my Zoom R16 and have consulted all the relevant posts without success. Need advice badly. All I get is the dreaded message:

"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened:
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface"

Here is what I've done:
1.Installed ZOOM driver.

2. Set up ZOOM as audio interface. It appears under MIDI device settings in Reaper as Input - "ZOOM R16_24 Audio Interface Enabled-Control and Output ZOOM R16_R24 Enabled".

3. The ZOOM audio interface is set at a Sample Rate of 44.1 kHZ and the input levels correspond to the inputs I've connected up (mics - whatever).

4. Under Control/OSC/web I've installed Mackie Control (dev 0.1)

5. Under Audio Device I have ASIO Driver ASIO4ALL v2, and have ticked Enable inputs - first 1. Audio Interface 1 and last 2. Audio Interface 2. Similarly for Output range. Sample rate 44100.

6. I've set up the routing matrix to map ZOOM 1 to track 1, ZOOM 2 to track 2, etc. for 8 tracks which I've added to the Reaper panel. Not sure what to do with the other cells- Audio Interface 1 and 2, All MIDI inputs etc. which I've left unchecked. If I click on any of the All MID Inputs cells, the error message comes up.

7. When I arm a track and press the record button on the Zoom, the Reaper error message pops up and the track cursor starts to move, but nothing is recorded. Similarly if I press the record button on Reaper.

So that's my sad story, and I think I've detailed all the things I can think of.

Thanks in advance fellow Reapers.

Stan
stanshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened:
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface"
Quote:
2... It appears under MIDI device settings in Reaper as Input - "ZOOM R16_24 Audio Interface Enabled-Control and Output ZOOM R16_R24 Enabled".
Quote:
4. Under Control/OSC/web I've installed Mackie Control (dev 0.1)
In general this error occurs when the same MIDI in/output is enabled in both the MIDI device settings and Control Surface.
So when the R16 is set up as Control Surface (Mackie Control), disable the R16 MIDI input and output in the MIDI Device settings: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=zoom+r16

Last edited by solger; 03-26-2017 at 01:34 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
stanshear

Solger, thanks a ton. I am nearly there, but still have a problem. Although I can now record into Reaper, notwithstanding which input I plug a mic into, it records on ALL the tracks that I've enabled. I think this might be a problem with the Routing Grid. I have allocated the Reaper tracks to the corresponding Zoom channels, but am not sure what selection to make in the cells below, viz. HD Audio Mic input 1 ---- All Midi Inputs. So far it only works when I select the HD Audio Mic input 1 cells, but I could have a few mics and a keyboard etc. Also, the Zoom faders and input knob have no effect. Whatever level I choose is simply bypassed. I'm confused about the little "Route" box just on the right of the Volume Control of each track. Not sure how this works and it seems to be listing the tracks in stereo - viz. Parent Channels 1-2, 2-3 etc and track channels 2,4,6 etc. Midi Hardware Output shows <no output> and 'send to original outputs' and these seem to be the only settings that it works with.
Stan
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
...Although I can now record into Reaper, notwithstanding which input I plug a mic into, it records on ALL the tracks that I've enabled. I think this might be a problem with the Routing Grid...
Quote:
...I'm confused about the little "Route" box just on the right of the Volume Control of each track. Not sure how this works ...
Have a look in general at the corresponding chapters in the User Guide: http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
- 2.24 REAPER Routing Essentials
- 2.25 Routing Matrix
- 3 Recording Audio and MIDI

And in addition some videos:
- Recording Audio: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#iLC1HjLXLd0
- Sends: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#8tgP8UCcd2o

Also keep in mind that using the R16 as Audio Device and/or as MIDI Device (Mackie Control) are two different things ...

Quote:
1.Installed ZOOM driver.
5. Under Audio Device I have ASIO Driver ASIO4ALL v2, and have ticked Enable inputs - first 1. Audio Interface 1 and last 2. Audio Interface 2
Are you trying to use multiple audio interfaces at the same time. Or is there any other specific reason why you're using ASIO4ALL here?

Otherwise select and use the dedicated R16 ASIO audio driver: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/pro...ller#downloads
And make sure that you have the correct input range (first - last input) selected.

Last edited by solger; 03-26-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
stanshear

I've read the relevant portions of the manual re the matrix, but still have a problem. My Reaper matrix does not look the same as the example in the manual which shows Input1, Input2, etc.which you can allocate to the Reaper tracks. The matrix has two lines, Audio Interface 1 and Audio Interface 2, and in order to get the Zoom to speak to Reaper, I have to check the corresponding cell in Audio Interface 1 (or 2 for that matter) in spite of the fact that I have mapped the input channels to the corresponding Reaper tracks in the grid. I have selected the option to display all the midi channels, which shows Channel 1: All MIDI inputs, Channel 2: All MIDI inputs, etc, but if I map for example, Channel 1, All MIDI inputs to track 1, and similar for the other channels, there is no response in the Reaper tracks. I HAVE to use Audio Interface 1, and then, since there is only one row, I have to check all the cells in this row, which allocates the Zoom channels to ALL the Reaper tracks, as before.
Phew, I hope this is clear. I'm sure I'm just missing something, and if I can just get this channel-track allocation thing sorted out I'll be OK. PLEASE don't give up on me!
Stan
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
solger

Can you please attach some screenshots of your current settings for the audio device (inputs/outputs) and the routing matrix: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
Otherwise it's difficult to give any specific hints.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
stanshear

I've attached the relevant screenshots as a jpg attachment.
Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper setup.jpg (41.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanshear View Post
I've attached the relevant screenshots as a jpg attachment.
There seems to be only one screenshot attached (Reaper_setup.jpg) which shows Mackie Control under Control/OSC/web ...
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 AM   #9
stanshear

Oh gee, sorry about that.(Must have been late night blues). Here is the correct one attached as a pdf.
Stan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reaper device settings.pdf (214.6 KB, 253 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
Oh gee, sorry about that.(Must have been late night blues). Here is the correct one attached as a pdf.
No worries! Thanks.

Can you post additional screenshots of:
- The ASIO4ALL Control Panel, so I can see what the settings for Audio Interface 1 and 2 are.
- And In Reaper -> Audio -> Device what are the available options in the drop down list for Input - last (where it shows [2: Audio Interface 2] in the screenshot)

And have you already tried if it's working when selecting the dedicated R16 ASIO driver (instead of ASIO4ALL) as ASIO driver in the Audio -> Device Preferences?

Last edited by solger; 03-27-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
stanshear

Now we may be onto something. Firstly, where do I find the ASIO4ALL control settings? In the screenshots I sent, looking at the Audio Device shot on the top left, if I click on the ASIO driver, the only choice I have is ASIO4ALL V2 or ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO DRIVER
If I click on ASIO CONFIGURATION, I get the attached screen.
Thanks so much for your patience. It is muchly appreciated.
Stan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ASIIO CONFIGURATION.pdf (152.4 KB, 267 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
In the screenshots I sent, looking at the Audio Device shot on the top left, if I click on the ASIO driver, the only choice I have is ASIO4ALL V2 or ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO DRIVER
Select the ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO DRIVER.
Then make sure that the correct input range is used (input 1 - input 8), as mentioned in post #8 in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=zoom+r16
Quote:
13. ASIO Driver: Select ZOOM R16 ASIO Driver.
14. Enable inputs box should be checked. Under that "first" should say "1: Input channel. "last" should say 8: Input channel.
Quote:
Firstly, where do I find the ASIO4ALL control settings...
...If I click on ASIO CONFIGURATION, I get the attached screen.
Yes this is the ASIO4ALL Control Panel I was talking about. In the screenshot it only shows the internal soundcard (Realtek High Defintion Audio) as active and the Screaming Bee Audio Driver (not active)...

Just to clarify:

In general you can use ASIO4ALL as audio driver for your internal soundcard (Realtek) which might give you better latency results. Or if your audio interface doesn't have its own dedicated ASIO driver. Another reason for using ASIO4ALL can be if you want to try to make use of all inputs/outputs from different audio interfaces (like internal soundcard + external audio interface) at the same time.
More info in general about ASIO4ALL here: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm

But if you just want to use the R16 as the only audio interface, then use its own dedicated audio driver (in this case ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO DRIVER)!
In addition check out the Audio interface/control surface chapter in the R16 operation manual (page 75-76) about additional settings on the R16 itself.

Also from the R16 manual about using it as Control Surface:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom R16 manual
Usable as a control surface for DAW software
The R16 is equipped with functions that enable you to control DAW software in a computer via a USB cable. You can operate the transport of the DAW software, such as play, record and stop, and you can physically control fader operations. You can also assign various DAW functions to the R16’s F1–F5 function keys. (The assignable functions depend on the DAW software.)
As a side note, it should also be possible to:
1) Disable or remove the R16 as Mackie Control from Control/OSC/web first (so that the R16 is not set up as Control Surface with predefined control mappings).
2) Then enable the R16 only under MIDI devices and map the controls, actions, etc. in Reaper manually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVPVY7LYAMs

I hope this makes everything a little bit more clear

Last edited by solger; 03-27-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
stanshear

Hi Solger -Tremendous breakthrough. Using the Zoom driver and selecting inputs 1-8 I AM NOW ABLE TO RECORD ON EACH CHANNEL INDEPENDENTLY. But of course its still a painful experience. Now I cannot play back the Reaper recordings, which are clearly there, but no sound. I've tried the ASIO4ALL driver without success. Other music plays perfectly via Windows Media Player or any other software, but not Reaper. This is surely the last step and while I'm communicating with you, I'm still experimenting to see why Reaper won't play back. I hope you have a suggestion for this.Its just GOT to be a small setting - I hope.
Stan
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
stanshear

Solger - just another observation which might help. I can't get the master controller to work. It doesn't see any of the tracks I've recorded on, and I can't enable it.
Phew, this is indeed a painful process, isn't it? We'll win in the end.
Stan
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
solger

Quote:
Tremendous breakthrough. Using the Zoom driver and selecting inputs 1-8 I AM NOW ABLE TO RECORD ON EACH CHANNEL INDEPENDENTLY.
OK, great.

Quote:
But of course its still a painful experience. Now I cannot play back the Reaper recordings, which are clearly there, but no sound. I've tried the ASIO4ALL driver without success. Other music plays perfectly via Windows Media Player or any other software, but not Reaper. This is surely the last step and while I'm communicating with you, I'm still experimenting to see why Reaper won't play back. I hope you have a suggestion for this. Its just GOT to be a small setting - I hope.
Check the Hardware Output settings for the Master Track in general (starting at around 2:44): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoxSmr-2VU
Also are your speakers/headphones which you're using for playback/listening, connected to the R16 outputs?

Quote:
I can't get the master controller to work. It doesn't see any of the tracks I've recorded on, and I can't enable it.
Can you post more details or a little example about what you mean with 'Master Controller' and what's not working exactly ...

Last edited by solger; 03-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #16
stanshear

The speakers are connected to the monitor output of the computer. Connecting to the monitor output of the Zoom makes no difference. My test recordings are happily displaying on their individual channels in Reaper, but no sound.
By Master Controller, I mean the Master fader on the Reaper Mixer panel.
Stan
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
solger

Quote:
The speakers are connected to the monitor output of the computer.
OK, in this case you are trying to use two different audio interfaces (internal computer soundcard + R16) at the same time. Which means you would have to make ASIO4ALL working to use the R16 as input and the computer soundcard as output (by activating both audio devices in the ASIO4ALL Control Panel first and then setting the correct inputs/outputs in Reaper) ...

Quote:
Connecting to the monitor output of the Zoom makes no difference. My test recordings are happily displaying on their individual channels in Reaper, but no sound.
Just in case: is the volume control on the back of the R16 next to monitor output turned on?

Otherwise maybe this video might give you some hints if you missed a setting: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#iLC1HjLXLd0

Quote:
It doesn't see any of the tracks I've recorded on, and I can't enable it.
Quote:
By Master Controller, I mean the Master fader on the Reaper Mixer panel.
OK, but I still don't know what isn't working exactly or what 'It doesn't see any of the tracks I've recorded on, and I can't enable it.' means
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
stanshear

The plot thickens. OK, I'll try and figure out what to do, and get back to you as soon as I've done this. Thanks again Solger
Stan
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
stanshear

Solger, just to be specific - The recording waveforms appear in their respective tracks in Reaper,and when I play back, the cursor tracks over them, and the vertical level indicator moves in synchronism with the position on the track, but there is no sound either from the computer speakers or external speakers, regardless of whether I plug the speakers into the computer or the Zoom. Also, regardless of whether I use the ASIO4ALL driver or Zoom driver.
Can you be a bit more specific about how to set up my playback configuration from scratch, what driver to use and whether to plug into the computer monitor output or Zoom output. I'm just SO confused.
Stan
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #20
solger

Quote:
Solger, just to be specific - The recording waveforms appear in their respective tracks in Reaper,and when I play back, the cursor tracks over them, and the vertical level indicator moves in synchronism with the position on the track, but there is no sound either from the computer speakers or external speakers, regardless of whether I plug the speakers into the computer or the Zoom. Also, regardless of whether I use the ASIO4ALL driver or Zoom driver.
Do you see any meter movement on the Master Track (see link in post #15 above)?

If that's the case you know that audio from the individual tracks is reaching the Master Track and that it's most likely the case that the Master Track Output is not set correctly.
Otherwise check if the [Master Send] is enabled for the individual tracks: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#8tgP8UCcd2o

Quote:
Can you be a bit more specific about how to set up my playback configuration from scratch, what driver to use and whether to plug into the computer monitor output or Zoom output. I'm just SO confused.
Stan
1) Plug the speakers/headphones into the R16 output
2) Then follow steps 6-15, as mentioned in post #8 here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=zoom+r16
Quote:
6. On the R16, press USB. The R16 display now says USB 1/3. Below that is says >AUDIO INTERFACE.
7. Press ENTER. The R16 display now says AUDIO INTERFACE. Below that it says "ENTER?"
8. Press ENTER. The R16 display now says SETTING? Below that it says [CONTINUE] RESET. The upper right hand corner now says AUDIO INTERFACE.
9. Press ENTER. The R16 display now shows SAMPLE RATE=44.1kHZ. Below that it says S:Solo. In the upper right hand corner it says "AUDIO INTERFACE".

You should be connected at this time. YOU MAY NEED TO RE-BOOT REAPER AT THIS TIME.Once REAPER has re-booted:
10. Go to Options and select Preferences.

11. In the REAPER Preferences window (left hand side) select Audio Device.
12. Audio system should be "ASIO".
13. ASIO Driver: Select ZOOM R16 ASIO Driver.
14. Enable inputs box should be checked. Under that "first" should say "1: Input channel. "last" should say 8: Input channel.
15. Output range should say: first 1: Output channel. Last 2: Output channel.
So your audio signal chain looks like this: R16 Input 1-8 --> Reaper --> R16 Output 1-2 (= Reaper Master Track Output) --> Speakers

Last edited by solger; 03-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #21
stanshear

Solger - no luck at all. Everything connected correctly. I'm sure its the master track because there is no movement at all although I can control it from the master slider on the Zoom. You mentioned post 15 but I can't find it. If I can only get this to work I'm sure all will be Ok.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #22
solger

Quote:
Solger - no luck at all. Everything connected correctly. I'm sure its the master track because there is no movement at all although I can control it from the master slider on the Zoom. You mentioned post 15 but I can't find it. If I can only get this to work I'm sure all will be Ok.
Here's the link from post #15 again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoxSmr-2VU

You might also try doing a fresh portable Reaper install to a different folder and check if it works there (to rule out if it might be caused by something in your current Reaper configuration): http://reaperblog.net/2015/07/reaper...nstall-option/

Last edited by solger; 03-29-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
stanshear

Default Detailed instructions for setting up Zoom R16 and M-Audio keyboard as Control Surface

In thanks to the Forum, and particularly to Solger, for helping me solve my problem of using the Zoom R16 as a control surface for Reaper, I have attached a Word document explaining in detail how to do this, as well as how to simultaneously connect the M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard. This will provide full user control over any inputs in a home studio which uses the Zoom R16 as a controller, and maybe other MIDI control surface inputs such as a keyboard.

Feel free to comment, amend or improve on what I've written. I hope this will contribute a little to our Reaper community who have been confronted with similar problems.

Stan
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #24
stanshear

Sorry guys, but I couldn't attach the attachment as its too large - PDF's are limited to 250 K. Let me figure out how to zip it or something and then I'll send it. I don't have Winzip and sending it in separate parts is a little complicated.
Stan
Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #25
solger

Quote:
In thanks to the Forum, and particularly to Solger, for helping me solve my problem of using the Zoom R16 as a control surface for Reaper, I have attached a Word document explaining in detail how to do this, as well as how to simultaneously connect the M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard. This will provide full user control over any inputs in a home studio which uses the Zoom R16 as a controller, and maybe other MIDI control surface inputs such as a keyboard...
OK, great

Quote:
Sorry guys, but I couldn't attach the attachment as its too large - PDF's are limited to 250 K. Let me figure out how to zip it or something and then I'll send it. I don't have Winzip and sending it in separate parts is a little complicated.
Windows can create compressed zip folders natively: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ress-zip-files

1) Select the files/folders you want to zip
2) Then Right-Click -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder
3) Name the zip folder appropriately

You could also upload it to the Reaper Stash https://stash.reaper.fm/ and post just the link here.

Last edited by solger; 03-30-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #26
bombicri

Quote:
Stan
Did you succeed to ZIP your document?
If not just download free 7zip from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
I am very interested to read your explanations as I am also a newbie in Reaper + Zoom R16.
bombicri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
SuperKons

I have created a separate thread, regarding R16's younger brother, the R8.
I am trying to use it not as a Mackie Control, but as a standard MIDI controller, mainly to send across CC 1, 7, and 11, for my orchestral mock-ups. I have succeeded, in some way, in having the R8 sending across MIDI data from its faders, by enabling it for control messages, as well, in "MIDI devices". However, each fader is sending across "Pitch Wheel" MIDI data. I have overcome that, by putting ReaControlMIDI as an In FX onto my MIDI tracks, and re-assigning Mod Wheel, Expression, and Volume therein. If I close Reaper, and re-open it again, I am not able at all to get the R8 to send across MIDI data from the faders, despite not having touched the "MIDI devices" configuration.
SuperKons is offline   Reply With Quote