Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
Johnlovesbeer
Human being with feelings

Default Expression Pedal Speed Control

Hi all.

Can I control the descent speed of an expression pedal with a midi track?

I'm a guitarist and I've automated all the patch changes on my effects board (with great success) by inserting MIDI triggers into the backing tracks that I use live.
I have one that requires a pitch dive. I've got the dive and return happening but at the moment the dive is instantaneous and I need it to be a little slower. Can the speed be controlled? I'm guessing it would be similar to controlling the speed of a mod wheel.

Cheers
Johnlovesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
mschnell

While I have no idea what you are up to....
If the "expression pedal" is a Midi CC value, that is originated by some hardware and routed to some effect VST, you can find or do a "Midi Filter" (JSFX) plugin that modifies this midi message stream in any way you like.
Supposedly this is an issue dedicated to live playing and best would be handled in the "Live" subforum.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-18-2020 at 03:34 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
Johnlovesbeer

Hi mschnell,

It won't actually be routed as such, the command will eventually be embedded in a backing track which will be on a usb drive, and play on a midi capable player that will send midi signals to a hardware device. Therefore the process that I'm wanting to do isn't live as such.
I've had great success with this using more basic commands, but this one is proving to be difficult.
After more experimenting I'm beginning to think that the hardware itself isn't actually capable of slow sweeps so this may all be for nothing but I'll definitely try your suggestion.
Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Johnlovesbeer; 01-17-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Additional information
Johnlovesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:37 AM   #4
mschnell

I have no idea what you mean by a "midi capable player" and a "hardware device receiving Midi" ....
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote