Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #1
elmore
Human being with feelings

Default Help with midi setup / connections

Hello!

I got my "dream setup", but i'm having trouble making all the connections and especially in understanding what is possible and what is not

What i'd like to achieve is:
1. to be able to use Yamaha DX7s as the master keyboard, the MMT-8 as the sequencer that plays everything, and RX5 as the drum machine. Hopefully so that the RX5 can be programmed separately (instead of sequencing the patterns into MMT-8).
2. to be able to sync this to Reaper. Either by using Reaper as the master clock, or as a slave
3. to be able to use external Vsti instruments as part of the project. If this is impossible then i can live without it.

With the current connections (as seen in the image) i'm able to record notes into the sequencer using the Dx7, when i start the sequencer the drum machine starts. So far everything is ok and plays in sync I can record midi notes into Reaper and i can even play the RX5 with Yamaha Dx7 when the MMT-8 Midi echo is set on.

What i don't know is if the way these are connected is the best / optimal way and is there a way to connect this "rig" to Reaper for sync purposes? I tried to wing it, but looking at the connections i'm not sure if Reaper gets the necessary midi information this way, and it surely can't send anything back (as the midi out of the soundcard isn't connected into anything).

I know i could just ditch the MMT-8 and just use Reaper for sequencing, but i'm hoping to keep stuff "out of the box" as much as possible. For motivational purposes and keeping it 80's I would just move into Reaper at later stages, but if it's possible i would of course like to use as much of Reapers help as possible (Vsti's) while composing / jamming.

ALSO a bonus question If all this goes well... where would i be able to add another synth in the daisy chain? I got Behringer Model D on it's way.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi-setup.jpg (58.0 KB, 92 views)
elmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
mschnell

Seemingly you want to do Live playing with this setup. If so, please see the "Live" subforum.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
elmore

Thanks for the reply Michael!

You're right. In short i want to play Live with this setup (in a home studio enviroment so nothing is mission critical). I checked the Live subforum and there's such a wealth of information that it's impossible not to drown in there.

Things have certainly changed in the years i haven't been active in Reaperland. I'm more from the guitar school of thought so everything midi gets me confused

The way i've set things up was more of an happy accident. The "wiring" i've done looks more understandable now that i've drawn it. I'm still not sure if it's the least optimal way and a cable change here / there would make everything "click" together. Looking at it now it's clear that Reaper can't be the master (as there's not midi out connected), but would a simple cable change make it possible, or would Reaper act as a slave with the current wiring...

I did try making Reaper to wait for the "sync" from external devices, but nothing i did seemed to make that happen. So i guess the way i've set things up isn't correct.

Also thanks for taking the time for reading these rambles!
Old 04-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmore View Post
it's impossible not to drown in there.
"Live playing" is a huge range of different applications.

You can happily ask specific questions over there... (But in fact I have no experience with "syncing" at all, but others might.)
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
elmore

Ok thanks! I'll try posting this to the "Live" subforum