Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Copying Items copies ARM status of envelopes as well

Hey there. This is a mixing request, as this mainly affects moving and copying items with envelopes that are active and armed.

When moving/copying such an item to a track with identical plugins, Reaper loses the ARMing status of the envelopes.

Demonstration. Imagine this with over 100 parameters and you have to find the three that are now stuck. You have to arm them to be able to move them again.

Which means I have to hunt for what I consider defective parameter envelopes again. When you copy an empty item that has reverb settings attached and where the auto-activate&arm thing happened to some parameters that I changed and wrote automation for, the resulting copy on another track where this auto-activate&arm didn't happen now has some envelopes that are NOT armed.

They need to be armed by hand. Yeah, I agree. What a fantastic idea to create a source of confusion, bugs in the mix and things to hunt for.

That means I cannot automate those active but DISARMED parameter envelopes any longer.

This is with Reaper up to v6.58 x64 Windows 10 x64.

REQUEST
Copying ARM status of envelopes for items being copied or moved to the target track if the same plugin/envelope exists there.
Priority ? To me this is a bug of the same kind as one where the auto-activate&arm initializing of envelopes did a 0.5-who-cares-what-else-was-there-before value setup. That was taken care of.

It's a lot more than a annoyance. More of a design hole. Hope you close this real soon. I just got fucked by that again today.

Last edited by airon; 05-26-2022 at 07:48 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
hans

Yes. +1 It's quite annoying hehe.
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
airon

Added a video demonstration.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
airon

Here's the example that affected me four days ago.

I was mixing a film with a whole bunch of 5.1 reverbs. I didn't automate every parameter YET and started changing parameters for a scene on one of the reverbs that I hadn't touched yet. In other words, there were no envelopes for those parameters yet. I'd usually do this in Latch Preview mode as it allows me to stop and start the transport without losing my changes.

After writing those changes and hiding the newly popped up envelopes, as they do for every parameter I change in a writing mode, I wanted to copy those settings to a scene further down the line.

I had to copy the settings to a different track, as the reverb on the same track was already in use for something else at the target area.

The settings are contained in an empty item that I label. That way I can copy settings by simply copying this empty item.

The source and target tracks had identical plugins, but on the target track the reverb didn't have all the envelopes activated and armed as the reverb on the source track.

Both target and source track had the READ mode active iirc. It's safer that way.

After copying the empty item with the reverb settings from the source track to the target track, new envelopes sprang up.

But Reaper had seemingly automatically DISARMED those new envelopes.

That meant I could no longer change those settings anywhere else in any writing automation mode, because the envelopes were not armed.

I now had to FIND those checkboxes with the poorly visible checkmarks in the envelope window of the target track, and re-check the ARM boxes of the parameters that had been activated but not armed.

This not-arming of envelopes probably isn't supposed to create this kind of busy work for the user, right ? I don't get what the point of that function is to be honest, though I won't mind if it remains.

I would simply love to have the option to also copy the ARM status of envelopes from the source track to the target track.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
airon

Maybe a single option needs to be introduced.

Always arm newly created envelopes.

The option in Preferences/
Project
Track/Send/Default
Arm new envelopes
actually does not affect the behaviour documented in the first post. Maybe it should.