Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
wjtoms
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper is now crashing out of the blue

I'm getting a 'reaper host_32.exe' crash out of the blue now. I've gone through all the threads related to this crash issue on the board here, ran the VST as a dedicated process and it's still happening.

What really makes me scratch my head is that I'm only running one VST at the time it happens - Amplitube 2 Live, or the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite. This is my 3rd project with Reaper and I haven't experienced any issues like this until now. I haven't installed any new plugins or VSTs recently either.

I've been praising Reaper and have loved it..up until now. This is very concerning, as I had these same issues with every other DAW I've tried.

PC Specs are:

Athlon AMD II 64-bit X4 2.80 GHz - 8GB of RAM

I'm running Reaper 4.602 64-bit

Thanks for your help
wjtoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please post the crash logs as described here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653

That you get this instability on every host may point much to a general problem with your system, rather than a problem with the host software(s).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
wjtoms

Thanks for your reply Ollie.

I would put the crash report up here but when I went to look at the manual to find out how to get the report it wouldn't load for me.

You may be right, it could be my machine. But I can't see how. It's more than powerful enough for DAW production.

I found out something interesting last night while using Acid - which I went back to after Reaper kept crashing on me. reaper host_32.exe was running in the background even when I had Reaper closed and it was using 30% of my CPU load. It was crashing Acid. When I stopped the process and re-loaded my project in Acid, recorded another track and added plugins to it it ran fine. Any idea what that's about?

I will say one thing - Amplitube Live 2 crashes both DAWs. Actually, Acid doesn't crash, the VST just stops working. So it's obviously incompatible. I have better luck with a free amp sim.

Lastly, I just opened up Reaper to look for a crash report option and it crashed on me without anything running - empty project.

I have no idea what to do.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtoms View Post
I found out something interesting last night while using Acid - which I went back to after Reaper kept crashing on me. reaper host_32.exe was running in the background even when I had Reaper closed and it was using 30% of my CPU load. It was crashing Acid. When I stopped the process and re-loaded my project in Acid, recorded another track and added plugins to it it ran fine. Any idea what that's about?
reaper host_32.exe is the bridging program for your 32bit plugins.
When your plugin crashed this component coundn't be released for some reason and continued running until you shut it down.

Quote:
I will say one thing - Amplitube Live 2 crashes both DAWs. Actually, Acid doesn't crash, the VST just stops working. So it's obviously incompatible. I have better luck with a free amp sim.
Try the free version of Amplitube and just install the 64bit plugin. Worth a try and you won't need to use Reaper's bridge.

Quote:
Lastly, I just opened up Reaper to look for a crash report option and it crashed on me without anything running - empty project.
Take a look at what is running in the background. You'd be looking for software that controls your soundcard.
The crash reports aren't in Reaper. Follow Ollie's link to find them on your system.
Steve
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
wjtoms

Thanks for the response Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
reaper host_32.exe is the bridging program for your 32bit plugins.
When your plugin crashed this component coundn't be released for some reason and continued running until you shut it down.
Yes, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Try the free version of Amplitube and just install the 64bit plugin. Worth a try and you won't need to use Reaper's bridge.
I'm scratching my head as to why I would go from a paid version of Amplitube to a free one. Anyway, I did try the free Amplitube 3 and it crashed as well. In fact, it crashes all DAWs I've tried. I also can't get to my Amplitube 2 Live presets through the Amplitube 3 interface.

Amplitube is resource intensive from I can see. So I won't be using it much anymore. Perhaps in a 'record what you hear' context via the standalone application, but I won't use their VST.

Quote:
Take a look at what is running in the background. You'd be looking for software that controls your soundcard.
The crash reports aren't in Reaper. Follow Ollie's link to find them on your system.
Steve
I have already looked at what is running in the background and even after turning off the processes that aren't needed Reaper crashed with an empty project open. And reaper host_32.exe wasn't running at that point.

I then recorded some guitar, applied the SimulAnalog amp sim to the recording and Reaper crashed again.

I will take another look at Ollie's link to see if I can find the crash report.

For me at this point, if the VST bridging exe is crashing Reaper then I won't be able to use it. I need to use VSTs when producing.

I've been experimenting using Sony Acid 7 Pro with a number of recordings and VSTs and it's running fine. The only time it did crash was when the Reaper bridging exe was running.

I do appreciate the assistance from you both. Thanks.

I may have to go back to Acid if it's working for me. Which is sad because I really thought Reaper would be my DAW of choice.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
thequietroom

I apologize for the somewhat sarcastic reply in your other thread. I can empathize with your frustration. I also have been having some stability issues on my 7 yr old DAW. I recently reloaded windows, and I can be productive, but its a total buzz kill when half the time I'm restarting or reloading projects in safe mode etc..

After using Reaper for a long time, and I have to say I am pretty sure my current issues are in all probability, with my PC. In the past, I had similar issues of unexplainable instability that turned out to be a power supply failing. Only when it fried completely could I tell what was going wrong.

I hope that's not the case for you. I'm confident if you take the time to go step by step with the helpful folks here on the forums, you will find out what the problem is, and with some luck, will find a resolution that will get you back in business. Good luck
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
jazzmandan

I have always found Reaper to be extremely stable. I can't remember the last time it froze or crashed, but I am sure if it did it was due to a plugin issue.

You have to find compatible plugins. Try first by avoiding any mismatch of 32 and 64 bit with your Reaper. By the way, I run Amplitube 2 on Reaper 64x but have never heard of SimulAnalog Guitar Suite so I looked it up:

imulAnalog Guitar Suite?

This suite is not a commercial product. It is born inside an academic research project about the modelling of electric devices, and then applied to the musical instrument field as an evolution of the techniques currently available in some commercial units. Its most important feature is the extremely high precision of the simulation, which is about indistinguishable from the original sound.

ARE YOU SURE THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM?
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!

Last edited by jazzmandan; 03-10-2014 at 03:41 PM.
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
barefaced

Default try reaper 32 bit

Hi,

have you tried the 32 Bit version of reaper (deinstall the 64 bit version and install the 32 bit version)?
You might give it a try if you don't use 64bit plugins.Amplitube 2 and simulAnalog are 32bit as far as I know.

I use the 32bit version without any problems (actualy I only need 32bit plugins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtoms View Post
I'm getting a 'reaper host_32.exe' crash out of the blue now. I've gone through all the threads related to this crash issue on the board here, ran the VST as a dedicated process and it's still happening.

What really makes me scratch my head is that I'm only running one VST at the time it happens - Amplitube 2 Live, or the SimulAnalog Guitar Suite. This is my 3rd project with Reaper and I haven't experienced any issues like this until now. I haven't installed any new plugins or VSTs recently either.

I've been praising Reaper and have loved it..up until now. This is very concerning, as I had these same issues with every other DAW I've tried.

PC Specs are:

Athlon AMD II 64-bit X4 2.80 GHz - 8GB of RAM

I'm running Reaper 4.602 64-bit

Thanks for your help
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
wjtoms

Thanks for the insight folks, but there's no need to respond any further. I've requested my money back for Reaper and will no longer be using it.

I will answers some of your questions, however, as you took the time to try to help me.

I did try the 32-bit version of Reaper and it caused the same issues - crashing for no apparent reason. Even when just having an empty project open.

My PC is in very good working order. It isn't brand new, but the majority of the parts for it are. Power supply, fans, RAM, all power cords etc. I also use high-end RCA Y-cables and instrument patch cords.

Amplitube 2 Live has crashed every DAW I've ever used it in. SimulAnalog hasn't. Regardless of whether or not it's free. Personally, I don't think it matters whether a DAW/VST/Plugin etc is free or not. It's either compatible, or it isn't.

Take Audacity for example. Personally, I've put that thing through hell and have never seen it crash. And I'll say that if it had more capabilities I'd be using it over any other DAW. In a heartbeat. But it's free for a reason - it's limited in it's abilities.

I always do research on VSTs before I install them and try to use them inside a DAW. Always. But let's face it, are the larger companies going to admit there might be some issues for some people when they're trying to sell a product? Of course not.

I've gone back to Acid and Sonar X3 for now and they seem to be holding up quite well. As long as they do I'll be using them.

Take care and all the best in your musical endeavors.