Old 02-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #1
gedggd
Human being with feelings

Default any Reaper on Mojave

Hello all

First of all i want to say that i was using Reaper for the last 2 years and its great DAW for my specific work, really best there is

Recently i have build Hackintosh and it runs really well.. BUT Reaper has its own thoughts how to run it

It just terrible.. Unworkable Daw compared to others running on MAC.

I was just thinking do developers understand and know how bad Reaper runs on MAC? its super slow, graphics just barely moving. And i have i good system, RX 560 (natively supported) 8700k

I have read some threads here but no advice or workaround worked, chh sad... back to windows then..
gedggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
weedboy

I'm running two genuine Macs and one hackintosh and also find it frustrating to work on Reaper on a Mac. It is barely usable even for basic tasks. I know new metal acceleration was supposed to fix this but I didn't see any improvement.
weedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
shanabit

Thought I read that there is a special version for the Hackintosh guys
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Patrice Brousseau

It's been a while since I used Reaper in Windows so it's hard for me to compare. Anyway, ok for me on an Early 2011 MBP (Reaper 4 Sierra) and two hacks (Haswell CPU's). Hackintoshes running latest Mojave and Reaper 6. One with an RX580 and the other with only a GT710.
I can't compare neither with Logic or another DAW as I only use Reaper.

Which audio interface are you using, how big are your projects?

Patrice
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
gedggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
It's been a while since I used Reaper in Windows so it's hard for me to compare. Anyway, ok for me on an Early 2011 MBP (Reaper 4 Sierra) and two hacks (Haswell CPU's). Hackintoshes running latest Mojave and Reaper 6. One with an RX580 and the other with only a GT710.
I can't compare neither with Logic or another DAW as I only use Reaper.

Which audio interface are you using, how big are your projects?

Patrice
i use only one huge audio file (audio books)
so its lightest project possible, i think the main problem is graphics, its super slow, and laggy, and im surprised because im using natively supported RX560

my interface is audient id4
Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Patrice Brousseau

4K screens? I use old monitors with relatively small resolutions (1050x1280). You're not the first one to notice lag under MacOS. As I've said, play head isn't laggy nor graphics for me... or I don't notice!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
weedboy

I think I see a pattern here Those who are ok with Reaper's performance are using only Macs, and haven't tried running it on Windows. And those who are bothered by Reaper's performance are coming from Windows or are using both Windows and Macs.

Basically, once you see Reaper running on Windows, you can't unsee it. It flies like a dream.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:22 AM   #8
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Thought I read that there is a special version for the Hackintosh guys
There is a special build for people running AMD CPU Hackintoshes but really real macs only use Intel so if you want a flawless machine you should only use Intel CPUs. Some plugins, for example, expect intel cpu instructions. I've heard there are issues with latency also using AMD. Sorry AMD fans but Intel is still king for Hackintosh. Intel is less power for the money but most apps won't make use of massive thread counts either.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:25 AM   #9
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedggd View Post
It just terrible.. Unworkable Daw compared to others running on MAC.

I was just thinking do developers understand and know how bad Reaper runs on MAC? its super slow, graphics just barely moving. And i have i good system, RX 560 (natively supported) 8700k
I'm also running a dual boot hack, Mojave, 8700K, Vega 64. I run one 34' ultrawide monitor which is UHD I think, but not 4k. I don't get any graphics lag. Sounds like an issue with your hardware setup. What are your specs? What SMBIOS are you using and do you get full hardware acceleration etc.

Last edited by Ideosound; 03-12-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
Monotremata

Works great here on a 2010 Mac Pro. Doesn't seem much different than running Logic Pro, if anything its a lot lighter of a load on the system heh. Not noticing any graphics lag whatsoever with an RX570, but I also dont use a 4k screen or multiple monitors.
Monotremata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:57 AM   #11
DrKev

I'm on a 2012 MBP retina running mopjave and I'm very happy but my usage is very light.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:40 AM   #12
gedggd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdIOlI81Fg&t=57s

This video shows exactly what i mean.

and no, theres nothing wrong with my system like i mentioned RX560 is natively supported.

can someone who tried Reaper on windows, try reaper on mac, and tell me that performance (graphics) is the same? i doubt it...
Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #13
weedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
I'm also running a dual boot hack, Mojave, 8700K, Vega 64. I run one 34' ultrawide monitor which is UHD I think, but not 4k. I don't get any graphics lag. Sounds like an issue with your hardware setup. What are your specs? What SMBIOS are you using and do you get full hardware acceleration etc.
Since you are already dual booting, did you try Reaper on both Mac OS and Windows? Is the performance the same?

I recently tried Reaper on a 2019 15inch Macbook Pro and performance was as bad as always. It was probably running on integrated graphics but still.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
weedboy

Here I made a quick comparison between Reaper and Ableton Live. Hopefully others can reproduce.

https://youtu.be/i8kKpgaprOI
Old 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #15
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedboy View Post
Here I made a quick comparison between Reaper and Ableton Live. Hopefully others can reproduce.

https://youtu.be/i8kKpgaprOI
You are comparing the smoothness of the auto scroll features?
Old 03-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
Ideosound

Quote:
Since you are already dual booting, did you try Reaper on both Mac OS and Windows? Is the performance the same?

I recently tried Reaper on a 2019 15inch Macbook Pro and performance was as bad as always. It was probably running on integrated graphics but still.
I tried Reaper on both platforms. In fact I was forced to use Win 10 reaper when I had an Nvidia GPU. Since there were issues with a plugin and Nvidia on Mac. Not an issue now I use AMD native GPUs. Seemed like same or similar performance. Just Reaper looks slightly better on Mac OS and core audio drivers are also better generally.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:43 PM   #17
weedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
You are comparing the smoothness of the auto scroll features?
I am comparing general GUI smoothness which is the same whether it's autoscroll or it's you who is scrolling, zooming etc. I just wanted to remove the human variable.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:51 AM   #18
Ideosound

Quote:
I am comparing general GUI smoothness which is the same whether it's autoscroll or it's you who is scrolling, zooming etc. I just wanted to remove the human variable.
Why don't you share your test project then I can try to see what my system does?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #19
weedboy

I don't think this is relevant anymore This is being fixed and hopefully comes in the upcoming releases. It is running so beautifully now. (in a current dev build)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #20
gedggd

Quote:
I don't think this is relevant anymore This is being fixed and hopefully comes in the upcoming releases. It is running so beautifully now. (in a current dev build)
which release? dev0316? it runs the same for me
Old 03-19-2020, 02:51 AM   #21
Ideosound

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdIOlI81Fg&t=57s

This video shows exactly what i mean.

and no, theres nothing wrong with my system like i mentioned RX560 is natively supported.

can someone who tried Reaper on windows, try reaper on mac, and tell me that performance (graphics) is the same? i doubt it...
Ok yes can defo see the issue here via the youtube link. Have you tried unticking 'allow retina drawing for non=hdpi themed elements (sharper text) under the advanced Ui settings?

I made a test video using my system, seems smooth and non-choppy

https://youtu.be/HcoTA1aqwE4
Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 AM   #22
gedggd

[QUOTE=Ideosound;2259033]Ok yes can defo see the issue here via the youtube link. Have you tried unticking 'allow retina drawing for non=hdpi themed elements (sharper text) under the advanced Ui settings?

I made a test video using my system, seems smooth and non-choppy

https://youtu.be/HcoTA1aqwE4[/QU

Thank you for the answer, yes, i have tried many different settings, and configurations, releases, and dev releases, and its not even close as smooth as in your video thats how Reaper suppose to work.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:37 AM   #23
weedboy

Quote:
which release? dev0316? it runs the same for me
Yeah, this release. Did you uncheck all three options in advanced GUI settings menu?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 13.33.57.jpg (45.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 05:10 AM   #24
gedggd

Quote:
Yeah, this release. Did you uncheck all three options in advanced GUI settings menu?
wow Thank you weedboy.
Yes now its really smooth, BUT if you notice meters still moving sluggish...grab an audio file, press play, and move it forwards and backwards, meters basically is still, i tried the same on windows, its more responsive, but i cant deny, its way better than it was before. maybe usable.. will test more

ok its almost there, the probelm is zooming in and out and cursor following is super slow and sluggish and some how jumpy.. i cant describe it, its not precise and smooth..

Last edited by gedggd; 03-19-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:52 AM   #25
Ideosound

Quote:
On the dev build - this is that option in the changelog -

add prefs/general/advanced options to disable mousewheel/swipe/move throttling

So this can help with graphics lag on mac? (not slow meters it sounds like however)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #26
weedboy

Quote:
wow Thank you weedboy.
Yes now its really smooth, BUT if you notice meters still moving sluggish...grab an audio file, press play, and move it forwards and backwards, meters basically is still, i tried the same on windows, its more responsive, but i cant deny, its way better than it was before. maybe usable.. will test more

ok its almost there, the probelm is zooming in and out and cursor following is super slow and sluggish and some how jumpy.. i cant describe it, its not precise and smooth..
Well yeah, it didn't fix everything for me too. Although my meters are smooth, but the playhead is still lagy, and autoscroll ir still choppy. If I open a buch of heavier plugin windows it gets worse. But that doesn't bother me as much. Its nice that at least some of the human-reaper interaction has been smoothed out. Which is the most annoying for me, when you act and the program doesn't react the way it should.

Hopefully this can be improved further, but I am happy that at least some improvement was made.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #27
Phazma

This is so amazing that they are working on it! I checked the current pre-release build and couldn't believe it when I tested it! Still it seems to be choppy when the scrolling movement approaches the end. I posted about my experience also in the current pre-release thread (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233293) with a video link showing my experience.
Do you guys experience it like this as well?
Let's hope they will go into detail with developing this feature!
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #28
Tonehenge

Default Check this thread out....

I stumbled into a situation where changing the colour profile on all 3 of my monitors to "Apple Cinema Display" eased the laggy graphics issues substantially on my rig....

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233786
Old 04-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #29
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
I stumbled into a situation where changing the colour profile on all 3 of my monitors to "Apple Cinema Display" eased the laggy graphics issues substantially on my rig....

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233786
Be aware that your Serial Number is visible in your pics...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #30
Tonehenge

Default I'm an idiot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
Be aware that your Serial Number is visible in your pics...

Thanks for the heads up...I've clipped it off....