Old 03-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default SWS Load/Paste FX Chain to item

I used to have a shortcut to load/paste an existing FX chain to an item, I think it was in the SWS extensions.

I recently started using REAPER's new native shortcut to load/paste an existing saved FX chain to an item but I don't like it because it always shows you the last inserted plugin instead of the plugin GUI that was open when then FX chain was saved like the SWS version did.

That being said, I can no longer find the SWS version I was using and I want to switch back. Did it get removed in light of the native REAPER version?

Can anybody point me in the right direction if this older option still exists?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
EvilDragon

You might be looking for the SWS Resources window.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You might be looking for the SWS Resources window.
Yes, thanks. I can see that is where I still have something programmed (see image at the bottom of this post).

I guess I'm struggling to remember how to assign a shortcut to that so I can paste the FX chain to a selected item.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I used to have a shortcut to load/paste an existing FX chain to an item, I think it was in the SWS extensions.

I recently started using REAPER's new native shortcut to load/paste an existing saved FX chain to an item but I don't like it because it always shows you the last inserted plugin instead of the plugin GUI that was open when then FX chain was saved...
+1
That's a problem for me too.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
+1
That's a problem for me too.
I've mentioned it on the pre-release forum and made a feature request but haven't seen a response so I'm not counting on it getting fixed.

So...back to the SWS version I go so when I load an item FX chain, the plugin I want to see first is visible which in my case is the 2nd plugin in the chain.

I wasn't sure if I was using a new plugin that was causing the GUI to focus the last plugin but it sounds like it's a REAPER thing.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
EvilDragon

The thing is that the last shown effect is not stored anywhere in an FX chain preset, so Reaper can't really know which one to show, so it just shows the last one. Personally, I'd be happier if it just didn't show anything after FX chain is pasted/loaded... I'll open the one I want to see myself.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
nofish

Quote:
I guess I'm struggling to remember how to assign a shortcut to that so I can paste the FX chain to a selected item.
via Action list, e.g. "SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot 1"
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
via Action list, e.g. "SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot 1"
Ah, thanks!

Low and behold, I changed my shortcut from the new REAPER action back to this one that you helped me find and when I pasted my default FX chain, and then use the action "Show FX chain for item take", the plugin I normally want to see first is now the one that always appears.

@ EvilDragon
, FWIW, this SWS/S&M action doesn't actually automatically open the FX window or any plugins, it just pastes the FX on the item...then I use "Show FX chain for item take" to open the FX chain window if I want edit the plugins which I normally do right away. Either way, it's nice that when I do call up the FX window that my preferred plugin is visible instead of the last plugin in the chain.

Thanks for your help guys.

The funny this is, I normally do want the FX window to pop up after I paste my default FX chain to an item so this actually inspired me to create a custom action that does both things:

SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot 1
Show FX chain for item take

And as a bonus my preferred plugin is the one that somehow always appears first.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Ah, thanks!

SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot 1
Show FX chain for item take

And as a bonus my preferred plugin is the one that somehow always appears first.

just tried this custom action,dont know if its meant to do this,but here it always opens the last used fx chain on a item,whenever i use the action,i would like to choose wich fx chain i load on a item?
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
just tried this custom action,dont know if its meant to do this,but here it always opens the last used fx chain on a item,whenever i use the action,i would like to choose wich fx chain i load on a item?
I honestly don't fully remember how I set this up but at some point I came up with a default FX chain that I wanted to use for items in mastering as a starting point. Not with any settings applied yet but just my favorite plugins ready to go.

I have it assigned so that I can select an item, press control + F and an FX chain that I have assigned as my default gets appleid to that item and it always shows me that FX chain and a certain plugin by default.

It had something to do with using the Resources option in the extensions menu. Maybe the attached images will help.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
whenever i use the action,i would like to choose wich fx chain i load on a item?
In the Resources window, you can load different FX chains into different slots (like JP Start.RfxChain is loaded in Slot 1 in MRMJP's screenshot above).
These FX chain slots can then be accessed, for instance, via the corresponding 'SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot <insert slot number 1,2,3,4 or last here>' Action.

Although this video is for Track FX (and not Item FX), it might provide some hints in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOy5x0sVbqw
Old 01-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In the Resources window, you can load different FX chains into different slots (like JP Start.RfxChain is loaded in Slot 1 in MRMJP's screenshot above).
These FX chain slots can then be accessed, for instance, via the corresponding 'SWS/S&M: Resources - Paste FX chain to selected items, slot <insert slot number 1,2,3,4 or last here>' Action.

Although this video is for Track FX (and not Item FX), it might provide some hints in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOy5x0sVbqw
ahh i get it nowthanks will try to set this up tommorow
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote