Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #41
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin777 View Post
As a long-term Reaper user and a new KK S88 MK2 owner I‘m very glad this great integration exists.

Feature request: It would be nice if only those tracks that are visible in the Reaper mixer control panel are shown in the KK mixer view on the keyboard, instead of all tracks being shown including those that are hidden in Reaper‘s mixer panel.

Regards
Martin
Hi Martin,
This is something I had considered early on. However, I found enough complications to postpone it and eventually not implement it due to other priorities. It can definitely be done though, just requires a lot of care in many parts of the code as the track count / track id is vital for virtually everything that the plugin does. I may revisit this feature if I find the time... cannot promise it (have not touched the code in many months although there are still some other features that I personally would consider higher priority than Mixer View reflecting Reaper's MCP, just too busy with other stuff).

Question: If implemented, what would your suggested behavior be for the 4D encoder? Note that the 4D encoder when moved left/right will always lead to the same MIDI messages from the keyboard, i.e. ReaKontrol receives the same MIDI message irrespective of the keyboard being in Mixer view or not. When Mixer view on the keyboard only shows the tracks visible in Reaper's MCP (Mixer Control Panel) the buttons in the top row should obviously select the corresponding track shown in the display. But when moving the 4D encoder left or right should the track selection also follow this logic? I.e. when Mixer view hides certain tracks that are also hidden in Reaper's MCP should it be possible or should it not be possible to navigate to any of the existing tracks in Reaper's TCP (Track Control Panel) via the 4D encoder?
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #42
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
To support as well standard "Control Surface" workflow, as versatile live playing workflow, it would be best to have a Reaper extension that implements a decent (propriety) bidirectional Midi protocol for all this stuff and creates a virtual Miidi device in Reaper (accessible in the preferences setup) that as well CSI as any tracks (holding JSFX plugins for processing / generating Midi in a versatile way) can attach to.

The MIDI device you are suggesting here already exists: It is “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1” (or “Komplete Kontrol A DAW” or “Komplete Kontrol M DAW” on other keyboard versions). As stated earlier you can use it with CSI, JSFX or anything else you like. You only have to send the HELLO command to NIHIA and off you go. NIHIA implements the MIDI protocol you are talking about, no need to create any additional layer. There is nothing to gain.
ReaKontrol makes extensive use of Reaper's API to then do special things like instance focus. But it still uses just the simple MIDI protocol (CC and SysEx) to communicate with the keyboard.
BTW: Instance Focus is one of the features that make this keyboard so nice for live play. I used to use LiveConfigs (just like you do) to control many instruments with one keyboard. But I find Instance focus much more convenient, especially thanks to the keyboard's displays. LiveConfigs is still useful for special stuff but for simply controlling multiple instruments I find Instance Focus infinitely better. For LiveConfigs I use a dedicated foot controller and a Beatstep, the keyboard does not have enough buttons to spare. But thanks to ReaKontrol I barely need LiveConfigs anymore: most of the time I simply need to control multiple instruments and not anything more complicated.
For the creative part of looping (when you layer individual scenes) ReaKontrol comes in handy as it allows to add/remove tracks, change loop lengths, record and remove takes etc without ever moving away from the keyboard. Ideally, you have all your SW instruments converted to NKS (can also be done for non NI stuff) - then playing, looping and browsing becomes one flow without ever looking at a computer screen. I frequently find myself for hours on the keyboard sketching together themes to then find that the computer screens of the PC went dark because I never touched the keyboard or mouse once.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 AM   #43
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
NIHIA implements the MIDI protocol you are talking about, no need to create any additional layer.
Great !
Is there a decent documentation on NIHIA ? Is Geoff aware of this ?

Regarding "Instance Focus, as I don't have a Kontrol Keyboard, I am totally dumb on that issue.

Can it be used without an NI keyboard (e.g. controlled by Midi messages e.g. from a dedicated control device ) ?

What are the pros/cons vs LiveConfigs ?

In fact I am also completely dumb regarding looping, firing song snippets, etc. I might do more investigations on same, maybe using LiveConfigs would help implementing something useful, maybe Instance Focus is more appropriate on that ???

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #44
bzctoons

Default Native Instrumenet S49 Mkii / reaper 6.02

Hello
I want to make the mixer button runs Native Instrumenet S49 Mkii(Firmware 0.5.9) / reaper 6.02
I checked :
- the name of the device Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1, which is disabled in input and output
- the DLL is inside reaper's userplugins folder
- I restarted the NI services
But no transport or mixer feature appears
Any clue ?
bzctoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #45
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzctoons View Post
Hello
I want to make the mixer button runs Native Instrumenet S49 Mkii(Firmware 0.5.9) / reaper 6.02
I checked :
- the name of the device Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1, which is disabled in input and output
- the DLL is inside reaper's userplugins folder
- I restarted the NI services
But no transport or mixer feature appears
Any clue ?
If you went through the steps described here
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=37
then I am running out of ideas what the issue could be. NIHIA is unfortunately known to behave erratically (affects all other DAWs too of course).

One (remote) possibility might be related to multi threading and resulting timing: Since ReaKontrol is registered as a "behind the scenes" control surface instance immediately after starting reaper maybe Reaper (or Windows) has not yet enlisted your MIDI device "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" if scanning for MIDI devices runs in another thread that finished after ReaKontrol checks for the presence of the keyboard..... I could try to change this in a future release, i.e. make the user register ReaKontrol manually under Control Surfaces rather than having this happen automatically.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #46
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2150475]... moving this into the proper subforum (some history is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158)

ReaKontrol Plugin Extension for Reaper
Deep DAW Integration going beyond MCU:

Fantastic work

Renewed my REAPER License after REAPER V6 where released.. I've been using MAGIX Pro X4 SUITE and it's dual engines (I.E BlowTools.)
However PRO X4 won't even perform w/o clicks, pops and other mischief, using ONE intance of Komplete Kontrol / 16 VI's.. (Which is unacceptable on my 64MB 16 Core RYZEN Threadripper System)

RE-Enter REAPER V6(+) because I cannot for the life in me make it pop and click despite running 16 tracks with 16 Instances of KOMPLETE KONTROL / KONTAKT 5's!

Today I found REAPER_KONTROL.dll, simply installed it in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\User Plugins and VOILA! FINALLY Mixer, Transport, Metro/Tempo etc functionality!

One thing I find strange however, which is a couple of days ago, whilst "setting it "all" up..

Komplete KonrolDAW -1 thing disappeared, never to be seen again.. That is until I uninstalled REAPER using REVO Uninstaller PRO and re installed it again.. But now if I activated MIDI IN/OUT for KOMPLETE KONTROL -1 / KOMPLETE KONTROL EXT-1 I got a popup telling me it could not be activated.. Despite the fact it WORKED?

Anyways, it seems to be back to "normal" right now and I've read somewhere NOT to activate the KonrolDAW -1 Thing? and it works fine so far.. That is until I restarted REAPER and my Kontrol MK-II, which seemed to work again after rebooting..

Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS/MAG as DJT says

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 12-20-2019 at 10:42 PM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #47
brummbear

I have ReaKontrol working flawlessly with Reaper 6.02. However, I can confirm that the NI drivers behave quite flaky. If MIDI devices disappear ReaKontrol is not to blame... it is those unstable NI driver's. As you experienced you may have to reboot Windows if things don't work initially. Once Reaper is running and ReaKontrol recognizes the keyboard via the NIHIA service everything should be rock stable.

Irrespective of the above I may be able to make the recognition in ReaKontrol more robust, but this still requires the NI drivers to run properly in the first place.

Regarding your question how to configure the Komplete Kontrol MIDI devices in Reaper: Please check out ReaKontrol's manual for answers to these questions (link in the first post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorsingPhoto View Post
[Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS/MAG as DJT says
Hoping we can make this world an open and better place by treating everybody and our planet respectfully, sharing (incl such little things like audio plugins..) and leaving preachers of fear and hatred behind. Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by brummbear; 12-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:26 AM   #48
mschnell

Quote:
A-series and M-series are supported with less functionality.
Just a slightly related question to the experts:

Is the NIHostIntegrationAgent and / or ReaKontrol only really viable for "S" keyboards or also for "A"s ?

I recommended an A49 to a friend of mine, and would like to have him use the Controls with Reaper.

As he is very up to speed with software and Reaper, he also could do the configuration files for CSI, if it's possible to get the communication between CSI and the keyboard decently going.

Thanks !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #49
brummbear

Quote:
Just a slightly related question to the experts:

Is the NIHostIntegrationAgent and / or ReaKontrol only really viable for "S" keyboards or also for "A"s ?

I recommended an A49 to a friend of mine, and would like to have him use the Controls with Reaper.

As he is very up to speed with software and Reaper, he also could do the configuration files for CSI, if it's possible to get the communication between CSWI and the keyboard decently going.

Thanks !
-Michael
I have not tested ReaKontrol with A or M series, but it should also work (obviously with less functions due to the reduced HW features in the keyboard itself).

And of course your friend can also use all the other modes available:
- Out of the box it should support the MCU protocol for transport (although NI only implemented the bare minimum). Use it directly with Reaper's built in MCU support or route it through CSI.
- he can use the extended NI MIDI and SysEx commands by sending the HELLO command to the keyboard. In that case MCU is disabled but he has more control over how to use the buttons. Again, can route it through CSI. Requires understanding NI's proprietary protocol which is easy if he looks up the sources on Github
- he can also use another plugin extension "Driven by Moss" which offers similar functionality like ReaKontrol.

It depends on what he wants to achieve. In my opinion the NI keyboards really shine in combination with the Komplete Kontrol VST and Instance Focus. It is such a great workflow, even if the HW itself (like keybed etc) may only be average.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #50
mschnell

Thanks a lot !
I will recommend him to test ReaKontrol and let you know what he finds.

If he is not happy with that I will work together with him to get the extended protocol going with CSI (as this is what I feel provides the most future-proof versatility).

(I will need to ask Geoff about how to make CSI send the "HELLO" and work with SYSEx...)

(I finally will find out about "Instance Focus" )

(As he is a guitarist and not a keyboarder I recommended the "A" over the "S", which of course is a lot more expensive.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-22-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #51
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2220881]I have ReaKontrol working flawlessly with Reaper 6.02. ...

Yes, unfortunately I'm a returning REAPER user after V6 so I'm looking forward to re-learning this now BEST DAW in the known Universe
Old 12-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #52
brummbear

Quote:
I will need to ask Geoff about how to make CSI send the "HELLO" and work with SYSEx...
For use with CSI:
"HELLO" is dead simple: Just send MIDI CC 0x01 "Modulation" on channel 16 to the keyboard and boom you have switched the extended MIDI protocol on (the keyboard also switches on the lights of most other buttons). CSI can work with everything out of the box, whether those are MIDI CCs or SysEx.

To switch the keyboard back to normal MCU mode just send "GOODBYE": MIDI CC 0x02 "Breath" on channel 16.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #53
Joe90

Hi Brummbear. I installed this months ago when I first started trying Reaper, but I hadn't realised it's only designed for Mk2 KK keyboards (I have a Mk1), so all it does is spam me with console messages whenever I click anything in Reaper... Totally my own fault, should have checked the documentation more carefully!

However, I keep uninstalling reakontrol, and whenever I synchronise reapack it comes back. I've tried uninstalling from reapack and deleting the 'reaper-kontrol' file multiple times (that might not be exactly what it's called, but you know what I mean). But it always comes back on synchronise, even if it's uninstalled on Reapack and the actual file is removed.

Am I doing something wrong?
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #54
mschnell

Quote:
For use with CSI:
"HELLO" is dead simple: Just send MIDI CC 0x01 "Modulation" on channel 16 to the keyboard and boom you have switched the extended MIDI protocol on (the keyboard also switches on the lights of most other buttons). CSI can work with everything out of the box, whether those are MIDI CCs or SysEx.
This does sound very promising ! (I'll be back if necessary ... )
Thanks a lot !

-Michael
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #55
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Am I doing something wrong?
Suppo0sedly you need to tell ReaPack that you don't want this software any more (i.e. "Display->Installed" get rid of the "i" in front of the package's line by right click and select "uninstall").
-Michael
Old 12-24-2019, 12:15 AM   #56
Joe90

Quote:
Suppo0sedly you need to tell ReaPack that you don't want this software any more (i.e. "Display->Installed" get rid of the "i" in front of the package's line by right click and select "uninstall").
-Michael
Thanks Micheal. When I said I've uninstalled it, that is what I meant. I clicked on Reakontrol in the reapack browse menu, selected 'uninstall' and hit apply. It does uninstall it, but synchronising Reapack brings it back every time (even if the actual reaper-kontrol file is deleted)... perhaps I'm misunderstanding what 'synchronise' is meant to do, I was under the impression it just runs through and checks you've got the latest versions of all installed scripts and installs anything that's missing, but I assume it shouldn't be installing something that's been previously uninstalled.

Could very well be a Reapack issue and nothing to do with ReaKontrol - but I've uninstalled scripts/plugins via reapack and haven't noticed them reappearing.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #57
brummbear

Hi Joe,

This is totally unrelated to ReaKontrol which is just one file that does not store or modify anything, i.e. your PC should not be able to remember it existed after deleting it unless ReaPack is configured to do so => must be a ReaPack setting. If you cannot find it in the user guide (https://reapack.com/user-guide) I am sure that Christian Fillon will be able to guide you to the right setting (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177978).
Old 12-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #58
EnGee

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much I have KK M32 and it works great
Old 12-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #59
themixtape

This does work with the M32? I thought it was only KK S-series... thanks!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #60
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2152531]New release available: ReaKontrol v0.93
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...eases/tag/0.93

Downloaded Reaper_Kontrol.dll today but after fiddling around with it I had to give up..

The "old" version dated [12/20/2019 09:21 PM 308KB] things like KK MK-2's Transport LED's, Rotary knob/ blue LED light (by the Mixer button)and SOLO/MUTE worked (on my system.. And yes worked again after I restored it).. Not so after having overwritten it with the newer reaper_kontrol.dll dated [12/29/2019 11:59 PM 304KB] (on my system)..

Carl..
Old 12-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #61
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It does uninstall it, but synchronising Reapack brings it back every time (even if the actual reaper-kontrol file is deleted)... perhaps I'm misunderstanding what 'synchronise' is meant to do, I was under the impression it just runs through and checks you've got the latest versions of all installed scripts and installs anything that's missing, but I assume it shouldn't be installing something that's been previously uninstalled.
The default behavior of synchronize packages is to update and repair installed packages only.

However, when the "Install new packages when synchronizing" option is enabled in ReaPack > Manage repositories (either globally or per-repository), then synchronizing also installs everything. You can keep the option enabled globally and only turn it off for the "ReaTeam Extensions" repository if you wish.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 AM   #62
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
The default behavior of synchronize packages is to update and repair installed packages only.

However, when the "Install new packages when synchronizing" option is enabled in ReaPack > Manage repositories (either globally or per-repository), then synchronizing also installs everything. You can keep the option enabled globally and only turn it off for the "ReaTeam Extensions" repository if you wish.
Thank you for confirming this Christian. I was concerned if I turned off 'install new packages when synchronizing' then new updated versions of already installed scripts would not be installed when synchronizing. Good to know that's not the case. I'll step away here and stop derailing your thread now brummbear!

Cheers.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:04 AM   #63
brummbear

Hi Carl, hi bzctoons,

I have created a special version of ReaKontrol which displays some diagnostic messages while establishing the connection between the keyboard / NI drivers and Reaper. You can find it here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/37977/reaper_kontrol.dll

Please replace the original dll with this one and let me know what messages you receive (a console window will open and output how often ReaKontrol scanned for the MIDI device and how many connection attempts it made). If the connection can be established you will get a separate notification window after 1 second. If the keyboard (MIDI device) is detected but the connection cannot be established you will also get a separate corresponding notification window.

The functionality of ReaKontrol is unchanged relative to version 0.94. Only diagnostic output is added.

My suspicion is that the problem lies in Native's NIHostIntegrationAgent Service, possibly how it acts in you specific Windows/USB port environment. The diagnostic data should provide more clues.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #64
brummbear

Update: I improved the special version.

https://stash.reaper.fm/37982/reaper_kontrol.dll

It now also allows hot plugging the keyboard, i.e. you can switch on the keyboard after starting Reaper. More importantly you can now also restart the NIHostIntegrationAgent service in task manager while Reaper is running and showing the Message window stating that ReaKontrol could not connect to the keyboard. This should allow you to drill down the problem: If the message "Komplete Kontrol Keyboard detected but failed to connect. Try to restart NI services (NIHostIntegrationAgent, see manual)" appears go to Windows task manager and restart NIHostIntegrationAgent in the service tab. Then click OK in Reaper's message Window. Hopefully ReaKontrol can now connect to the keyboard.

With this I can always connect on my PC even if I deliberately crash the NI services beforehand and irrespective when I switch on the keyboard. Let me know your observations and I can hopefully integrate these findings into a new official release.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #65
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2226118]Update: I improved the special version.

https://stash.reaper.fm/37982/reaper_kontrol.dll

It now also allows hot plugging the keyboard...

Works here, replied (Scan #1 and Connect #1).. FP-16 Firmware Version 2. Haven't tried V3.32 yet but I sent a Zipped ms Info file to my Presonus Supporter..

I'm really looking forward to the final release.. We would Also love to see FaderPort-16 (!) fully "integrated" / Understood in REAPER..

Next up.. I need to replace my < 2 Year old ENERMAX 280mm RYZEN THREADRIPPER 1950X IWC. REAPER makes it run HOT, known problem because they ALL GUM up.. Hopefully solved it with their Enermax ELC-LTTRTO280-TBP LIQTECH 280 TR4 II Addressable RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler..

Thank you!!

Sincerely, Carl
Old 01-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #66
_Stevie_

Quote:
Update: I improved the special version.
Will this probably enable us to track down the missing link for MK1 series?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #67
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Will this probably enable us to track down the missing link for MK1 series?
Sorry, Stevie, this is unrelated to Mk1. In fact I removed even the remainder of attempted support for Mk1 for this special test version. The test version only addresses instability in NI's driver software - it does not deal with protocol specifics. The latter is the reason why I cannot help with Mk1. It would take somebody with a Mk1 to fiddle with the protocol to make it work (I believe it won't be hard at all but you have to have a HW to play around with different things - maybe somebody feels inclined, not much coding experience is required just a bit of time I guess).

In next releases I probably have to drop the Mk1 bits from James Teh's attempts entirely and only focus on S-series Mk2, A series and M series...
Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #68
_Stevie_

I would love to help. I just need to know what to do
Old 01-03-2020, 03:30 AM   #69
brummbear

Default ReaKontrol v0.95

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.95
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.95

Changes from previous release:
+ Improved keyboard detection and connection mechanism
+ Diagnostic messages to user about connection state
+ Allow hot plugging of keyboard after launch of Reaper

Download the updated manual for more details
Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #70
BorsingPhoto

Default launching REAPER V6.2 BEFORE turning on the MKII S-61

Quote:
Sorry, Stevie, this is unrelated to Mk1. In fact I removed even the remainder of attempted support for Mk1 for this special test version. The test version only addresses instability in NI's driver software - it does not deal with protocol specifics. The latter is the reason why I cannot help with Mk1. It would take somebody with a Mk1 to fiddle with the protocol to make it work (I believe it won't be hard at all but you have to have a HW to play around with different things - maybe somebody feels inclined, not much coding experience is required just a bit of time I guess).

In next releases I probably have to drop the Mk1 bits from James Teh's attempts entirely and only focus on S-series Mk2, A series and M series...
-------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I did try launching REAPER V6.2 BEFORE turning on the MKII S-61 but it would NOT "Hot-swap" no matter how many times I would attempt to restart the mentioned NI-Service.. Worked "normally after a reboot though.. Just a follow up Note

Does those EDIT, PATTERN, TRACK, KEY, MODE, and CLEAR Buttons work, is there such a thing as a GOD.. Sorry I meant, MACHINE "Instrument KOMPLETE KONTROL Plugin? (I do not own that MACHINE hardware boxy thingy )

Sincerely, Carl..

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 01-03-2020 at 08:15 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #71
michaelvogt@bluewin.ch

Would be great if also mk1 are supported within Rea Control..
michaelvogt@bluewin.ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #72
gaiamuse

Default ReaKontrol v0.95 not working with M32 Kontrol

I tried to update to v0.95 with M32 Kontrol but the track instance button does not work(does not light up) as in previous versions. Cannot do any Transport controls or anything with track mixer from the keyboard. Had to revert to a previous version.

Also with the previous version & current the Auto button does not light up - cannot toggle automation.

There are just a few other functions that I cannot do with the previous version but most of the basics such as Track Instance button lighting up when opening reaper and transport controls work.

Many thanks for all your work with the project. Would love to have as much functionality possible with the M32 Kontrol.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

cheers,
gaiamuse
gaiamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #73
brummbear

Since I do not have an M32 to test with I can only speculate why you would find these issues.
While not impossible I would be surprised if NI would change the general protocol between S Mk2, A and M keyboards. Also, over time NI updates the driver and besides adding stuff (like MCU support) they should barely change anything in the protocol (they did change a command between NIHIA 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 but I am not aware of any command changes since then up until the current NIHIA 1.9.0). Unfortunately NI does not publish the proprietary protocol, hence everything is reverse engineering.

Is everything up to date on your end (firmware, KK incl drivers)?

I have a tiny update in the making for 0.96 but that is only code efficiency, i.e. even less CPU load than the minimal load ReaKontrol generates right now. Maybe you stay with 0.94 and wait until I release 0.96 and give that one a try then.

Or you could also try 0.95 again and restart the finicky NIHIA driver if you have an issue the the detection of the keyboard and get the error message as per updated manual. For your convenience I have added a script file on the github release page which makes restarting NIHIA more convenient: Create a shortcut to the script and place it on your desktop. Run the script as admin (can be set in the shortcut properties) and NIHIA will be restarted. Or you do it manually in task manager.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:02 AM   #74
gaiamuse

Thank you very much for your reply Brummbear.

I do not get any error message when using the controller with Reaper.
Firmware and KK is up-to-date so not sure why 0.95 doesn't recognize the track instance but does for the rest of the controller (with exception of auto button in which none of the versions enable this)- It is recognizing the controller just not the Track Instance component.

Just to confirm my midi settings is correct for 0.95 (track instance works with the previous versions with these settings)
Options/Preferences/Midi Devices - "Komplete Kontrol MDaw" and "Komplete Kontrol M32 Midi" enabled for both midi input and midi output.
I am on Windows 10. I have also use most of the preference settings suggested in the reakontrol manual.

Any other insights most appreciated and I will of course keep trying any new version and happy to give feedback.

Again many thanks,
cheers,
gaiamuse
gaiamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:15 AM   #75
foxAsteria

Default Bug

It appears that just having this plugin installed causes count in to turn off when stopping record playback.

On the plus side I didn't know it existed because it was installed by accident, and now I'll have to check it out.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #76
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
It appears that just having this plugin installed causes count in to turn off when stopping record playback.

On the plus side I didn't know it existed because it was installed by accident, and now I'll have to check it out.
Thanks for reporting this! It is indeed the behavior I coded and thought would be most suitable for users of this keyboard. The idea is to replicate the behavior of other controllers like my Maschine 2.
However, v0.95 introduced a bug, I.e. having this behavior even if the keyboard is not connected. Will be fixed in next release v0.96.

But your comment made me think that users might prefer a different behavior even when the keyboard is connected: Would it be preferable if the COUNT IN button on the keyboard rather acted like a toggle switch leaving count in enabled even after the recording is stopped? Not sure... curious to hear opinions from others.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #77
foxAsteria

I always have a Maschine 2 controller connected but I've never seen a count-in feature at all on there, I'll have to poke around...

But yea, count-in should be a toggle. We have separate count-in for play and record, so I can't see a need to ever turn that off automatically. If we had a count in when we recorded the first time, we probably want it the second and third time as well.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:02 AM   #78
brummbear

At a closer look COUNT IN requires a more differentiated handling:

* The KK keyboard must replicate the behavior of Maschine for a good reason, i.e. pressing SHIFT & REC must enable COUNT IN, switch on the Metronome and start recording in Reaper. When pressing STOP on the keyboard or in Reaper's transport bar COUNT IN must be disabled and the metronome shall return to its last known state when count in was enabled. The COUNT IN button on the keyboard (SHIFT & REC) should not behave like a toggle or else the usage would be quite inconvenient.

* When setting count in via Reaper's UI (action or checkbox) pressing stop on the keyboard or in Reaper shall not change the state of count in. This addresses your previous concern, i.e. count in via Reaper UI shall have toggle behavior.

The above provides the best of both worlds irrespective of a KK keyboard connected or not. Will be implemented like that in the next release.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #79
foxAsteria

I see. I didn't know about that feature, but yea that's useful. I'm always having to nudge my beats because I didn't start at bar 1, so that would help.

Anyways, thanks for the fix! I've simply deleted the dll for now, since I run Maschine thru MIDI-Ox for controlling Reaper.

Btw does your script handle erasing notes as well? I used to have a script for that, but it doesn't work anymore and that's the one Maschine behavior I couldn't replicate in Reaper.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #80
brummbear

Default ReaKontrol v0.96

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.96
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.96

Changes from previous release:
+ Code Optimization (reduced CPU load)
+ COUNT IN behavior optimized (see this forum thread above for details)
+ MIDI protocol pinned to NIHIA version 2

Last edited by brummbear; 01-27-2020 at 11:11 AM.