Old 09-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #81
Garrick
Human being with feelings

Hey j, I'm having a beer listening to drive in Saturday, thinking well fuck me that guy sounds just like Jorgen
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #82
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Hey j, I'm having a beer listening to drive in Saturday, thinking well fuck me that guy sounds just like Jorgen
Oh man! Yeah, that strange English fellow...! Copying my act, what can you do? :d

How's your own project running? Want/need anything? Or you have all personnel you need?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #83
Jorgen

Andy, I had a look at it, never work with folders myself, so it wasn't exactly clear to me how to, well, make some of it... It'll come to me...

But the Rhodes is an octave too low... and there's a splash cymbal going where I had a ride... any idea what's going on?

The nylon was a nice touch, but I'll see about that one... cus I have a solo planned for that part, with the steel string...

Too bad I don't have your fine vsti's, the synth/moog thing sounded better than my own stuff...

Thanks, Andy. We'll get it sorted, I'm sure...

Last edited by Jorgen; 09-22-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #84
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Andy, I had a look at it, never work with folders myself, so it wasn't exactly clear to me how to, well, make some of it... It'll come to me...

But the Rhodes are an octave too low... and there's a splash cymbal going where I had a ride... any idea what's going on?

The nylon was a nice touch, but I'll see about that one... cus I have a solo planned for that part, with the steel string...

Too bad I don't have your fine vsti's, the synth/moog thing sounded better than my own stuff...

Thanks, Andy. We'll get it sorted, I'm sure...
It's just your drum mapping vs my mapping for the splash. The rhodes I use to support the bass sound, I mix it in just enough to fatten the bass gtr up, same goes for the nylon gtr and the synths - they are just light texturing that I mix in behind your existing sounds to add a little bit of shizzel to the sounds.

BTW - most of those sounds, other than Steven Slate Drums, were bundled with a bunch of Korg Nano controllers I bought. I have extra unused licenses if you want them. This is also why I ask for the MIDI source files and audio recording as it gives everyone the ability to add new elements.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #85
Garrick

Hey guys,

Is there a stem of the vocals?

btw Andy amazing seeing how you set up a rpp
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #86
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
I have extra unused licenses if you want them.
Ah, I thought I answered this. Yeah! Love to have those instruments. And files coming soon.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #87
Jorgen

Quote:
Hey guys,

Is there a stem of the vocals?

btw Andy amazing seeing how you set up a rpp
In english? I can do the lead and give you... or do you want to sing it? Or backing vocals? Feel free!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #88
Garrick

Quote:
In english? I can do the lead and give you... or do you want to sing it? Or backing vocals? Feel free!
Doesn't need to be English. I just want to try a couple stabs of acoustic gat that might or might not work but I like to play around the voice
Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #89
Jorgen

Quote:
Doesn't need to be English. I just want to try a couple stabs of acoustic gat that might or might not work but I like to play around the voice
Sure! What do you need? A track without voice and git? Or? Tell me, and you got it.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #90
Garrick

Quote:
Sure! What do you need? A track without voice and git? Or? Tell me, and you got it.
I already have the stems that andy posted and the rpp. I just need a vocal as well.

that is of course if you'll have me. I won't be offended, just thought it would be nice to have a go
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #91
Jorgen

Too late over here right now... I do it tomorrow. And I have you anytime!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #92
Garrick

Quote:
Too late over here right now... I do it tomorrow. And I have you anytime!
sweet as bro
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #93
Jorgen

Final structure and tempo https://www.dropbox.com/s/qm860fonxd...40924.zip?dl=0

Yes, you heard me. The structure has gone through a few changes over time, but nothing much, really... I have decided to stay with this. So, everybody knows what version to work on. This is it.

Same key, tempo 66 bpm. Which is a bit faster than the original demo in 62 bpm. I felt that was a bit slow.

The zip contains two audio files, and five midi files. There's also an rpf., which should open and place every file on its track, just to give you a quick overview of whats there.

Andy, I tried out your bells and synth, they worked very well with the song. I didn't include them in this package, didn't feel it was necessary, until the final mixdown.

Morgon, I have wet dreams about your git and sound... It'll lift the song right up to the sky.

Garrick, have at it. And, coming to think about it, maybe you wanted a full mix to try out vocals to? Say the word, and I upload whatever you want/need.

Cosmic, same goes for you, you need a rough mix, just tell me.

Players still welcome on bass and keys. Or whatever you can think of. Give it a go.

I did a mixdown earlier today, sounds pretty cool, but forgot it on the daw. If anybody wants to listen, I can go get it, no prob.

Last edited by Jorgen; 09-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #94
morgon

Will download that version a few hours from now, cheers -m
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #95
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Will download that version a few hours from now, cheers -m
I'll put up my "raw" mix soon! Must get to my daw...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #96
morgon

Quote:
I'll put up my "raw" mix soon! Must get to my daw...
No hurry, when convenient.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #97
Jorgen

As of right now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0rjltblld...40924.wav?dl=0

Let me know if you can work with it.

Edit: this is a "full" mix from the files in the zip I posted earlier.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #98
Jorgen

Now, now, now... we need vocalist. Back-up singers. And if anybody likes to take the lead, be my guest. I suppose there's no chance to find female singers, or...? I know Garrick will try out something, but there are always room for more.

Nobody here who can make spaced-out sounds on a moog? If not, I'll give it a try myself - have no idea how to manage a moog, I'm a preset guy when it comes to synths, but I suppose you turn those knobs in some fashion...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #99
morgon

Quote:
Now, now, now... we need vocalist. Back-up singers. And if anybody likes to take the lead, be my guest. I suppose there's no chance to find female singers, or...? I know Garrick will try out something, but there are always room for more.

Nobody here who can make spaced-out sounds on a moog? If not, I'll give it a try myself - have no idea how to manage a moog, I'm a preset guy when it comes to synths, but I suppose you turn those knobs in some fashion...
Haha Im a preset guy when it comes to just about anything. I never even tweaked the cars in Gran Turismo!

Yep, I try every single preset, pick one or two and just turn up/down the intensity a bit.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #100
Jorgen

Presets forever! Wanna sing a bit o-a? I'm always hunting for singers, I absolutely love to sing harmony. And I like it the best when someone else takes the lead... yeah, find a cool sound and turn them knobs, should do the trick...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #101
morgon

Quote:
Presets forever! Wanna sing a bit o-a? I'm always hunting for singers, I absolutely love to sing harmony. And I like it the best when someone else takes the lead... yeah, find a cool sound and turn them knobs, should do the trick...
Just picked up the file. Sing harmony? -sure I'll chime in if needed, after I see what I can do with my gtr track.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #102
Jorgen

Take your time, pal... we'll shoot this rocket to Mars, when ready. I hope for some vocals from Garrick... you hear, man? You take your time, too.

And anybody else with an idea is still welcome aboard to try out stuff... doesn't have to be something big, I'm open for details, minimalistic touches here and there... sounds, effects, spoken words, anything.

I'm still practicing the acoustic to get it right, so I'm busy, having homework to do... life is good.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #103
Jorgen

omfg, a video, moving pictures, graphics, colors...! oh man. I know who to ask, but he didn't respond the last time I proposed something... well, I put up the idea, anyways.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #104
Garrick

Hey Jorgen i'm out of action till sunday night I don't think i'll have vocals cause your vocals are on the money. I'm just going to try a couple of things and see what happens
Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #105
Jorgen

Quote:
Hey Jorgen i'm out of action till sunday night I don't think i'll have vocals cause your vocals are on the money. I'm just going to try a couple of things and see what happens
You're too kind... I'm still working on it... try your things, I'd love to hear it. You know, Bowie often sings the melody an octave lower as harmony, rather simple but effective... I was about to do it here and there... maybe your voice would fit...?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #106
morgon

I made a start on 2nd gtr track, as usual gotta guard against over busy-ness in the track, also will post some voc harmonies over bridge part [Eb Bb C# C]
Old 09-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #107
Jorgen

Quote:
I made a start on 2nd gtr track, as usual gotta guard against over busy-ness in the track, also will post some voc harmonies over bridge part [Eb Bb C# C]
Fab!!
Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #108
Andy Hamm

First Element Draft:
https://app.box.com/s/zhrpn4eg70nbw8w4fclv

It's not mixed yet, so watch out for that synth section - it will jump out at you.

Looking for the guitar solo section if that is done, and anything else that's out there.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #109
Jorgen

Hey Andy, that sounds cool... a different approach from mine... thanks man.

Well, I will put up my final takes, maybe next weekend... if things go as planned... probably two mono files, three at most.

Lead guitar is expected, but take your time, morgon.

Garrick may have something cooking.

I tried out some space synth pads today, liked it, so there's a stereo file coming of that, too.

There's no specific deadline... it'll be ready when it's ready.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #110
Garrick

Hey Jorgen sorry mate I tried some bvs but they are a lot harder to get right than I thought.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #111
Andy Hamm

Still haven't mixed it, but I added some under pad guitars - a loose bend or three to fix yet, but just working on ideas.

https://app.box.com/s/hc88tqh43exu4d88yrfo
Old 09-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #112
Jorgen

Quote:
Hey Jorgen sorry mate I tried some bvs but they are a lot harder to get right than I thought.
Don't be sorry... I come to think that this is one of the "lessons" with collabs, you simply learn and get used to it. I mean the sorryness... and for my part a whole new playground. Last time I played with a band I was a teen...

But, if I come up with some o-as, or want something specific in one place, maybe doubling a word or a phrase, could I "hire" you? If I gave you instructions exactly what to do and where? Some small thing only?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #113
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
Still haven't mixed it, but I added some under pad guitars - a loose bend or three to fix yet, but just working on ideas.

https://app.box.com/s/hc88tqh43exu4d88yrfo
Hey Andy, yeah, I see what you're getting at... I like the approach/sound of the git... only it plays a minor third in a place with a major chord... sounds a little weird... but I get the intention, and I appreciate you're experimenting. Totally allowed.

But morgon has first chair on the electric, goes without saying... I feel comfortable how things progress.

I'm sorry no drummer or bassplayer would lay down those tracks - no offense, but maybe the drums are too simple...? I do all my programming with the mouse, everything is on the grid. I don't play those instruments and I don't have a keyboard... bet it could live and move and swing a bit more.

How about this? I don't want audio, but midi performed by a keyboardist/musician/arranger who do this sort of work fluently and groovy. The basic arrangement is already there for drums, bass and keys. Any pros around? Just pm me your rates, and I see if I can cover it. Just groovy midi. Dynamics.

Last edited by Jorgen; 09-28-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #114
morgon

Im on it but I've been totalled not been totally committed to music projects the last few days bc of other commitments. Today I'll make another run through it, I find with comping like this its good to maintain fresh perspective and make 1st listen of the day decisions.

Been practicing voc harmonies so will do those today as well. No need to respond, unless theres something in particular, cheers
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #115
morgon

I did big session on this today, just wrote up a bit of a report, ever so interesting but the fucking phone shat it out, anyhows be assured Im doing my best efforts and some really good stuff so far, cheers.

No need to reply, just an update.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #116
morgon

Jorgen, theres more to this voc harmony part I could do [a transition to Fm via E dim for example] or use actual words instead of La's. [or even drop it]
Whaddaya think?

https://app.box.com/s/05opzlzxay8kegmg4v0l

Last edited by morgon; 09-30-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #117
Jorgen

Quote:
Jorgen, theres more to this voc harmony part I could do [a transition to Fm via E dim for example] or use actual words instead of La's. [or even drop it]
Whaddaya think?

https://app.box.com/s/05opzlzxay8kegmg4v0l
Yes! A choir, beautiful, love it. And please try out your ideas, sounds interesting.

I've been thinking of adding some spoken words, anything... doesn't have to be derived from the lyrics, just a phrase in one spot... maybe in arabic? A broadcast voice from far away...? Well, who to ask...?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #118
Jorgen

Andy, I've done the lead vocal and a backup vocal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eum11jtf0n...ocals.zip?dl=0

Let me know if there are any problems. Acustic git coming soon.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #119
morgon

Tooled around with some synth [reaktor] on the last break section along with some backmasked gtr, sounds ok to me but mmv. I'll post it tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #120
morgon

Gimme another day or 2 for some significant improvements to what Ive got done, haven't had much time today.