Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
curse
Human being with feelings

Default Crash - lost all my vocal tracks! Help!

I spent all morning singing my guts out, did a little mix and rendered to show my bandmate - and while rendering, Reaper crashed and when I restarted it, all the vocals are gone! surely they must've been saved somewhere????
curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
reapercurious

did you save your project at some point?

there is a reaper media folder where the takes should be, just sort the files in that folder and listen to the newest ones.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
ivansc

You will be looking for a (projectname).bak file if you had auto backups going, if not and you had already saved the project by hand there should still be both the original .wav files and a .bak file you can salvage.

Too late to help you , but first Welcome to the forums, second grab the free User Guide and check out some of the excellent free video tutorials.

Here: https://www.reaper.fm/
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Byron Dickens

Control + S is your friend. I learned a long time ago to save often. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe the feeling when several hours of work vanishes in an instant.
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
serr

Just posted this note in another thread...

Reaper records an and of file mark with every chunk of data. That means if the power plug is pulled (or your OS crashes), the audio files are still valid files and complete up to the cut off. They will still be on your drive in the folder you were recording to.

If the crash happened after recording (after hitting stop), the files will be perfectly intact and complete. You can use 'Move item to source position' to put it back to its timestamp where it was recorded (if not zero on the timeline).

The only thing that might be "wrong" with the truncated files if you crashed during recording is that they may not have had their header updated with the size and time stamp. (That usually gets written only after hitting stop.) So the files will contain the audio intact but the header might be reporting the wrong length if the crash happened during recording. (Reaper will let you play the whole file anyway though. Just render/glue it to make a new copy with a valid header.) If the file was started into the project - not at zero on the timeline - this time stamp may be lost. In this case you will have to manually line it back up with the other project audio yourself.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
ivansc

Useful!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
barrymk

Setting Reaper to Autosave every 5 minutes in Prefs has saved my arse several times. Love those rpp.bak files!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Setting Reaper to Autosave every 5 minutes in Prefs has saved my arse several times. Love those rpp.bak files!
Yes sir! Every 3 minutes here.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 AM   #9
johnss

IF you haved saved it at least once, do a undelete on the saved drive and then find the files
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote