Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
Antinomia
Human being with feelings

Default Issue with midi note length 0.0.00 while recording drumpads

Hello,

I have an issue with the length of midi notes when recording with my drumpad.

I have a simple Kat KTMP1, and when recording I see notes being written. But with half of my Kontakt5 Percussion Libraries I don't hear anything while smashing on the drumpad, and also when I play them back.

When I checked the note properties I found out why. When recording my drumpad there is no note length. It's 0.0.00. When I change it to for example 0.0.01 it's playing the sound. It seems some libraries require a minimum note length and some other libraries don't care and work fine.
When I quantize the recorded notes afterwards they also get length, but that way I don't hear anything while hitting the pad, this is so annoying that I keep going back to smashing my keyboard instead... :-)

Anyway, here's my question: Is there any solution to give the note some length WHILE recording? Any magic Reaper setting / script / plugin? Or is there something else I overlook?

Kind regards,
Antinomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
cfillion

My MIDI Note Length Control JSFX (available through ReaPack) can set a minimum length to notes going through it in real-time.

Last edited by cfillion; 01-20-2018 at 07:07 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Antinomia

Holy S#!% It's working, thanks a lot!!

Your short movie was a bit too much for me, I just put the Midi Note Length Controle above Kontakt 5 and my drumpad is audible already. That was my big wish, thanks!

I can adjust the length of the notes afterwards when quantizing or just be lazy and leave the Midi Note Length Controle in place and I'm good to go.

And now it's time for me to explore other tools in the JSFX pack, might be more useful than I thought :-)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
ivansc

Another way to simplify this is to change the note display in the MIDI editor to diamonds or triangles, the traditional way of displaying drum hits in a MIDI sequencer. Its in the editor settings IIR.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
Antinomia

Sadly no. I thought the same and already tried that before, but also no sound with the diamonds or triangles.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 AM   #6
ivansc

Yeah sorry I hadn`t registered that the actual note length really WAS zero! My mistake.
Wondering what the Kat Kit (!) thinks it is putting out as opposed to the sero length it appears to be. I have no experience of the KTMP1 but surely there has to be a way of changing the length of a hit internally?

Just went and read the manual. Not very helpful, is it? Have you tried asking Kat themselves if there is a way to adjust the length of the MIDI trigger that is sent?

But in the meantime, cfillion has the answer!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
Antinomia

Indeed, the manual was not helpful. There aren’t many buttons and options so i dont expect anything, but i’ll ask KAT anyway and if they let the kat out of the bag i post it here.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
ivansc

(grin) never bothered to see what my Roland TD8 has in this area as far as controlling length of MIDI note sent... I will have an explore.