Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
MotionMindz
Human being with feelings

Default Generic Synth Patch editor in Reaper using Reabanks?

Would love to see a synth/Fx editor in Reaper that uses Reabanks to select patches, hit an Edit button and then be able to directly edit patches (ADSR, filter etc) of a JD990 or Kurzweil for example.
If Reabanks work in communicating with a synth, I would think the next step would not be so hard to work out?
All this could further be re-used when MIDI is abandoned and OSC for example will take over.
MotionMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
bradleyfilms
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionMindz View Post
If Reabanks work in communicating with a synth, I would think the next step would not be so hard to work out?
A lot harder than you imagine. The parameters do not have the same name or position in the list from synth to synth.
Here's a for instance, imagine just altering a filters frequency. How would you tell Reaper which of the parameters is the filter frequency to change?
If you think going down the MIDI learn path would work, consider that you'd need a snapshot for every patch, and multiply that file size for every patch on every bank on every synth. The files would become ginormous very quickly.
Quote:
All this could further be re-used when MIDI is abandoned and OSC for example will take over.
Lols, MIDI isn't going to be abandoned for quite a while, probably not in my lifetime.
Steve