Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #41
ovnis
Human being with feelings

Quote:
That won't work in dual ruler mode (showing bars/beats and minutes/seconds at the same time).
Yes, I know. But it can work with only bars/beats or only minutes/seconds. So, why not add an option like "measures. beat (ultra minimal)" ?

Quote:
Also that tempo lane looks way too scrunched there, not enough breathing room.
For you, not for me.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #42
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
not enough breathing room.
Cathedrals rule. Screw houses
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #43
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Yes, I know. But it can work with only bars/beats or only minutes/seconds. So, why not add an option like "measures. beat (ultra minimal)"?
There are 7 single lane ruler types, two of them already being Measures.Beats. If the vertical space of 3 px is so crucial for some users, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the same option for all of these single lane types? That would mean 14 different single lane types. And in that case surely a more sensible approach would be a single option of minimal height lane for all of them.

The extra space above the main toolbar and top, a 6 px difference now, would be an added issue. Hiding ruler lanes may or may not help there, haven't checked it myself.

Like ED, I'm fine with how the ruler is in these betas. Few pixels make a nice difference to how clear things look in there. I can understand how these changes may look like too much space taken for some. But I think if this needs some further changes/additions, all the options and their effects have to be considered, not just the minimal requirement cases. Fair?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #44
gofer
-blänk-

Xpander, I don't think anyone really proposes a separate "use same height as in earlier version" option for each lane type. That's absurd.

Maybe we are experiencing the net effect of the added height differently because of screen pixel density? For me (on my monitor) it's a considerable height (about 12 px or so, I am not going to count them) I am losing without getting anything really noticeable back for it. I didn't find the ruler to look crammed or unclear before. Actually, if I did have the means to do so by theming, I might have experimented with reducing the ruler height by cutting off a px from each lane or so. I am a bit astonished that you guys are so happy about giving the ruler even more room than before and probably also like the added empty space above and below the toolbar icons.

From my point of view it is you guys who say that 3 px are so crucial, not me.

I would really like to check whether hiding ruler lanes helps, but I can't find the actions to do so.

Last edited by gofer; 12-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #45
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Xpander, I don't think anyone really proposes a separate "use same height as in earlier version" option for each lane type. That's absurd.
True, nobody has asked for all those separate lane types. But has somebody asked yet for all of the (other) single lane types to be affected also? That's exactly why I said it would rather make sense for all of the single lane types to have a common minimal height switch option. It would only be a matter of time before the rest of them would be asked to have the same thing anyway, right? It's not that I'm wanting it, but at least to me that seems more fair and equal to everybody.

No, three pixels more at the bottom of the ruler is not crucial to me, I have survived without it for quite a long time. But it surely helps to make it all look less congested to me, so I welcome that change. But like I said, I can understand how some would like the older look and have that space available for something else. I would call it even.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
gofer
-blänk-

I don't get it. Nobody was asking for an option that regains 3 pixels. Ovnis has made a mockup that regains 12 px when only one time unit is used. How is that a bad idea that must inevitably lead to absurd option creep? It wouldn't even need an extra option in the first place.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #47
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Me personally don`t need these stripes with regions, time signatures or whtever, it just take space from arrangement like in pic below. I would have just 20-30 pixel ruler with time and show/hide other data by actions if needed.
I really need the extra rulers. Previous to 5.65 it was almost impossible to decipher what I was seeing in projects with lots of tempo and meters changes. Not having tempo and meter separate, as well as some space between them and markers, regions, etc. is like flying blind to me. When it was so cluttered like that it makes it really hard to get your bearings.

Although we're obviously not there yet in the release candidates, I'm hoping the developers continue to work on this while they get more feedback.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #48
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I really need the extra rulers. Previous to 5.65 it was almost impossible to decipher what I was seeing in projects with lots of tempo and meters changes. Not having tempo and meter separate, as well as some space between them and markers, regions, etc. is like flying blind to me. When it was so cluttered like that it makes it really hard to get your bearings.

Although we're obviously not there yet in the release candidates, I'm hoping the developers continue to work on this while they get more feedback.
I agree. Reaper is the only DAW where the tempo marks and time sig marks are generic small text crammed up in a ruler and not standouts. This data is crucial. Not an afterthought
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #49
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I agree. Reaper is the only DAW where the tempo marks and time sig marks are generic small text crammed up in a ruler and not standouts. This data is crucial. Not an afterthought
I always get slammed when I say REAPER is the only DAW that...

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #50
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I don't get it. Nobody was asking for an option that regains 3 pixels. Ovnis has made a mockup that regains 12 px when only one time unit is used. How is that a bad idea that must inevitably lead to absurd option creep? It wouldn't even need an extra option in the first place.
?
Gofer, you must've missed to what I was actually answering to. It was this:

And the related suggestion made here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=44

I didn't come up with the idea of new ruler options, just speculated where it would lead in that case and how it could be solved at least more sensibly. When comparing that specific bottom part of ruler in 5.62 and 5.65rc4, the difference was 3 px. That's exactly why I wondered about 3 px being crucial, right? And also, I did specifically mention then current bigger difference above the main toolbar, but said I hadn't studied that part totally.

That it all adjusts dynamically now might well be better for all parties. But grid lines covering partially the lower ruler numbers when dual rulers are shown and ruler is pushed up is still not right. Taking the space away didn't help there either, or did it?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #51
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I don't think that tempo changes are typically so important as to warrant standout graphics, but time signature changes can perhaps do with more pizzaz.

Can you post screenshots of the DAWs that do it best?

(P.S. I wonder if the Marker and Region graphics can be spruced up a little? The colored octagons look rather primitive next to the 3D buttons and fancy calligraphy ruler font. I'm no graphic designer, so I can't really advise, but perhaps a little 3D shadow or color gradient?)

Last edited by juliansader; 12-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #52
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
rather primitive next to the 3D buttons and fancy calligraphy ruler font. I'm no graphic designer, so I can't really advise, but perhaps a little 3D shadow or color gradient?)
yes please don't advise that
really, 3d shadows and color gradients is back to the 80s.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote