Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #41
Triode
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Slight deviation, now that all this take clicking / marker adding is happening....

Is there any way to select an item WITHOUT changing the active take? In my honest opinion this should be the Default behaviour, and Changing Active Take should require a mouse-modifier. It's just so damned easy to accidentally mess up your comp and start selecting different takes...especially with certain colour situations where it's almost impossible to tell which take is actually active!

I've messed with things like locking all the takes before comping, and assigning an Unlock modifier when wanting to audition the other takes...but as always this is hackish.
I think the only way is by changing the view so that only the active take is visible.
It's in the action list. Can't remember what it's called but it does what you're asking.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #42
karbomusic

Quote:
Is there any way to select an item WITHOUT changing the active take? In my honest opinion this should be the Default behaviour,
I don't think this will work for you but collapsing takes (CTRL+L then use T and SHIFT+T to move between takes) always solves that problem. It's one of many reasons I almost never use takes expanded.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #43
ferropop

Thanks guys, yeah that's what I figured -- definitely make heavy use of Ctrl-L to collapse lanes, it's unfortunately during comping that this comes up...maybe clicking to a section I've comped because I want to slip-edit it or nudge it, and oops I've accidentally switched the active take, and oops hitting Undo makes you lose Melodyne edits, ... you see where this is going haha.

Any support on the idea of (at least an option) requiring a modifier to change active take? I'll write up a FR.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks guys, yeah that's what I figured -- definitely make heavy use of Ctrl-L to collapse lanes, it's unfortunately during comping that this comes up...maybe clicking to a section I've comped because I want to slip-edit it or nudge it, and oops I've accidentally switched the active take, and oops hitting Undo makes you lose Melodyne edits, ... you see where this is going haha.

Any support on the idea of (at least an option) requiring a modifier to change active take? I'll write up a FR.
I know I and others have a few FRs that are asking for "lock active take" to actaully/fully lock active take...

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Though I think that doesn't really address what you need.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #45
Triode

Quote:

I'd support that but I can see a possible complication in implementation: Item mouse modifiers normally come in the "top half" and "bottom half" of item click variety. This one would have to work across both all the time.

Regarding nudging you can the nudge contents of the active take with a key command. If you're in the habit of keeping all takes visible all the time I can see how you'd get tripped up by current functionality
Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
mccrabney

Quote:
t's just so damned easy to accidentally mess up your comp and start selecting different takes...especially with certain colour situations where it's almost impossible to tell which take is actually active!
agree, especially with your especially.

like karbomusic, this behavior is why i don't use takes very often when recording studio musicians, preferring instead to use different tracks or fipm when compiling best takes.

i use [horizontal zoom on edit cursor] + [edit cursor position movement] as a navigational workflow, so i'm often quickly clicking around my arrange view to move my edit cursor. accidentally hitting a take-item (on an unselected track, no less) and unknowingly changing the active take in doing so:

my mouse modifier for left click is "select item and move edit cursor," but what really happens is "select item/take, and move edit cursor"

edit: aaand as ferropop referred to in his comment about the colors, the above gif also reiterates the need for selected colored items to obey theme settings for "selected item"

good enough discussion but off topic of take markers. so it goes
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #47
karbomusic

Just to clarify, I love takes, I just use CTRL+L and keep them collapsed. With that I could have 4 tracks with 200 takes each only taking up the space of 4 tracks and I can never click the wrong one. Now, I'm 98% audio as far as takes go so any MIDI issues with takes are something I rarely see.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #48
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Just to clarify, I love takes, I just use CTRL+L and keep them collapsed. With that I could have 4 tracks with 200 takes each only taking up the space of 4 tracks and I can never click the wrong one. Now, I'm 98% audio as far as takes go so any MIDI issues with takes are something I rarely see.
Karbo/Triode/McCrabney I've been playing around since we started talking... I was able to create this behaviour by assigning Take: Activate Take Under Mouse to Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Leftclick:

...with the precursor of running "Item properties: Lock to active take (mouse click will not change active take)" on all the items in the track.

So basically, before comping lock all the items with that action, then use Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Leftclick to actually change the take. Closest we're gonna get I think
Old 03-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #49
Triode

That's interesting. But...
Does that work with multitrack takes across tracks ?
I'm guessing "under mouse" means what it says (and ignores other selected items on other tracks?)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #50
Coachz

Quote:
Karbo/Triode/McCrabney I've been playing around since we started talking... I was able to create this behaviour by assigning Take: Activate Take Under Mouse to Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Leftclick:

...with the precursor of running "Item properties: Lock to active take (mouse click will not change active take)" on all the items in the track.

So basically, before comping lock all the items with that action, then use Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Leftclick to actually change the take. Closest we're gonna get I think
Is there any way to listen to other takes while still having one take locked to be cropped? If somebody can crack that nut I'll be in heaven
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #51
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I think the only way is by changing the view so that only the active take is visible.
It's in the action list. Can't remember what it's called but it does what you're asking.
Yes, this "collapsing" so that only the active lane is visible is called
"Show all takes" off, and there is an action (thus keycommand) for toggling it.

Last edited by enroe; 03-16-2020 at 11:03 PM.
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #52
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Is there any way to listen to other takes while still having one take locked to be cropped? If somebody can crack that nut I'll be in heaven
This is exactly what the "compings" do: You can listen to
different choices of takes.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 AM   #53
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
This is exactly what the "compings" do: You can listen to
different choices of takes.
I don't store comps or want different comps. I commit. I just need a way to Mark each best take and still allow me to audition the others and then crop and done.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #54
ferropop

Quote:
I don't store comps or want different comps. I commit. I just need a way to Mark each best take and still allow me to audition the others and then crop and done.
I'm sure there'll be a way to abuse Take Markers (for what they weren't intended) to hackishly achieve this, once all the Take Marker Actions have been created. I imagine something like scripting a key to "Add Take Marker Named (WEIRD HASH)" to mark your good takes, then a Cropping Script "Cycle takes, If Take Doesn't Contain Marker Named (WEIRD HASH), Delete Take"...
Old 03-17-2020, 05:18 AM   #55
Coachz

Quote:
I'm sure there'll be a way to abuse Take Markers (for what they weren't intended) to hackishly achieve this, once all the Take Marker Actions have been created. I imagine something like scripting a key to "Add Take Marker Named (WEIRD HASH)" to mark your good takes, then a Cropping Script "Cycle takes, If Take Doesn't Contain Marker Named (WEIRD HASH), Delete Take"...
Yeah it seems a tricky problem. I display all of my takes at the same time so the crop code would simply need to Loop through each take (next take) to see which one is marked to be cropped and then crop them
Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #56
ferropop

Quote:
Yeah it seems a tricky problem. I display all of my takes at the same time so the crop code would simply need to Loop through each take (next take) to see which one is marked to be cropped and then crop them
I'll bet someone fancy with scripting could already do something like this leveraging other currently-existing functionality. Off the top of my head -- a key could be assigned to Rename Active Take to something special...prepend the take name with "***KEEPER***" or something...then same thing, cycle the takes looking for anything that doesn't start with ***KEEPER*** and delete them.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #57
Coachz

Quote:
I'll bet someone fancy with scripting could already do something like this leveraging other currently-existing functionality. Off the top of my head -- a key could be assigned to Rename Active Take to something special...prepend the take name with "***KEEPER***" or something...then same thing, cycle the takes looking for anything that doesn't start with ***KEEPER*** and delete them.
Yeah I agree that it seems very doable for someone with more advanced Reaper scripting skills and I'm hoping someone will have some spare time and be able to come up with one. I'm extremely happy to test it should it appear
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #58
Triode

I reckon via take colour would be the clearest way to script this
Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #59
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I reckon via take colour would be the clearest way to script this
If it was done via take color it would be nice to have a setting in the script where you could adjust how different the marked take for cropping would be relative to its current color. That way you could adjust the contrast just right to suit your eyes to make it nicely visible which one is currently marked for cropping.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #60
ferropop

Quote:
If it was done via take color it would be nice to have a setting in the script where you could adjust how different the marked take for cropping would be relative to its current color. That way you could adjust the contrast just right to suit your eyes to make it nicely visible which one is currently marked for cropping.
The issue with this sort of thing is that it'll mess up the colour relationship between takes across items. Maybe this doesn't matter, especially if the goal here is to crop takes anyways haha, but yeah just a thing to consider...
Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #61
Coachz

Quote:
The issue with this sort of thing is that it'll mess up the colour relationship between takes across items. Maybe this doesn't matter, especially if the goal here is to crop takes anyways haha, but yeah just a thing to consider...
Yeah that's a good point but it would not be an issue for my use case
Old 08-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #62
mattn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I'll use them on playback, As I loop thru takes I could mark parts good or bad (using exe until we get API), it should help speed up what to keep/where to split,etc,.

Is this helper available somewhere?
Old 10-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #63
EcBaPr

Does anyone know if its possible to send take markers names to tablet via OSC ? I know you can send timeline markers and region names but haven't been able to find any info on whether the newer take markers can be sent also ?

Last edited by EcBaPr; 10-10-2020 at 09:00 AM.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #64
JasonTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn View Post
Is this helper available somewhere?
Quote:
I'll use them on playback, As I loop thru takes I could mark parts good or bad (using exe until we get API), it should help speed up what to keep/where to split,etc,.

To answer Edgemeal's request I wrote a little script. I was looking for the same functionality myself. You would need to save two copies of this script one for "good" and the other for "bad" then just run them with separate keyboard shortcuts. I didn't make a dialog as I didn't know how to and also I imagine a keyboard shortcut would be more useful anyway. I hope this helps someone! Just save the below code in the scripts folder as "good marker.lua" and "bad marker.lua" (or whatever names you like").
I hope this is useful for someone.

IMHO it's definitely the best way to comp, listen to each take and add good and bad markers then you can see which is probably the best take and you can see where the nice bits are in the other takes!
Code:
------------user variables
red = reaper.ColorToNative(255,0,0)|0x1000000
green = reaper.ColorToNative(0,255,0)|0x1000000

name = "Good"  --write good or bad here....or leave blank like name=""  
color = green  -- change this to red for "bad" version of this script 

-----------code

function Insert_Colored_Take_Marker()   
	cursorPosition = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
	playPosition = reaper.GetPlayPosition()--use this instead of cursorPosition if you want to add marker at the playhead rather than where you clicked (only works while playing)

item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0, 0)  --first selected item in the first project open
	activeTakeNumber= reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "I_CURTAKE")
	itemPosition = reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "D_POSITION")
	take = reaper.GetMediaItemTake(item, activeTakeNumber);
	startOffset =  reaper.GetMediaItemTakeInfo_Value(take, "D_STARTOFFS")

reaper.SetTakeMarker(take, -1, name, cursorPosition+startOffset-itemPosition, color)
end

function Main()
	reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()               
	Insert_Colored_Take_Marker()
	reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Insert_Colored_Take_Marker", 0)
end  

Main()
JasonTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #65
J24992

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTurk View Post
To answer Edgemeal's request I wrote a little script.
JasonTurk thank you for posting this example! Exactly what I was searching for to use in a similar workflow.
J24992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #66
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTurk View Post
To answer Edgemeal's request I wrote a little script. I was looking for the same functionality myself. You would need to save two copies of this script one for "good" and the other for "bad" then just run them with separate keyboard shortcuts. I didn't make a dialog as I didn't know how to and also I imagine a keyboard shortcut would be more useful anyway.
That was a Windows app I made before they gave us the API to do it , FWIW, this is what I've been using since.

EDIT: Code removed, see ReaPack for similar scripts

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-25-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #67
J24992

Quote:
That was a Windows app I made before they gave us the API to do it , FWIW, this is what I've been using since.
Awesome, thanks Edgemeal!

Luckily I missed that grim period before all the goodies made it to APIs.

Bonus points for the extra steps to handle all those conditions and remove any previous Take Marker 👏👏👏
J24992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #68
Coachz

Did take markers get dropped from development ? I sure wish I could comp takes like in this: https://youtu.be/_bNMVnlP5YQ?t=383

Coachz Repo
Old 06-23-2022, 07:19 AM   #69
ferropop

Quote:
Did take markers get dropped from development ? I sure wish I could comp takes like in this: https://youtu.be/_bNMVnlP5YQ?t=383
They're called Play Markers now and you can pretty much do what's in that video now.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:57 AM   #70
Coachz

Quote:
They're called Play Markers now and you can pretty much do what's in that video now.
Would it be possible to see a demo of how to do it? I'm guessing this has to be stitched together somehow to make it work. Was there a discussion about how they work that I missed or when their name got changed? Does it provide for a collapsible summary Lane also?

Coachz Repo