COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
stw
Human being with feelings

Default Basic file io

My next challenge is to prepare my plug for some basic file reads and writes to handle user data.
Unfortunately my trials with standard input/output classes failed. Since i couldn't find any examples on how to deal with that in wdl i'd like to ask if i may have overlooked something. If not maybe someone could pass me some basic information?
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw View Post
My next challenge is to prepare my plug for some basic file reads and writes to handle user data.
Unfortunately my trials with standard input/output classes failed. Since i couldn't find any examples on how to deal with that in wdl i'd like to ask if i may have overlooked something. If not maybe someone could pass me some basic information?
While I would usually advocate using the C++ standard library for many tasks, file I/O tends to be a sore point where it IMHO just doesn't work well. WDL has the WDL_FileRead and WDL_FileWrite classes (fileread.h and filewrite.h) that might work better. Of course, as usual, no obvious example code exists on how to use them.

If you'd like, I can try writing some code that uses those WDL classes? It would be helpful to know what kind of data exactly you need to write and read, though...
Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
While I would usually advocate using the C++ standard library for many tasks, file I/O tends to be a sore point where it IMHO just doesn't work well. WDL has the WDL_FileRead and WDL_FileWrite classes (fileread.h and filewrite.h) that might work better. Of course, as usual, no obvious example code exists on how to use them.

If you'd like, I can try writing some code that uses those WDL classes? It would be helpful to know what kind of data exactly you need to write and read, though...
HI Xenakios,
thanks for the hint. The WDL File classes should be my staring point then. I'll take a look into them.
I just need some very basic string i/o. The goal is to store some controller data and registration files which hopefully shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.
But anyway as i said in another thread any working example is worth thousands of lines of theory. If you like to give it a spin you're greatly welcomed! :-)
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Xenakios

Looks like the WDL file classes are not designed to help dealing with text data...Writing is fairly trivial, but reading requires more careful handling...

Writing is like :

Code:
        WDL_FileWrite outfile("C:\\ssd_tests\\wdl_test_file.txt");
        if (outfile.IsOpen()==true)
        {
            std::string txt1("Foo\n");
            outfile.Write(txt1.data(),txt1.size());
            std::string txt2("Bar\n");
            outfile.Write(txt2.data(),txt2.size());
        } else std::cout << "could not open file for writing\n";
Reading would start something like :

Code:
        WDL_FileRead infile("C:\\ssd_tests\\wdl_test_file.txt");
        if (infile.IsOpen()==true)
        {
            std::vector<char> buffer(infile.GetSize()+1); // +1 to have space for the terminating zero
            infile.Read(buffer.data(),infile.GetSize());
            buffer[infile.GetSize()]='\0'; // put in the string terminating zero
But I think I will leave the rest (parsing newlines etc) as an exercise for the reader...(No pun intended.)

If you need to handle text files, perhaps the C++ standard library facilities might be worth looking into again, after all...What kinds of problems did you encounter while trying to use them? (My own pains with ifstream and ofstream have mostly been when trying to use them for binary files, such as wav-files etc...For text files they may work tolerably enough.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-06-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
stw

Quote:
If you need to handle text files, perhaps the C++ standard library facilities might be worth looking into again, after all...What kinds of problems did you encounter while trying to use them? (My own pains with ifstream and ofstream have mostly been when trying to use them for binary files, such as wav-files etc...For text files they may work tolerably enough.)
Hi Xenakios,
thanks for your examples. I'll try to deal with these later.
However when i first tried the standard file i/o libs i was on OSX and got several errors just by including the libs and use of basic codings. I guessed that maybe there should be some special treatment for the WDL lib.
After your advise to look into it again i did the same on my Win OS and could successful do what failed before. So either i definitely did something wrong in my first approach on OSX or there might be platform dependent differences. If i had to guess the voting clearly goes to users (my) failure. ;-)
I'll take the OSX challenge again tomorrow and hopefully it works as good as now.
Again thanks for helping :-)
Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
olilarkin

although you should get the hang of reading and writing to files with stdio.h first, for storing simple preferences you should check out swell-ini.cpp in WDL which allows you to use the windows WritePrivateProfileString / GetPrivateProfileString methods on OSX to read/write a .ini file . That is what i am using for global preferences in my latest plugin. The WDL-OL standalone app wrapper uses it to store info about the audio interface etc.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
nofish

Quote:
Code:
        WDL_FileWrite outfile("C:\\ssd_tests\\wdl_test_file.txt");
        if (outfile.IsOpen()==true)
        {
            std::string txt1("Foo\n");
            outfile.Write(txt1.data(),txt1.size());
            std::string txt2("Bar\n");
            outfile.Write(txt2.data(),txt2.size());
        } else std::cout << "could not open file for writing\n";
How would I use this to write a file to Reaper's resource path ?

I've tried
Code:
char buf[1024];
strcpy(buf, GetResourcePath());
strcpy(buf, "wdl_test_file.txt");
WDL_FileWrite outfile(buf); 

if (outfile.IsOpen() == true)
It kinda half-works, i.e. a file is written, but it's not in Reaper's resource path.
I guess my non-knowledge about C strings comes to light again here...

edit:
Forgot to mention, this is in SWS extensions, so GetResourcePath() works, I can see when I set a breakpoint, I'm having trouble with the string concatenation obviously.

Last edited by nofish; 04-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
ynohtna

Your second call to strcpy overwrites your buffer contents (the result of GetResourcePath()) with "wdl_test_file.txt" because it's using strcpy again.

That second call should be using strcat instead. I'm sure you'll work out why if you look up the docs for strcpy & strcat.
ynohtna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I guess my non-knowledge about C strings comes to light again here...
Please try to avoid using raw C strings in C++ code if in any way possible...Pretty much anything available in C++ will be better than that. WDL_String would be worth looking into in WDL/SWS context.

If you have other functions/classes that want raw C strings as arguments, WDL_String has the Get() method to get the raw char* C string buffer. There may sometimes however be cases where using a C++ string wrapper will not work, but most code should not be written considering those pathological cases.

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-07-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote