Old 02-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
mschuster
Human being with feelings

Default TRANSCEND - Metal Prog?

a friend thought i should try writing some prog, so i gave it a whirl. this is by no means a true prog song, but i guess my interpretation of one??

the lyrics sort of took a left-turn into WTF-ville half way through. A little different for me. every song i write sort of takes on a life of it's own. it's own journey. i just go with the flow these days. you never know where it'll lead.

hope you enjoy it.

post a comment if the urge hits!

mark

https://soundcloud.com/markbschuster/transcend

P.S.
i put together a video too. just felt like this one was begging for it. it's pretty lame. a bunch of free footage, but the best i was willing to do on this one. if interested:
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
ginodi

Default Wow!

Yes, I watched the video and was quite impressed--surely a Prog metal piece. Production wise it sounds quite professional. The only problem I have with the Prog Metal genre is that Petrucci set the bar so high on the soloing aspect, that when somebody is a gifted player it is an almost instant comparison. You did not do that, which was a great move, and I was anticipating the solo saying to myself, "please don't let this sound like Petrucci."

The pounding heaviness was perfect as well. Mention anything Prog and I will listen--from the soft to the heavy. Great job!

ginodi
ginodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
msundh

High class as usual. Liked the change ~3:30
Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
mschuster

@ginodi - thank you! i'm not sure i could play like Petrucci even if i wanted to, so no danger there. thanks for listening and your comments.

@msundh - thank you Mikael!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

Love it! Great tune and great playing. I don't care for the part at 3:30 so much. When everything else abruptly stops and the solo keeps going, it almost sounds like a bad edit. But that's the only thing negative that I could say and it's probably a personal thing rather than a production thing.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Love it! Great tune and great playing. I don't care for the part at 3:30 so much. When everything else abruptly stops and the solo keeps going, it almost sounds like a bad edit. But that's the only thing negative that I could say and it's probably a personal thing rather than a production thing.
hi Jeff - i agree, 3:30 is a little dodgy. i think the idea is good there, i just executed it poorly. the edits just prior to the solo could have been a little tighter and the intro of the solo itself could have been timed a little better. i always do solos last and unfortunately that's when my interest in a song starts to wane a bit. thanks for listening and your comments!
Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
hi Jeff - i agree, 3:30 is a little dodgy. i think the idea is good there, i just executed it poorly. the edits just prior to the solo could have been a little tighter and the intro of the solo itself could have been timed a little better. i always do solos last and unfortunately that's when my interest in a song starts to wane a bit. thanks for listening and your comments!
I think if the other instruments just hit a sustaining note with the solo intro over it, that would work very well. Just a suggestion but would require some recuts.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
Dream Of Sleeping

Very impressive. I really like the sound of the drums. I really like the bit at 34 seconds where the harmony guitar comes in the on chord change. So many interesting musical moments. And the vocals are suitably over the top.

I think rock/metal music is really the hardest kind of music to do on a computer and you really pull it off. When I try and make rock songs I always get overwhelmed by what order to do things. So I end up being lazy about the structure or instrumentation. If you have time I'd love to hear a bit about your process for arranging your songs and making decisions. Well done!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
Very impressive. I really like the sound of the drums. I really like the bit at 34 seconds where the harmony guitar comes in the on chord change. So many interesting musical moments. And the vocals are suitably over the top.

I think rock/metal music is really the hardest kind of music to do on a computer and you really pull it off. When I try and make rock songs I always get overwhelmed by what order to do things. So I end up being lazy about the structure or instrumentation. If you have time I'd love to hear a bit about your process for arranging your songs and making decisions. Well done!
thanks!

my approach to putting songs together is definitely a cumulative process. i guess one of the great advantages of doing it all myself. i almost always start with a guitar riff and build from there. sometimes - to mix things up - i'll lay down some drums first, and then build on that. But 90% of the time i usually start with the guitar. once i get something working between the guitars and drums - i'll add the bass. usually work with those three core pieces to get the fundamental structure of the song - and then write some lyrics and embellish from there.

for me, the most fun i ever have with a song is during those early days of just writing it. no massive expectations yet. just pure creativity and the joy of creating something new. once done with that phase, it can sometimes become a death march. i've gotten a little more picky with age, regarding what i'll spend time on these days. if after writing the basic outline of the song things just aren't clicking - i'll either completely drop the song - or just rework the whole thing. i never use to do that years ago. i've released enough crap in my lifetime - no sense in adding insult to injury...

thanks for asking about this!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Dream Of Sleeping

Thanks for replying!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
Pickasso

Really fantastic- both the music and the mix! What are you using for your guitar tones?
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickasso View Post
Really fantastic- both the music and the mix! What are you using for your guitar tones?
Thank you!

DI -> poulin legion-> x50 (cab only - SinMix MesST Vtype 04 dc)-> reafir -> reaXcomp -> BX opto pedal
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
BCF1

Definitely has some great playing and musicianship iii's of course top notch as expected. Really cool. It has a big massive sound, like that a lot. I am so not a prog guy.....at all.
Don't know why that is but, it is. Oh well. Great work as always Swami !!!!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post
Definitely has some great playing and musicianship iii's of course top notch as expected. Really cool. It has a big massive sound, like that a lot. I am so not a prog guy.....at all.
Don't know why that is but, it is. Oh well. Great work as always Swami !!!!
thanks Erik!