Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
moribund
Human being with feelings

Default intel turboboost?

Hey all;

Just picked up an i7 laptop, and am in the process of optimizing it for recording. It's billed as a 2.2GHz processor with and it has hyperthreading and TurboBoost. What's the current thought on TurboBoost? I've turned off core parking and disabled SpeedStep in the BIOS, but according to CPU-Z, it's still dynamically changing speeds.

Is this something that may disrupt smooth recording? If so, how can I get it to stay at a consistent speed?

Thanks
moribund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
EvilDragon

https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Jason Lyon

Actually not a huge issue - your CPU clock speed shouldn't affect recording and playback timings these days. Well, unless you're running an absolute VSTi-packed whopper of a project. And I mean a real whopper. I've comfortably run up to a hundred multiplugged tracks on a laptop.

I currently have a 6820K and set the overclock to a few 100 under its advertised turbo speed. Never had any problems. Actually, I never had any problems before I overclocked the thing...

I think you'll be fine if you just give any i7 16GB of RAM and an SSD to play with. It'll be a very happy puppy.

But the first thing to do is strip W10 processes to the bone. The OS loads a lot of junk by default, and the problem isn't memory capacity, but constant, pointless CPU calls as Cortana or some other rubbish is just dying for you to idly ask about last-minute deals on Taylor Swift concert tickets or convert inches to ohms or something...

You should certainly disable MS automatic info gathering. By default, it's there, cheerfully logging away, munching on processor cycles...
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote