Old 04-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default Ducking Comp Help

Howdy all, I am wanting to try something I have never done before. I can't figure out how to do it.

"I want to compress the drums and bass every time the vocal is on.I would like to pull it down a couple db"

I figured I needed to send the drums, percussion, and bass guitar to a buss. I put a comp on that buss. But I can't figure out how to setup the vocal. or if i am even going about this right.

Please help. Thank you for your time
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
lunker

You are mostly there.

1) Send the drums, percussion, and bass to a buss track on channels 1/2.

2) Send the vocals to the *same* buss track on channels 3/4.

3) Set the compressor on the buss track to compress channels 1/2 based on what it receives on channels 3/4. Depending on which compressor you use, it may call the input for channels 3/4 "side chain", "detector", "auxiliary input" or something like that.

You can see an example of how to do side-chain compression with ReaComp in this guide (scroll down to ReaComp): https://audioordeal.co.uk/guide-to-r...plugins-reaeq/

Last edited by lunker; 04-22-2021 at 04:01 PM.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
You are mostly there.

3) Set the compressor on the buss track to compress channels 1/2 based on what it receives on channels 3/4. Depending on which compressor you use, it may call the input for channels 3/4 Side chain," "detector," "auxiliary input" or something like that.

You can see an example of how to do side-chain compression with ReaComp in this guide (scroll down to ReaComp): https://audioordeal.co.uk/guide-to-r...plugins-reaeq/
thank you so much for a fast response. Let me see if I can sort this out.

Ok, I have drums on Track 1, percussion on Track 2, bass on Track 3, and Vocals on Track 4.

I need to send tracks 1, 2, and 3 to Buss 1. I need to put a compressor on Buss 1. Then I send track 4 vox to Buss 1? Did I get all this right?
Old 04-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
karbomusic

You can put the drums/bass in a folder just as easily if that feels simpler, then place reacomp on the folder... and another trick IIRC is you can drag the vocal's IO button onto ReaComp directly and it will automap 1/2 to 3/4 for you - just confirm the input detection in reacomp is set to 3/4 if it doesn't do it automatically via the drag and drop.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can put the drums/bass in a folder just as easily if that feels simpler... and another trick IIRC is you can drag the vocal's IO button onto ReaComp directly and it will automap 1/2 to 3/4 for you - just confirm the input detection in reacomp is set to 3/4 if it doesn't do it automatically via the drag and drop.
thanks for your response. I am starting to think, I have to use a compressor that is made to do this? Not all comp plugs will do what I need?
Old 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
You are mostly there.

3) Set the compressor on the buss track to compress channels 1/2 based on what it receives on channels 3/4. Depending on which compressor you use, it may call the input for channels 3/4 "side chain", "detector", "auxiliary input" or something like that.

is what I am trying to do called "Side Chain"? And is that the only name of guys use for this setup?
Old 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
thanks for your response. I am starting to think, I have to use a compressor that is made to do this? Not all comp plugs will do what I need?
Many but not all compressors have an external/side-chain input which is the feature you need here. ReaComp is the simplest, which also has that feature, that everyone here is going to know and easily help with.

There are probably other ways to skin this cat regardless of compressor but my suggestion is to learn to set it up with something simple, like a folder track + ReaComp to get your feet wet and keep confusion down.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
Fergler

Quote:
Stock ReaComp will do it
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
karbomusic

^See what I mean.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #10
Jimmy James

Quote:
^See what I mean.
thank you! I will use Reacomp for this.

I have always used a buss. Only because I know what a buss is. And everyone in the old studios a few decades back, called them a buss.
i have never used "folders" before. I will try and figure out how to use folders instead of making a buss.
I have some good info in this thread. I might be able to figure this out now! Thank you all
Old 04-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
karbomusic

A buss is fine if that is what you are used to. I only mentioned folders because they are typically simpler to deal with and visibly show the tracks feeding them. There is no need for a folder if you are already comfortable with using a buss.

If you did want to use a folder, just create a new track. CTRL+Click each track you want in the folder to select them all, then just drag that onto the new track and it will auto-create the folder - you can tell because a little blue line will appear showing the indent as you drag...

Old 04-23-2021, 04:52 AM   #12
Gibson_GM

I found this to be a helpful tutorial on the subject.

Another good free plugin to use with this is TDR Nova, BTW, after mastering ReaComp. I use it to lower a band of EQ to make another part stand out, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tt5yWOxB2E
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
Jimmy James

Quote:
Many but not all compressors have an external/side-chain input which is the feature you need here. ReaComp is the simplest, which also has that feature, that everyone here is going to know and easily help with.

There are probably other ways to skin this cat regardless of compressor but my suggestion is to learn to set it up with something simple, like a folder track + ReaComp to get your feet wet and keep confusion down.
I can't figure out the difference between a "Buss" and "Folders". Are they the exact same thing? DO most Reaper users use Folders instead of a buss? And why?
Thank you for your patience and great info
Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
I can't figure out the difference between a "Buss" and "Folders". Are they the exact same thing? DO most Reaper users use Folders instead of a buss? And why?
Thank you for your patience and great info
Functionally they are mostly the same. I tend to use folders instead of busses out of sheer convenience... The sub tracks are always in the folder, creating and routing is as quick and nifty as the screen grab above. I can collapse the folder to save screen real estate and so on but it's really your choice so I wouldn't sweat it really.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #15
Jimmy James

Quote:
Functionally they are mostly the same. I tend to use folders instead of busses out of sheer convenience... The sub tracks are always in the folder, creating and routing is as quick and nifty as the screen grab above. I can collapse the folder to save screen real estate and so on but it's really your choice so I wouldn't sweat it really.
Cool! Man, thank you so much. You have helped a lot. I do like the idea of being able to collapse fast and easy. I can't do that with a buss. SO I think I will experiment with folders down the road as a "added bonus" to the new things I am learning.
Oh, when using the folder system, is the first track in the chain like the buss? If I had all the drum tracks in folders, and i wanted to compress the group. Would I just put a comp on the very first track?
Old 04-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_GM View Post
I found this to be a helpful tutorial on the subject.

Another good free plugin to use with this is TDR Nova, BTW, after mastering ReaComp. I use it to lower a band of EQ to make another part stand out, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tt5yWOxB2E
thank you so much! All the videos helped, but this one sealed the deal. I still don't know "why" I do some of the things, but I have made it all work. I will keep checking this video and try and burn it in my brain.

Thank you to everyone in this thread. Every poster helped me so much. I am so happy I have made this work!

IS there anything else anyone wants to add? Anything you guys wish you knew when you started using Sidechain?
Old 04-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #17
Jimmy James

I set it to "pre-fader" as he did in the video tutorial. Does this mean I can also use Volume Automation on the vocal track and not ruin the side chain? And if so, is this "overkill"
Old 04-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
I set it to "pre-fader" as he did in the video tutorial. Does this mean I can also use Volume Automation on the vocal track and not ruin the side chain? And if so, is this "overkill"
Yes, exactly. And pre-FX means you'll get dry signal.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Yes, exactly. And pre-FX means you'll get dry signal.
thanks man, the pre-fx makes this trick even better
Old 04-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #20
Jimmy James

Quote:
When I use folders, let's say it is a drum group. I always have my kick drum first. If I put all the drum tracks in a folder and want to compress or eq them. Do I put my plugs on the kick drum (the first track in the folders) ????
Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
When I use folders, let's say it is a drum group. I always have my kick drum first. If I put all the drum tracks in a folder and want to compress or eq them. Do I put my plugs on the kick drum (the first track in the folders) ????
Consider folder as a group. If you want to compress all the drums, then add fx to the folder. If you need to tune only kick or snare etc., then you'll put fx on their tracks.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Remember, all audio of child tracks flows through the folder track as if it were a buss by default. So, to put FX on all drums like a buss, is to put FX on the folder track when it's a folder...

Also notice the indent shows that the individual drum tracks are inside the folder named "All Drums":

Old 04-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #23
Jimmy James

thanks so much guys. I think I see now. When I do the folder thing. If I want to treat it as a buss, I need to add a new track as the "parent" track. This new empty track can be used to process the entire group.
Thank you all!
Old 04-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #24
locombiano

I would suggest this video, it explains the small differences between Folders and Busses and also explains the very useful VCA's:

https://youtu.be/P62cSnHY7IA

One important thing, you can use folders to add FX's like filters or EQ to the tracks in the folder but don't touch the fader of a folder because it will affects sends and returns, the video is self explanatory.
locombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #25
sostenuto

Feel like this should be a 'Sticky' ..... whether here or in newbieland.

Good stuff by capable Reaperites !
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote