Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #41
Matthew Presley
Human being with feelings

Maybe I'm crazy here but I for one love the way Reaper handles this now in the actions window. Once set up it's static and does not change, works every time for me without fail. This was one of my biggest complaints from working with generic controllers in Nuendo. If it is ever to change please at least let the learned CC's stay put and not make the user have to relearn every project. Also, in regards to Battla's/Reaper Deepers comment complaining about volume and panning CC's staying with the track number... I like this current behavior too. It would drive me absolutely nucking futs if my fader assigned to track 1 now controlled track 5 (if I simply moved it over) For simpler setups I can see the need for both behaviors, but I personally would never use it.

Goes to show you cant please everyone I guess.
Matthew Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
Reverbio

Yes we do have Set volume actions
But
No sends ?, this is the most important FR really.
Reverbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #43
jedstar2000

I'd like to see it handled.
CC assigned to a particular send on a particular track and stick with that track when adding tracks before it.
And
Generically so the first 8 sliders controll volume next
Next 8 knobs controll pan for first 8 tracks
Next 8 Knobs control sends 1 for first 8 tracks
And
To be able to assign it so it controls selected track i.e
1st knob controls volume on selected track
2nd Knob controls pan
3rd Knob controls 1st send on selected track

All with a Generic Midi remote editor

But for now I'd settle simple MIDI learn (cc sticks with track when adding tracks before it)

PLEASE ...............................
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #44
xackley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Presley View Post
Maybe I'm crazy here but I for one love the way Reaper handles this now in the actions window. Once set up it's static and does not change, works every time for me without fail. This was one of my biggest complaints from working with generic controllers in Nuendo. If it is ever to change please at least let the learned CC's stay put and not make the user have to relearn every project. Also, in regards to Battla's/Reaper Deepers comment complaining about volume and panning CC's staying with the track number... I like this current behavior too. It would drive me absolutely nucking futs if my fader assigned to track 1 now controlled track 5 (if I simply moved it over) For simpler setups I can see the need for both behaviors, but I personally would never use it.

Goes to show you cant please everyone I guess.
No one would argue that the current functionality is not great and is very useful. The question is why can't the midi signal be assigned to a control that stays with the track.
Suppose I create a drum template, I assign fader 3 of my keyboard to it. Forever more whenever I want the drums to be a little louder or quieter, I reach for fader 3. No need to count tracks, or even have the drum bus visible on the screen.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #45
reaperdeeper

Cockos , we have a problem ........
reaperdeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #46
jedstar2000

Hears a track template enabling midi sends I just put together..

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...041#post378041

Hope some of you find this useful..

Also I know that send are addressable from the API and there is a MCU map out that enables midi to control the first 8 sends of the selected track so I can only assume its cockos taking there time over this one
Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #47
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
there is a MCU map out that enables midi to control the first 8 sends of the selected track so I can only assume its cockos taking there time over this one
thats all we need (not sarcasm!)- any idea where this mcu map is lurking?
EDIT: would that be Klinkes mcu .dll?

if thats true then why can't they have 10minutes less for lunch to sort this out and receive much love and kisses in return from everyone? i don't get it.

cheers for the efforts at workaround tho.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 09-24-2009 at 08:48 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #48
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
thats all we need (not sarcasm!)- any idea where this mcu map is lurking?
EDIT: would that be Klinkes mcu .dll?

if thats true then why can't they have 10minutes less for lunch to sort this out and receive much love and kisses in return from everyone? i don't get it.

cheers for the efforts at workaround tho.
No worries I hope it works for you.

Hears the thread for Klinkes MCU plugin.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41891

I know the MCU is a "dumb midi device " meaning it only sends and receives midi so this code should work with any controller provided you know what cc number to send , I'm hoping there is some way to extract this info from the net or the code so we can all use it.....Or yes 10 minutes less lunch for an eternity of gratitude
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #49
BenK-msx

indeed just had a play with his .dll on my bcf unit with an mcu preset on it,
though came back here to try and find the midi msgs that relate to the sends: e.g switching to send control mode or the send control cc's themselves.
most useful

thinking ultimately i can have my regular setup (not mcu) and then an mcu preset i can go to, to control sends 'all in one'.

either someone can answer that or its a search session...
EDIT:
seems it could be that midi note 41 swithes the 8 vpots *(midi channel 1 cc16-23) to send control.
(from the genmce app)
yet to check...

Last edited by BenK-msx; 09-24-2009 at 09:59 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #50
jedstar2000

Great Work ...

Can you hot swap MCU and generic midi modes inside reaper without entering the options remotes page?

Could you run them side by side using midi yoke and a midi filter.

Only desired commands come from beringer usb midi device. The rest via Midi yoke to control reaper .... Will have a go at the weekend....

EDIT >>

Or using console you could simply do this....

Ch 1 >Midi yoke 1> Klinkes MCU for functions fom MCU controls
Ch 2,3,4,etc >Reaper Midi Remote /custom actions

Last edited by jedstar2000; 09-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #51
reaperdeeper

Ok
my workaround so far to control sends:
open new track and send the audio to it - on the new track a send to the FX track - and on new track again JS volume/pan by midi controller. Works fine but its a workflow killer.

Hello McFly??? Contolling sends??? Workflow???
I mean , drawing envelopes by hand is nice but first the basic things!!!!
Come on....does anyone of cockos ever read this?????
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #52
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

this is a worse conspiracy than no one ever landed on the moon!!!
at least its an elevated FR now, with 50 votes:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=77
...how long can this go on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battla View Post
slaps forehead...

believe it or not schwa has said as much on this forum more than once. he is on the record that cockos will and does intentionally withhold useful and obviously needed features or fixes from its entire user base in order not to "reward" a user who made him feel bad by pointing out a problem with reaper in too brusque a manner, or perhaps did not afford him the deference he feels he is due in the process - who knows. i do know that if schwa spent half the time fixing problems with reaper that he does sniffing his own farts and trolling the forum putting his user base in its place it would be a far more serious application than it is today.

reaper: the only DAW with a development track subject to the adolescent, hyper-emotional narcissism of one of it's three developers. YAY!
whoooa, this is actually the first time i have seen 'rudeness' in reaper forums! congrats! of course well have to assume the outburst was a joke, but ill have to say, this is obviously a very frustrating issue, for 49 users officially, (see http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=77#note6653 ) meaning way more in reality... LOL, mabe they do have an obama-narcsissus syndrome... hahahaha!!! just kidding.

you know, its actually tricky to have learns for these because they are so creatable all over the place, its a bit of a logic head twister.... god please i hope thats all it is!!!

ill have to add, the devs have slowly but surely added every crucial feature i have begged for nicely, whereas if it was any 'corporate' daw, you will NEVER get your request, and the 'upgrades' will always be just a buggy, bloated relative POS that they charge you full price again for! horray for the first software IN HISTORY to release STABLE fixed and upgrades, without messing with existing functionality and code!!! really its a first EVER on EARTH and they deserve alot of credit...

for now a workaround is to add a js volume or sonalksis free g, which you can midi learn, then plugin pin connector to an unused channel, then make relevant send at 0db, listen to that plugin pin.

ACTUALLY THIS IS WHAT I REALLY HAVE TO DO ALL THE TIME NOW, its like a MILLION MOUSE CLICKS and a confusing pin connector...
come OOOOOOOONNNN!
this is actually the last functional issue ill have to have everything ironed out for live (except solo routing to different hardware out)

Last edited by evanrabby; 10-05-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add realism
evanrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #53
icarus

Never understood midi learn in Reaper,
For me Ableton Live has the most intuitive midi learn ever (and it's for everything: fader, send , Vsti, Vst,button: on\off)
You can also control many things with the keyboard
It's the one of the only reason that I didn't switch totally to reaper

The other reasons:

_In mixer you can't moove the orders of tracks and you can't fold & unfold the groups(only hide, but it's not the same)

_Still midi glitches on Vst loops (only sometimes with Guru for example)
don' t know why (it's like it has be written in the project)

_When you paste or copy a clip sometimes it's not exactly on the grid( a little before or a little after) and it's very laborious to repare that for every clip

_When you moove inside a sample with alt, the magnetism is not active to the end\begining of a loop and I must zoom to the max to align it to grid (a la Acid Pro or Vegas): Live is still the best to moove the trigger inside a loop and try different combinaison( when a sample is perfectly looped!)

_Never understood the midi routing or the multiple channel per voice(exept for ducking)

I have searched for hours in this forum and never solved this problems

Exept that reaper is a wonderfull daw, very quick, light on ressource, stable, custom actions are unique and make fit reaper to your style of working, no library of 30 gb of shit, (don' t care about groove quantize because groove quantize it's me!), at the beginning I didn't like the Vst Browser, but now I find it's the best: you want a vst, type the first letters: it's done !(no need to browse in the jungle of the vst folder to find an eq)

Sorry for my bad english
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #54
evanrabby

basic midi learn seems fine to me, its only a problem when its missing for some functions:

move the control you want first in a vst or dx plug, then click on param/learn
a box pops up, now move the control on your control surface, click ok, done!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #55
evanrabby

ok, this may be the last repitition i put in here:

the 'elevated feature request' for this issue is right at the bottom and is closed to new posts, but it has increased in votes to 54 from 49 in 24 hours.

i finally judge that reaper devs are ignoring it just for spite! HAHA, but there are only 6 of 25 eleveted fr that have higher votes.

lastly i believe this is a very quick fix, whereas the higher vote issues require a HUGE amount of work (status lines, area selection, etc).

so come on, lets get this one coming soon, just in time for the great global financial collapse into a new dark age!!!

-thanks reaper.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #56
Dali

Default 00101011001100010010000000100001

(No, I didn't wrote "bump")

Seriously, what really means "Elevated FR" ?

Dali
Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #57
evanrabby

it means they put it up high on a shelf where theyll never see it, LOL!

but only if they deem it frustrating.... ok ill have to lay off haha!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #58
Jeffos
Mortal

For sends, this thread may interest you, in the meantime: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44412
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #59
reaperdeeper

soo many updates ... but still nothing ...
contolable sends controlable sends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
had a dub/reggae session last night...now what is dub without a delay on a fader?????????? really really sucks...pls do it cockos justin ect
Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #60
gofer
-blänk-

Actions to control volume and pan of the first 8 send slots of the selected track(s) have been recently implemented with Reaper v3.22 .

You could have had a 'no suck dub' session...
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #61
reaperdeeper

oh wow ... i didnt notice ... at least SOMETHING
strange , why only the first 8 tracks? and why in actions and not in the evelope window?
but anyway ... looks promising
ty so far
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #62
gofer
-blänk-

Nono, not the first 8 tracks. The first 8 send slots of the currently selected track(s). You can have tracks 111 and 203 selected and control their (first 8) sends.

Chances are it comes as 'learn' option as well. But not yet.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #63
evanrabby

theyre messin with us. currently selected track only...

usually ill have a delay send for say a vocal, and i need the control surface permanently hard wired to one knob no matter where i am in reaper, thats always the way i use a control surface. no paging around on the screen to set knobs,

also it wont work because the knobs have NO parameter feedback so jumping to a new track then turning the knob will cause hair raising jumps to whatever value the knob was on last...

useless.

theyre mesin with us,,,
Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #64
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrabby View Post
usually ill have a delay send for say a vocal, and i need the control surface permanently hard wired to one knob no matter where i am in reaper
That facility will come (for track controls as well as sends), but not yet.

Quote:
jumping to a new track then turning the knob will cause hair raising jumps to whatever value the knob was on last
Enabling soft takeover will prevent this. You set this option in the dialog where you map the controller to the action.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #65
gofer
-blänk-

Oh, how many knobs does your console have?

Schwa mentioned somewhere that dedicated control like you wish will come eventually, but for the time being this is a good fit for the average user, methinks. Anything but useless.

Use endless rotary encoders to control the values without jump. Another method would be soft-takeover, but I don't dig that at all.
I don't think that you get parameter feedback without using a dedicated csurf anytime soon. At least, I wouldn't hold my breath until it's there.

Schwa took over while I was slowly typing away
Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #66
evanrabby

ok soft takeover.... i use it live so i still need permanent always handy mappings.

i use a bcr 2000 it has 32 knobs. even if i had only 8 knobs id still want them hardwired, i only use it for delay sends on certain tracks, and delay tap/feedback/time/resonance. its for dub reggae.

-keep up the good work!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #67
gofer
-blänk-

As far as I know all knobs on the BCR are endless rotary. You will therefore have no problem with value jumping and don't need to cope with soft-takeover. Assign them as 'relative' (I don't know which relative mode would fit for the BCR, just try all 3 until it works).
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #68
evanrabby

there is no parameter feedback from reaper, when i switch channels the first knob move on the bcr will broadcast starting at whatever the last value it was encoding, it has nothing to do with whether theyre endless or not. of course i know how my encoders work...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #69
krahosk

+ ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
+1. would like to able to control *everything possible* with my midi controller.

apart from using a fader for the volume and pan, also the start, stop, continue and record functions for transport controllable via midi would be awesome.

plz jcs ... we're waiting
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #70
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
there is no parameter feedback from reaper, when i switch channels the first knob move on the bcr will broadcast starting at whatever the last value it was encoding, it has nothing to do with whether theyre endless or not. of course i know how my encoders work...
It absolutely does have to do. It sounds as if you have set up those knobs to send messages in absolute mode, which is like missing the best part of it.

Rotary encoders in relative mode send a message for leftward turn and another message for rightward turn. Eg, MCU rotaries send a cc value 65 with each tick to the left and the same cc with value 1 with each tick to the right. The receiving device understands (in this case) value 65 as "decrease that parameter a notch" and value 1 as "increase that parameter a notch". There is no value jump with relative encoders. No matter what the last value it was encoding, the next value can either be 65 (decrement) or 1 (increment).

Parameter feedback would allow a display (such as a ring of led around the encoder) to show you the current absolute value, but that doesn't influence proper function of the knob itself. Even those crappy rotaries on my old novation work without parameter jumps.

It seems the BCR rotaries can be set up to send absolute values (0-127), but as it can also funtion as MCU type of controller I am totally sure they can as well send proper relative rotary style if you tell them to. Behringer might have decided to default them to absolute mode, so they work instantly with every DAW and synth. Not all of them understand relative encoders.

You really should try to get them to work as relative encoders, as you are missing out lots of comfort when you use all those nice knobs in absolute mode. You'll be losing the cool led ring displays, but I'd trade them for jumpless control anytime. Check the BCR manual if you need, it really is worth the effort. Promised.

Hopefully parameter feedback will get implemented for 'learned' CC (actions and track/plugin parameter learn) at some point.

Last edited by gofer; 02-08-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #71
evanrabby

i knew i shouldnt have wasted time explaining this.

it really doesent matter, reaper will soon have midi learn for sends, end of thread that BRIGHT and SHINING day...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #72
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
i knew i shouldnt have wasted time explaining this.
What do you mean by that? Do you think I'm talking BS? No success with relative control? I just scanned through the BCR manual and of course it supports (several) relative modes for the encoder knobs, but it defaults to absolute. You'd just have to set it up. Or are the led rings that important to you. It's a bit of a trade off, I'm aware.

Of course dedicated controls are important for you (if that is what you mean by that remark). I always forget you are doing mostly live performance stuff. For the ordinary mixing purpose the current method works great and totally jump-less with endless knobs sending relative messages (alas without parameter feedback, granted).

Please keep in mind I am only trying to help you get parameter control without jumps. Soft takeover can still have jumps at the take-over point, if you approach the current value from the wrong side. You can get around that problem easily with your equipment and the current Reaper, that's all I am saying. If you don't believe that, it's not my problem, but still a pity.

Last edited by gofer; 02-08-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #73
jayendra

The first thing I tried when switching from cubase/logic was to right click on knobs to learn.

Right click is everywhere in reaper (even in unexpected places like the rate thingy

Fair enough some plugins dont have it but you should have right click on parameters to learn.

+1
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #74
chrisharbin

+1000

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that the fx section has this (and works so well) and the main controls don't.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #75
evanrabby

holy crap. sorry dude I realize you meant ignore the rings and it starts broadcasting an add to current value. I was other wise k owing it would jump

but yes I need absolute control where I read the ring values

man we humans need to argue these inner feelings when face to face too I believe we'd All have such a release ...
Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #76
mio*star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
+1000

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that the fx section has this (and works so well) and the main controls don't.
I know ... I don't understand either.

This has been a FR for quite a few months now.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #77
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio*star View Post
I know ... I don't understand either.

This has been a FR for quite a few months now.
Since may 5th 2009
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #78
gofer
-blänk-

Look at post #64. It's on the to-do list. In the meantime you can use the existing actions to control the sends or a csurf solution.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #79
evanrabby

there are not sufficient actions for sends. only selected track type, not hard assigned to a send.

and we all know the plugin type workarounds, too slow!

as reaper starts getting used by professionals and heavy audio editors like me itll get the basics down fast, because it rocks too much not to.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #80
reaperdeeper

still no news to this!!!