Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
barbaroja
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper.ini getting corrupted quite often

I can get this corruptions all day long. If I close reaper and reopen again, looks different, doesn't remember settings, UI tweaks, etc.

If anyone knows why this may be happening, suggestions are welcome.

I have my .ini file backed up and thats how I recovered my setup.

Still a PITA to have to rewrite it 2 or 3 times a day just because.
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm maybe you're running one copy as administrator or in a portable install? Or you don't have write permissions to the reaper.ini in question?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm maybe you're running one copy as administrator or in a portable install? Or you don't have write permissions to the reaper.ini in question?
Hi, Justin.

Nope, no portable install nor administrator rights to run reaper. I have read some other forum posts with similar issues. How can I help to resolve this?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Post a corrupted copy?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Post a corrupted copy?
Ok, I will, as soon as I get back to work and it happens again. Thanks, happy sock.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

When you open REAPER, you can also go to "Options->Show REAPER Resource Path" to see what path it is using for your configuration state... See if it is an unexpected path?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
woogish

is it possible set ini file as read only?
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
barbaroja

Quote:
When you open REAPER, you can also go to "Options->Show REAPER Resource Path" to see what path it is using for your configuration state... See if it is an unexpected path?
C:\Users\SAM\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

Can a control surface plugin or startup actions scripts mess up the file?
Are scripts and plugins allowed to write that file? Or take a lot of time to write so a quick reaper restart can corrupt the file by leaving it mid-updated?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
barbaroja

Posting both files. I see the end is very different.

Last edited by barbaroja; 04-29-2023 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
barbaroja

Man, this is really a thing... 5 times today...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

It looks a lot like something read/wrote reaper.ini and truncated it. Do you have any scripts that could do something like that?
Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
barbaroja

Quote:
It looks a lot like something read/wrote reaper.ini and truncated it. Do you have any scripts that could do something like that?
I run multiple scripts. Is there a way to know if a script can do that?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Any script or extension could. Is there any way you can introduce scripts and extensions one at a time until you figure out which one is causing the problem?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #14
barbaroja

Quote:
Any script or extension could. Is there any way you can introduce scripts and extensions one at a time until you figure out which one is causing the problem?
Alright. I did so. Scripts and things running are

Glue tools
DrivenbyMoss plugin
Track inspector
Sws extensions
Dirac live vst on monitoring chain (sometimes crashes but does not corrup the ini)

I disabled DrivenbyMoss and have no corruptions today. Is there a way to prevent it to write the ini other than disabling it completely?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
analogexplosions

Just to chime in on this, same thing has occasionally happened to me too. I am also using DrivenByMoss so I can use my Ableton Push 2 with Reaper.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Alright. I did so. Scripts and things running are

Glue tools
DrivenbyMoss plugin
Track inspector
Sws extensions
Dirac live vst on monitoring chain (sometimes crashes but does not corrup the ini)

I disabled DrivenbyMoss and have no corruptions today. Is there a way to prevent it to write the ini other than disabling it completely?
If that plugin is the problem, it's probably writing to the ini file intentionally to store its configuration. If we could see the source code we could maybe offer a suggested fix for the plugin.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #17
barbaroja

Quote:
If that plugin is the problem, it's probably writing to the ini file intentionally to store its configuration. If we could see the source code we could maybe offer a suggested fix for the plugin.
Moss is a pretty helpful person. I'm sure he would be happy to collaborate. Plus, his plugin is amazing.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:01 AM   #18
moss

Quote:
Hi Schwa!

Thanks for chiming in! Yes, I write to the INI file to change some settings, which are not available via the Reaper API. It never happened to me that the file gets damaged but it could happen that a write by Reaper itself or another script might interfere.
I would be very happy if you could point me to a better solution or maybe I overlooked a function in the API (if not that would be great to have in the future).

Cheers!
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #19
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Hi Schwa!

Thanks for chiming in! Yes, I write to the INI file to change some settings, which are not available via the Reaper API. It never happened to me that the file gets damaged but it could happen that a write by Reaper itself or another script might interfere.
I would be very happy if you could point me to a better solution or maybe I overlooked a function in the API (if not that would be great to have in the future).

Cheers!
Dang I know nothing about programming but I'm super happy to see this first collab between some great minds due to my complain 🤣
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Hi Moss! If you need to write to .ini files, definitely use the Read/WritePrivateProfile* functions, which are native on Windows and defined in SWELL for non-Windows. If you are only accessing ini files to work around gaps in the REAPER API, maybe we can fill in those gaps. Feel free to write us at support at cockos if you'd like to talk more specifically.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
moss

Quote:
Hi Moss! If you need to write to .ini files, definitely use the Read/WritePrivateProfile* functions, which are native on Windows and defined in SWELL for non-Windows. If you are only accessing ini files to work around gaps in the REAPER API, maybe we can fill in those gaps. Feel free to write us at support at cockos if you'd like to talk more specifically.
Thanks for the hints! I was not aware of the WritePrivateProfile functions, I only checked the API documentation.

Regarding API wishes:
- functions to write/update groove and quantize settings
- a function to quantize a MIDI clip with the quantize amount as a parameter (more options from the dialog would be nice)
- a documentation of all API functions and their parameters would be very helpful!

Thanks!
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
- a documentation of all API functions and their parameters would be very helpful!
It can be minimal in some cases, but you know that REAPER can generate API documentation, right? Help > ReaScript documentation will generate the HTML docs, then click C/C++ here:

Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #23
barbaroja

Quote:
Just to hijack this thread, after speaking with Michael from MPL scripts about his RS5K script and reading Moss thread on his plugin, it seems necessary to have an API so there is a way to "listen" on a channel midi clip playback and midi input so they can inform scripts and plugins of incoming notes. This way RS5K may flash notes as well as DrivenByMoss if you are using a pad instrument.

Pure awesomeness.

PD: Thanks for fixing the plugin, Moss