Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Flinkx
Human being with feelings

Default I don't find my MOTU midi express 128

I used to work with Windows 7 and Cubase LE6, and I was happy, working with my synths and my Moto midiexpress 128 via USB.

Now I changed my computer to an iMac from Apple - generally work is much easier than with Windows and I like my iMac (an old one, but fine) and OS X Sierra 10.12.

I already had some time before found quite a lot of enthusiastic reports about Reaper and with Windows I already had thrown an eye on it. But as I was quite content with Cubase, I did not install it.

Changing to the iMac forced me to change my sequencer software, because Cubase LE 6 did not want to be installed under OS X Sierra and I did not want to return to an older OS X.

So Reaper returned to my mind and I took the chance and installed it.

But to my great astonishment Reaper couldn't find my midiexpress.

I tried to find any hints on the forum, but it seems, no one else has this problem.

Does anyone here have an idea what I am doing wrong or where the problem lies?

Thanks a lot in advance to helpful mails.

Juergen
Flinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
cfillion

Have you installed the driver from MOTU? Does macOS sees the device in Audio MIDI Setup? What do you see in REAPER Preferences > MIDI Devices?
It should be like this, after having manually enabled each port you want to use: https://i.imgur.com/ArGikN1.png

The MIDI Express 128 works quite well with REAPER here on macOS 10.10. Once in a while REAPER complains it cannot be loaded on startup but that's very rare.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Flinkx

Thank you cfillion for your fast answer.

I have to confess, that I never ever would have thought, that I would need a USB-driver for Mac OS.

It works. :-)

I had bought the midiexpress second hand, and I had no manual for this device. And of course I installed it and asked myself, why does it not work? The midi driver is very helpful :-)).

Again, thank you so much for your help.
Best wishes
Juergen
Flinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
shanabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinkx View Post
Thank you cfillion for your fast answer.

I have to confess, that I never ever would have thought, that I would need a USB-driver for Mac OS.
The real kicker is when you find out you have to ENABLE the midi ports in the preferences as I NEVER has to do that with Cubase, Logic, StudioOne. I use a MOTU Midi interface as well
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
earlevel

I have a Motu MTP-AV USB MIDI interface, Reaper doesn't see it. In the MIDI Devices pref, it's not listed. (My TASCAM mixer also has MIDI ports, available from my firewire interface to the mixer, and Reaper see that set just fine. But I don't user that interface.)

Meanwhile, MIDI is available to my other DAWs, MIDI Monitor, Audio MIDI Setup...

Any ideas?

PS—Well, that was interesting...despite all other MIDI apps and DAWs (DP, PT, Cubase, S1 Pro...) working fine, I cleaned up my system—purging cache files, etc. Reaper now sees my MIDI interface. Hmmm...

Last edited by earlevel; 03-21-2018 at 02:17 PM.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote