Old 06-18-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
caius_heh
Human being with feelings

Default no input w/ DI electro-acoustic inst

Hello !

Not strictly Reaper related but heck, I'm using the DAW so here goes !

I'm not getting any input signal when I plug my electro-acoustic instruments directly into my interface (scarlett 18i8) via jack. I need it to set up a live performance. I do get a signal when I plug the jack in, but not when I play.

I have tried using both INST and LINE input levels. I have tried 4 different instruments (2 ukes and 2 guits) and have checked the batteries for each of them. I tried to use another interface (tascam US-122), with the same result

It does work with my strictly electric guitars and bass though, so i'm a tad bit baffled...

Any idea why this happens ?
caius_heh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
martifingers

Seems odd right enough. My only thoughts are:

1. Check your cable. Are you using the same for both the electro-acoustics and the electric instruments?
2. Do they all work through a normal amp? If so then try a DI out from the amp into the Line In. Not that that is necessarily the sound you want but it may help eliminate some variables.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
caius_heh

1. It does work with the same cable.
2. I am not using any kind of amp. It is plain old DI directly from the instrument to the interface.

it IS odd... can't make sense of anything that could explain this
Old 06-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #4
martifingers

OK. Weird as you say. So can I just check?

We have four electro-acoustic instruments that are not producing a signal even though they are going through the same cable into the same Instrument input in the interface?
(BTW when you say you get a signal when you plug in but not when you play do you mean you get that characteristic noisy "spike"?)

Well, I was suggesting the amp simply to verify that the electro-acoustic instruments all worked (I know it seems a million to one shot that they all suddenly failed at the same time!)

I don't know what else to suggest but if it were me I would run an electric guitar and an electro-acoustic through a mixer into the interface. That way there should still be sound from the electric and if there is still no sound from the electro-acoustic then there is definitely a fault such a faulty output jack etc.

Or else try another interface?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:42 AM   #5
caius_heh

So. It does work now.

I swapped for another cable and BAM ! Should have thought of that long before, but since it worked with electrical instruments, I didn't think about it...

The weirdest thing is I tested that same cable by plugging one of my Electro Acoustics in my amp and it worked ! Weirdest issue I've ever seen, but at least it is solved.

Thanks for the insight !

Last edited by caius_heh; 06-19-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
martifingers

No worries. I wish I had a pound for every time a cable suddenly stopped working and then suddenly did work when I got round to checking it again. Usually happens in a live situation too so at least you have ha d time to troubleshoot in advance.
Stay safe!