Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #41
olilarkin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I signed up

Fwiw, the biggest thing I would change is combining IGraphics and IGraphicsLice, removing all of the drawing methods, and simply exposing the lice bitmap to the plugin implementer. When iplug was written, lice did not exist (the original implementation used GDI+, which is why the abstraction between IGraphics and IGraphicsLice exists.).

That change would remove a bunch of pointless pass-through code, and make plugin drawing far more flexible. The coder could just call Lice functions directly.
i had a go at doing what you said...

see https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ce/...smod/WDL/IPlug

would be great if you could cast an eye over it.

were you suggesting that we actually get rid of IGraphics :: DrawCircle etc, and just call _LICE::LICE_Circle() etc directly in the IControl draw methods? If so would you suggest removing the IColor and IChannelBlend structs and just using the lice equivalents?

Last edited by olilarkin; 04-08-2011 at 04:30 AM.
olilarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
were you suggesting that we actually get rid of IGraphics :: DrawCircle etc, and just call _LICE::LICE_Circle() etc directly in the IControl draw methods? If so would you suggest removing the IColor and IChannelBlend structs and just using the lice equivalents?
That is what I was suggesting, pretty much. Instead of the plugin calling IGraphics methods to draw primitives, IGraphics would give the plugin direct access to the draw bitmap, and the plugin could use LICE functions to draw/blit on it directly.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #43
olilarkin

over at github, we've stalled a bit because of not enough voices...

if you said you wanted to be involved and have a chance this weekend, please could approve/disapprove/comment of this pull request to remove jpg support and tidy up the vs projects...

https://github.com/audio-plugins/wdl-ce/issues#issue/42

thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #44
olilarkin

new readme pull request and 64 bit support added. github's notification system seems a bit limited, so i'll post updates about what we're doing here.

as before, comments are very welcome approve/disapprove!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #45
HoRNet

i would like to be involved, i made some custom mods to IPlug for my plug

http://www.hor-net.com/plugin/

and incorporated some other changes (don't remember exactly where i got them...)

Anyway i would be interested in having a single maintained tree where i can find everything i need instead of working on my own and having to patch sources every time...

Count me in i will signup on git-hub.
HoRNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
cc_

I've signed up but haven't had time to figure out what to do yet!
cc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #47
olilarkin

so we now have mac/win 64bit support in the IPlugEffect most-basic-plugin example.

next issues are...

- make some other example projects based on the ones in WDL/IPlug/Example/
- serialization stuff
- merging IGraphicsLice to IGraphics
- get fonts working in a nice cross platform way
- get text entry and menu entry working in a nice cross platform way

RE fonts, In my experiments with Lice Cached font, I still get annoyed that the fonts look different on windows and mac, because it's using the platform font rendering. I suggest we incorporate the Freetype library and load in .ttf files as resources. This way we should get pixel-identical font rendering on mac/win. If anyone has any opinions about that please speak up! The freetype license seems to be compatible.

oli

ps. still wish we had some more contributors... seems to be very quiet around here :-(
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #48
cerberus

Quote:
RE fonts, In my experiments with Lice Cached font, I still get annoyed that the fonts look different on windows and mac, because it's using the platform font rendering. I suggest we incorporate the Freetype library and load in .ttf files as resources. This way we should get pixel-identical font rendering on mac/win. If anyone has any opinions about that please speak up! The freetype license seems to be compatible.
yes, please. i know about all of these issues, the blinking of intersecting IText too.

Quote:
ps. still wish we had some more contributors... seems to be very quiet around here :-(
i'll do my best to stick with it; i think some documentation which is sensitive to
the needs of n°°bs, could catalyse activities here. e.g. there's more than
one "Draw()" method called by controls etc. i had to seek help to even
recongnize that. so how does one become educated about iplug?
(code completion in xcode is not what windows users imagine, btw)

so i hope that documentation could be a top priority.

Last edited by cerberus; 04-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #49
Rome

Quote:
I signed up as well.

I'm currently have a lot of work to do in the 'real world' but I'm curious to see if I can get parts of WDL/LICE to work under Linux (GTK+ or maybe even pure X). I believe it can be done, especially since much of the code already is cross platform.

Quote:
Freetype would be a great choice as it would remove a huge platform dependency from the code. This may be a good place to start for me. I just have to figure out all that Git stuff first.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #50
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
i'll do my best to stick with it; i think some documentation which is sensitive to
the needs of n°°bs, could catalyse activities here. e.g. there's more than
one "Draw()" method called by controls etc. i had to seek help to even
recongnize that. so how does one become educated about iplug?
(code completion in xcode is not what windows users imagine, btw)

so i hope that documentation could be a top priority.
it's hard for sure. Documentation is a priority. actually the basic doxygen that we have added is already quite helpful for understanding the class hierarchies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
I'm currently have a lot of work to do in the 'real world' but I'm curious to see if I can get parts of WDL/LICE to work under Linux (GTK+ or maybe even pure X). I believe it can be done, especially since much of the code already is cross platform.

Freetype would be a great choice as it would remove a huge platform dependency from the code. This may be a good place to start for me. I just have to figure out all that Git stuff first.
yeah, git can be a bit tricky to understand at first and quite laborious via the command line. Now i am using a graphical frontend, it's much easier.

I am interested in getting some kind of linux support for iplug, but i'm not sure what is the best format to support. Probably lv2, but i don't understand how the gui works. It's not a high priority for me tho.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #51
HoRNet

i haven't found the time to try to compile my plug against the IPlug-Ce, i hope to be able to do it in this week...
HoRNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #52
Rome

Quote:
yeah, git can be a bit tricky to understand at first and quite laborious via the command line. Now i am using a graphical frontend, it's much easier.

I am interested in getting some kind of linux support for iplug, but i'm not sure what is the best format to support. Probably lv2, but i don't understand how the gui works. It's not a high priority for me tho.
I think it is a good idea to leave out Linux plugin formats for now and concentrate on the basics, eg getting basic applications and graphics running first - maybe starting with the jet pack example and building up from there.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #53
olilarkin

did you see http://www.1014.org/?article=414

i guess that means that most of wdl is probably linux ready already. certainly, swell seems sometimes to be named "simple windows emulation for linux" (and sometimes "...for losers who use osx")

wdl-ce is more of an iplug-ce at the moment to be honest. iplug doesn't use much of swell, so getting it to run on linux is a different project than building a standalone app, with maybe a little crossover.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #54
dogby

Default Git for newbies

Hi,

I am writing a plug. I have made some mods to WDL/IPlug that might be useful to the community. And I have been experimenting with Oli's igraphics text mod for allowing multiple fonts.

Have to admit, I know almost nothing about git and github, and have some very basic questions.

I've got a github account now.

Which repo do I fork ?

Oli's
Vesco's
Audio-plugin-wdl-Ce
?

Why has Oli's repo got 20 branches ? Whilst the other have 3 ?

Which of Oli's 20 branches is the "best" one ?

How would I go about incorporating Oli's igraphicstextmod changes into my repo

Sorry for the very naive questions

dogby
dogby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #55
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogby View Post
Hi,

I am writing a plug. I have made some mods to WDL/IPlug that might be useful to the community. And I have been experimenting with Oli's igraphics text mod for allowing multiple fonts.

Have to admit, I know almost nothing about git and github, and have some very basic questions.

I've got a github account now.

Which repo do I fork ?

Oli's
Vesco's
Audio-plugin-wdl-Ce
?

Why has Oli's repo got 20 branches ? Whilst the other have 3 ?

Which of Oli's 20 branches is the "best" one ?

How would I go about incorporating Oli's igraphicstextmod changes into my repo

Sorry for the very naive questions

dogby

you should fork from audio-plugins wdl-ce, although for the time being, until it stabilises a bit and we make the first "release" I would recommend that people don't move their existing projects to use wdl-ce. but please go ahead fork that one and submit your contributions

there are ~20 branches in my repo because every time i'm adding something i create a work branch based on candidate to fix that particular thing, and when it's ready to go the the main repo I make a pull request. unless its for your own experiments, i wouldn't base your projects on these work branches. If you can wait a little bit i hope i can get the igraphics and text stuff ready to go in the main wdl-ce repo, but still need to work out how to render the fonts with freetype
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #56
olilarkin

Default basic linux vst support

I realised that since people are compiling native vst plugins for linux, the simplest route to adding linux support to iplug would be to support native vst on linux. With a few changes i got the iplugeffect project compiling, but it doesn't load properly in jost ( a linux vst host)

I think it's todo with the plugin entry point in IPlug_include_in_plug_src.h. Any linux gurus fancy giving it a shot?

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ce/...iclinuxsupport

oli
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #57
liteon

Quote:
I realised that since people are compiling native vst plugins for linux, the simplest route to adding linux support to iplug would be to support native vst on linux. With a few changes i got the iplugeffect project compiling, but it doesn't load properly in jost ( a linux vst host)

I think it's todo with the plugin entry point in IPlug_include_in_plug_src.h. Any linux gurus fancy giving it a shot?

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ce/...iclinuxsupport

oli
a couple of things:

- while this is viable and recommended:
Code:
  #define EXPORT __attribute__((visibility("default")))
just give it a try without the attribute (i.e. #define EXPORT)
while the attribute can provide the equivalent to __dllexport, there a couple of downsides:
* not all ELF targets recognize the attribute.
* GCC >= 4

- not sure exactly with what warning levels IPlug is compiled, but in the case of the holos library (was axonlib) there is no definition of a "main" function at all for shared objects, since it is presumably reserved by the language. with higher warning levels the compiler (e.g. gcc) may account for it - the language specification is strict about the declaration of "main" as:
Code:
int main(void);
/* or */
int main(int num_params, char** params);

/* and most definitely not as */
AEffect* main(audioMasterCallback audioMaster);
the work-around for gcc/mingw is to "inject" the "main" symbol (compiler specific naming) at the declaration of an entry-point and then override the definition locally with a macro. this is not exactly a hack / trick, but the equivalent of manually defining the desired symbol in the assembly output:
Code:
#if defined __linux__
  /* gcc */
  #define _ASM_MAIN_SYMBOL asm ("main");
#endif
#if defined __APPLE__
  /*
    probably "main" as well.
    you need to check what naming scheme gcc-apple is using.
  */
  #define _ASM_MAIN_SYMBOL asm ("main");
#endif
#if defined _WIN32
  /* mingw */
  #define _ASM_MAIN_SYMBOL asm ("_main");
#endif

/*
  declaration of the entry point here.
  notice the symbol definition on the right
*/
AEffect* main_plugin(audioMasterCallback audioMaster) _ASM_MAIN_SYMBOL
#define  main main_plugin

/* definition of the entry point */
EXPORT int main(audioMasterCallback hostCallback)
{
  return (VstIntPtr) VSTPluginMain(hostCallback);
}
it could be something else entry point related, but also something in the library interface...
jost is not a very pretentious host in general, but try something like energyxt-linux as well. also try running these linux hosts from a terminal and observe the output while loading the library.

cheers
--
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #58
olilarkin

Thanks very much, I will give those things a try.

On github I have a pull request where I have created msvc and Xcode files for tale's examples and also added in some "place holder" projects for testbed/examples. One of those is a project that would show off all the different iplug controls like vstgui's drawtest. I was hoping that someone might like to take on the task of making that example.

Any volunteers? don't all put your hands up at once!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #59
cerberus

could anyone please estimate how close iplug might
be to being able to build vst3 format plug-ins?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #60
olilarkin

I think vst3 support is quite a lot of work, not a priority for me.

Do any of you guys who said they'd like to work on documentation fancy fixing the example projects as I mentioned above? Would be a good way to learn iplug and good examples are the best form of documentation IMO

Would really like to assign some tasks so I can get on with other things(text etc)
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #61
markheath

I've signed up, looks an interesting project. Do you have a roadmap / list of desired features somewhere?

I've mainly been doing .NET audio apps in recent years, but I can do C/C++ too, and maybe I'll be able to contribute something.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #62
olilarkin

The best list is at the top of this thread. A roadmap is a good idea, but at the moment it seems like no one else has any time to contribute to this project. Until we get some more devs who are really committed to it, I don't know if it can work
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #63
captain caveman

Is it something based along these lines you want for the GUI example?....

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1109861...pleGUI_001.png

... I haven't seen the VSTGUI example so I don't know what to aim for.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #64
olilarkin

yep exactly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-05-04 at 16.08.20.jpg (42.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #65
captain caveman

Quote:
yep exactly
Cool, leave it with me. I'm glad I can be of assistance to the project!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
olilarkin

great, thanks...if you have any questions about how to use the controls I can probably help, i've used most of them now. Also It would be good to use some nice-looking knob/slider gfx. I have some we could use http://olilarkin.blogspot.com/2011/03/povray-knobs.html

If someone is interested in writing an "iplug getting started" pdf/html tutorial that would be very useful
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #67
captain caveman

I was going for more of a technical sort of demo where I have a couple of controls for some of them showing the effect of the different parameters and target areas shown etc. Here is the Skinman image so far with the multi control images all completed (single buttons in this image for the RadioButtons for obvious reasons). I've coded and tested down to the IContactControl so far.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1110857...pleGUI_002.png

I sort of like the minimalist look, but if you guys want more standard controls then it won't be much hassle to change them.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #68
olilarkin

minimal is fine... looking good
Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #69
captain caveman

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on the offer of help when it gets to the third column too!!

Oh, and is there an example of IKnobRotatingMaskControl out there so I can see what it does? It'd save me having to put together random images etc to test.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #70
cerberus

i find that PromptUserInput perhaps could be broken in wdl-ce for windows xp platform...

(tested with reaper3.x). the text box opens, but it won't accept a user input. works fine on osx.
this could be a bug in my own code... can anyone verify that PromptUserInput does work properly
on all platforms with wdl-ce ? i also notice that /*on windows and osx audio units, that the
text box is larger than with cockos wdl, and it is offset to the right slightly (not centered
anymore) and it */ audio units lacks the highlighted outer border "focus ring".

Last edited by cerberus; 05-12-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: incorrect observation commented out
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #71
olilarkin

Captain caveman - Actually I haven't tried that control- not sure how it works!

Cereberus- there may well be some problems with ipromptuserinput. In my personal repo I have got windows and osx cocoa almost identical but osx carbon still has a blue ring that is larger than the text entry area. Going to submit these changes to wdl ce soon.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #72
cerberus

hey oli, fyi: here is how it looks in cubase (vst, osx):

i think the focus ring is there actually, but hard to see..

in reaper (osx, audio units):

the focus ring is not there, but it still works.

windows/reaper (xp, vst) appears like this:

here, the user input does not take.

thanks for your continuing work on this.

Last edited by cerberus; 05-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #73
cerberus

hrm, i wouldn't be knowing much at all about win_api...
may i please mindmeld with your personal repo and
assimilate the fixed PromptUserInput() ?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #74
olilarkin

you might find what you want here: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/dev/WDL.git/ I think the version there has that stuff
Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #75
cerberus

ty oli!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #76
olilarkin

been doing some work on the examples branch. added resampler example and got most of the msvc and codeblocks projects compiling. still need to implement one for chunks, multichannel stuff, pitchshifter... and add in the controls one that captin caveman is working on

the idea of these as well as documenting, is to provide a testbed to evaluate all the wdl-ce mods against.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #77
sstillwell

Okay, which one's the "official" site/repo for wdl-ce now?

Scott
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #78
olilarkin

https://github.com/audio-plugins/wdl-ce/
Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #79
captain caveman

Sorry about the delay, my laptop broke so I'm back up and running now.

That's it nearly complete apart from a couple of issues....

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8644/IControlExample.dll*

The IRotatingMaskControl has me confused, you can see the component images in the background image but the assembled control doesn't do much even thought the images are in the right place. Here it is...
Code:
IBitmap base = pGraphics->LoadIBitmap(IKRMC_BASE_ID, IKRMC_BASE_FN);
	IBitmap mask = pGraphics->LoadIBitmap(IKRMC_MASK_ID, IKRMC_MASK_FN);
	IBitmap top = pGraphics->LoadIBitmap(IKRMC_TOP_ID, IKRMC_TOP_FN);
	pGraphics->AttachControl(new IKnobRotatingMaskControl(this, kIKRMC_X, kIKRMC_Y, kIKnobRotatingMaskControl, &base, &mask, &top));
I am not sure what ICaptionControl is supposed to do either. I tried to link it in OnParamChange to another parameter, but no dice. I could do with a nudge in the right direction for that one.

Finally, the IFileSelectorControl is probably one that a more capable IPlugger should do.

edit: *plugin updated as per Tale's post below.

Last edited by captain caveman; 05-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #80
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
The IRotatingMaskControl has me confused, you can see the component images in the background image but the assembled control doesn't do much even thought the images are in the right place.
I think that is because the default value of 0.75 * PI for minAngle and maxAngle seems to be in radians, but I think the angles should be specified in degrees, so 0.75 * 180 = 135 would be a better default value. If you add more correct values to your example, then you should at least be able to move the control:

Code:
pGraphics->AttachControl(new IKnobRotatingMaskControl(this, kIKRMC_X, kIKRMC_Y, kIKnobRotatingMaskControl, &base, &mask, &top, -135., 135.));
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote