Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
ColonelAlamode
Human being with feelings

Default 64 Bit ASIO loading sequence (Win 8.1)

Hello. I am a device driver engineer for Focusrite / Novation. I'm working on a new release of our 64 bit ASIO driver and I'm debugging a loading issue that I suspect has to do with COM registration. Can you tell me if reaper does any sort of test on ASIO entries before just getting the CLSID and calling CoCreateInstance()? I have 2 instances of the asio driver installed each with a unique description and CLSID but using the same DLL ( named differently). One works, one doesn't. In the non-working scenario, CoCreateInstance() is never being called.

In the meantime I will verify whether or not this issue occurs with other 64bit DAWs.

Thanks very much.
-Wade

Last edited by ColonelAlamode; 01-28-2014 at 09:47 AM.
ColonelAlamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
ivansc

Now this is an exciting first post!

So nice to see actual evidence that Focusrite are actively working on this!

Welcome.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
ColonelAlamode

Verified in PT11 - same issue. If any cockos developers (or anyone with the source knowledge ) know this it would really help me to figure this issue out. Most apps perform these steps when instantiating an ASIO driver.

1.) Enumerate HKLM\Software\ASIO to get the driver CLSIDs
2,) Instantiate the CLSID of your choice, via CoCreateInstance(clsid from above)
More steps though they're irrelevant as in this failure case, CoCreatInstance() is never getting called.

Normally, behind the scenes, Windoze directs the app to either the actual key or the Wow6432Node… based on the app’s “bit-ness;” 64 or 32 bit respectively. Its as though some sort of pre-instantiation sanity test is failing...

Thanks again,
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
ColonelAlamode

When all else fails... Read the spec... Asio "driver" names are 32 chars max... My lovely new descriptive names were > 32 chars...