Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #41
Zeno
Human being with feelings

Would love to see some more left drag mouse modifier options for fixed lane play markers.
A crossfade modifier would help a lot for example.
The current system where you have to target the top edge of an active item when comping to make a crossfade requires a lot of mouse movement across the screen.
It would be much more efficient to - for example - ctrl+left drag play markers to perform crossfades. Especially because this way crossfades are possible even if the track height is relatively low.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #42
mawi

Why is the value -2.5 dB given in the pan law menu, is this a common value? Wouldn't -1.5 make more sense because it is exactly between -3.0 and 0 dB?
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #43
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Why is the value -2.5 dB given in the pan law menu, is this a common value? Wouldn't -1.5 make more sense because it is exactly between -3.0 and 0 dB?
Yeah, it's a common value... -2.5 dB =~ 0.75, and there is a often used approximation of the equal power formula that results in 0.75 instead of 1/sqrt(2) as the crossover point.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #44
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
"Constant gain" doesn't seem very descriptive to us. What does it mean to you?

From a quick scan it looks like other daws call the first mode "constant power" or "equal power", and the second mode is usually either "linear taper" or just the implied result of what you get if you don't have constant power enabled. I think the third mode is unique to REAPER.
Sorry, I referred to it as "constant gain" instead of equal gain as you had adopted that terminology for constant power - rather than equal power - and I didn't want to cause confusion. Which I clearly did (or irritation lol). Think we are talking about the same thing, just using different terms. What I meant was with amplitude 'x' and pan knob value 'p', and the relationship x = p/200 + .5, a linear/equal gain panning would be 1-x for the left amplitude and x for the right amplitude as opposed to sqrt(1-x) for left and sqrt(x) for right in a square/equal power example. So, technically it would be equal 'combined' gain for linear and equal 'combined' power for sine/square but they are usually just referred to as equal gain and equal power, hence me using those terms.

Quote:
Maybe instead of constant power vs linear taper we should describe these as sin/cos taper vs linear taper?
I would vote for just leaving it constant power or equal power. While sin/cos is indeed referring to the exact math, again I think the general end result is a little more important and new users will be able to differentiate better. At the end of the day, whatever you decide I'm sure will be fine but I do think being a bit more simplistic on the terminology will help those migrating over - even though it might not be exact enough for your tastes.

Quote:
FWIW we will probably eventually change the default for new projects to the hybrid taper function.
I would be in favor of this as well and would probably have set this as my default pan law mode. Not that you really need my take on it

Having said all that, I think these changes do make it much cleaner as well as easier to get a handle on everything and I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #45
schwa
Administrator

The linear pan function is only constant gain when the pan law is -6dB though, right? And the sin/cos pan function is only constant power when the pan law is -3dB. I think that's causing some of the terminology confusion. Prior art isn't terribly helpful here as terminology is really all over the place in different applications. I mean, pro tools calls it "pan depth" :/.

Anyway the latest build has sin/cos taper, linear taper, and hybrid taper. Maybe that will work?

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #46
ashcat_lt

Which one literally just turns down the channel I’m panning away from in a relatively natural way?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #47
Klangfarben

Quote:
The linear pan function is only constant gain when the pan law is -6dB though, right? And the sin/cos pan function is only constant power when the pan law is -3dB. I think that's causing some of the terminology confusion. Prior art isn't terribly helpful here as terminology is really all over the place in different applications. I mean, pro tools calls it "pan depth" :/.

Anyway the latest build has sin/cos taper, linear taper, and hybrid taper. Maybe that will work?
Lol point taken. Works for me!

Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #48
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Which one literally just turns down the channel I’m panning away from in a relatively natural way?
If you're starting from the center position, all of them turn down the channel you're panning away from.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #49
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
[*]+ Actions window: update shortcut list when editing an existing shortcut
Thanks! This fixes this bug.