Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #41
Bazzbass
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Perfect Answer! This was all I was hoping for from the beginning! That's it!
Thank You, MusicMan!

Jason:

I read your comments and I understand what you're saying and appreciate it very much.

However, like I said just a few posts ago ...... I give up!

For me, it is just not worth the drama and stress I get from all the accusations of wanting to try to achieve some pie in the sky this or that, whatever it is ..... From my point of view, I never have intended to do so from the day I started asking questions here!!

Most of my questions were out of curiosity rather than attempting to be a PRO DJ or music mixer by tomorrow afternoon!!

Moving forward, I will be continuing to watch videos on YouTube by Kenny Gioia and other popular guys and just do the best I can with what I learn there!

Beyond that, I truly feel there is nothing more I can do ........

For me, trying to get information here is becoming increasingly unpleasant!
far out dude you have a problem dealing with human beings.
This is without doubt the friendliest, most knowledgable bunch of humans you will find on ANY forum.
Yes it IS best you don't come around here no more, seriously you need counselling or meds or something. I have no time for people like you.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #42
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Lots of accolades for this one around here. Guess I'll have to try it!
(I assume it can do cuts as well.)
Yah, seems to be a not-so-secret-anymore weapon. Serr, interested to hear what you think of it especially re quality, it sounds good to me but I'm guessing you're more concerned with and able to judge the quality of the effects than I am.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #43
bezusheist

ReaFir is a joke...very poor quality. Don’t know how anyone can use it.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #44
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
far out dude you have a problem dealing with human beings.
This is without doubt the friendliest, most knowledgable bunch of humans you will find on ANY forum.
Yes it IS best you don't come around here no more, seriously you need counselling or meds or something. I have no time for people like you.
Hey, back off him. Your second statement completely undermines your first.
Sometimes people have bad days, you know. We all get frustrated sometimes.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #45
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I use linear phase EQ for parallel work. Let's you work in "layers" when that speaks to you. Noise reduction needing work is more restoration of troubled recordings from the past here. Izotope RX is my goto for that.
Thanks for the tip about Izotope. As sheer chance would have it, I happen to be currently wrestling with a project where it could be very useful.

An extremely good vocal, but she recorded it at home and seemingly sitting by the fridge... sigh.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #46
sjs94704

Just poking my head in again to say I did find what I was looking for.

I had purchased Melda Productions MTurboReverb. What prompted my original question in the first place was I was only looking in MEqualizer.

However, in MTurboReverb it turns out there are choices for a whole bunch of different instruments and within each instrument, there are also several choices.

So, in this case, one of the instrument categories was PIANO. Within that category there are 5 settings:

-Dreamy spectral verb
-Hall
-Piano Verb
-Electric Piano Sweetening
-Piano Harmonizer

These are just the names they decided to call each setting in this category.

So, I applied the Electric Piano Sweetening setting to my track and 'as is' sounds great! Much better than without it ...

Of course, as with any reverb, I am free to then make any adjustment I feel I need to if I want! It just took me a minute to find this setting. At first, I did not think to even look for it in MTurboReverb only because I have not yet had the opportunity to get familiar enough to know it was there.
In all, MTurboReverb has 151 settings:

-Acoustic Guitar (9)
-Drums (20)
-Electric Guitar (11)
-Instruments (1 = percussion)
-Orchestral (4)
-Piano (5)
-Synth (8)
-Vocal (20)

And I downloaded a free package of additional ones that can be used for a variety of purposes and there are 57 of those.

All of these are customizable.

So, there you go!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:30 AM   #47
Jason Lyon

I'm confused but interested. Haven't played around with Melda stuff, so is there some kind of interaction between modules or does it seem that the OP wound up getting what he wanted from reverb rather than EQ?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #48
sjs94704

Jason:

Thanks for asking. Both MTurboReverb & MEqualizer are separate plugins and you are not required to use the two together.

As you know, a lot has been said in this thread about presets. And, yes, as described in post #46 of this thread I found one that is made just for electric piano and I pretty much came across it by accident. As I also mentioned, this preset is fully customizable.

BTW, just yesterday I was watching a couple Kenny Gioia videos and he made use of some presets several times! Of course, he modified them a bit to fit his needs...
Old 09-25-2018, 05:26 AM   #49
Jason Lyon

Well, I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

So I presume it was an algorithmic reverb that got you the juice you wanted? Fair enough. Funny how often in life we don't get the right answers because we're not asking the right questions... Often guilty of that myself.

Now then - back to trying to remove the background sound of hairdryer from a home vocal recording. Oh, the fun I have!

PS I have no objection to starting from presets, but always modify them. That's the basis of things like templates, it's just that in that context you usually have to build the presets yourself. No one size fits all, but you know how big your feet are at least.

Be well.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #50
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
ReaFir is a joke...very poor quality. Don’t know how anyone can use it.
Carefully? I just delivered a mix that used a few instances, cleaning buzzy guitars (subtract, wet level automated <100%), mainly, but also taming some peakiness on a couple of things (compression, moderate/high ratios, just catching the peaks). I use it quite a lot for those jobs. Terrific VFM. Works just fine. I wouldn't use it as a general EQ - I have others I prefer, incl ReaEQ.